Slapped cheek

Mummy&bump

Reaction score
Well my happiness doesn't seem to last long this pregnancy! Got the all clear from my consultant today that I could go back to midwife led care and had a sneaky scan, shows he's exactly 5lb so nice weight and was also told if I do go into labour again they won't stop it....that lasted till 1pm till I got back and noticed a nasty rash on my little boys face! Seen the doctor and its been confirmed he has slapped cheek :-( which of course iv never had so I need to wait till tues to find out if the bloods they still have for me show up that I'm immune, if they don't I need to go get more bloodworm to see if iv caught it from him which I'm really really hoping I havnt or I'm straight back to consultant led as I'd be apparently at risk of stillbirth :-(

Just keeps getting better and better :-(

Odd, slapped cheek doesn't cause any increased risk of complications for your baby when you get it in third tri, not sure why they are worried. My son had it a month ago, doc wasn't concerned at all.

On third tri it's not too dangerous. Been through this with little one as well. It's common childhood disease just like chicken pox so likely you are immune. I was. So fingers crossed

Catherine it can cause the baby to become anemic and die from that. It is one possibility for my daughter's death.

By catching it in third tri? I know it can be very dangerous if contracted in earlier pregnancy (possible causing fetal hydrops, my sister had a lot of icreased monitoring after she had it in second trimester, but every doc I've known as said the risk is pretty mich nil in third trimester. Even the NHS site says no risk after 20 wks.

Yeah as amjon said! The mw said it is 'more' risky before the 20 week mark but while he's still in there developing it can cause problems like amjon said with severe anaemia which could lead to 'stillbirth' Keeping everything crossed i am immune but iv never knowingly had it but that doesn't mean I'm not immune :-( totally don't need this stress on top of everything else's that's happened! Its going to be a looooooong weekend till I reach tues! I'm not even aloud near any maternity units for 21days unless it comes back immune :-(

By catching it in third tri? I know it can be very dangerous if contracted in earlier pregnancy, my sister had a lot of icreases monitoring after she had it in second trimester, but every doc I've known as said the risk is pretty mich nil in third trimester.
She was 27 weeks. It is still a slight risk in 3rd. The earlier the worse it is though.

By catching it in third tri? I know it can be very dangerous if contracted in earlier pregnancy, my sister had a lot of icreases monitoring after she had it in second trimester, but every doc I've known as said the risk is pretty mich nil in third trimester.

The risk is still less but there, my friend also lost her baby at 27 weeks but i believe its very rare in 3rd tri x

Yes by catching it in third tri aswell! There's a number of reported cases of women catching it at 34 weeks and there wee babies didn't make it, there's a report about how mw's didn't act quick enough on the bbc news website as it used to take them over a week to Get results back from the lab! Its all changed here now because of it and the turn around for bloodworm on it is 24hrs but because its fri and I missed the van pick up for bloods it will e mon or tues at latest before I know

Push those bloods mine took 10days to come back as analysis was sent to st Thomas for experts to examine!!! Push and push I did. It was only when I became ill. Which turned out to be viral and not linked that they got worried and with 6 hours my results were back!! I was 28 - 30 weeks so not long ago

Hope results come back ok :hugs:

I was tested few weeks back. I never knew id had it but must have done at some point as results showed i was immune- nurse said most people have had it as a child xx

Thanks mrsdcooper, they said they are checking previous bloods first to check for the immunity which will be back tues latest if I'm not immune il have blood taken hopefully tht day to check I havnt caught it! They just said to keep an eye on my movements and for and flu like symptoms or feeling unwell! Luckily he's moving like crazy all day/night but the minute he's quite for any length of time I'm going to freak till I know!

Laraloo - yeah they said that to me aswell that most people have had it without knowing so I'm hoping for that!

I had to laugh when she said to try stay as clear from ds as possible! He's only just turned 4 what am I supposed to do abandon him till I know for sure, its not possible he's still my baby xxx

I had to wait 7 days for my immunity results for slap cheek mind just a heads up as the nurse told me 24 but when they weren't back and rang hospital to chase they said all immunity testing takes 7 days my docs are useless though hope everything's ok I wasn't immune but no harm to baby x

I think its cartnavel that have them :-s not entirely sure, il give them till tues if not il go bush, its the weight that's worse than anything!

I thought my sons face would at least be starting to look a little better this morning but if anything it looks worse its more red and swollen :-( just glad it doesn't annoy him! Must be one of those things that looks sorer than it feels xxx

I teach and it was in school when I was in my first trimester. Most people have immunity without even realising. A lot of children catch it and show very few symptoms - can be mistaken for teething etc. Even if you do catch it, the chance of passing it on to your baby is small. I know that's easy to say afterwards and I was so worried at the time. To make things worse I was initially told I had immunity and then when I double checked because another case had appeared in my class, they said they had never received my results so whoever gave me the results gave me ones for something else. After more time off work and chasing results they were fine and I have immunity. I found some doctors weren't very aware of the dangers to pregnant women and I received mixed messages. One said it was worse in first tri, another said it was worse in third. My dh's cousin was fantastic for me, though, as she actually caught slapped cheek when pregnant (didn't pass it on to baby but had loads of extra checks - thankfully everything perfect and she has the most gorgeous daughter) and she was very much in the know about it. I hope that helps a bit x

There are high risks in any tri!!

I am currently going through the same, Daughter had slap cheek, i was tested and shown I had no immunity, so now I have to have another blood test on the 12th to see if i have contacted it or not, if so then there will be a scan asap and possible blood transfusion to baby

Yeah thu mentioned this blood transfusion to baby to me aswell iv I have not immunity and my blood work shows up iv caught it! But a blood transfusion seems such a massive thing thing to me ESP to a unborn baby! I wonder if they would just deliver me instead cause iv be nearly 36 weeks by the time the sorted it all out I'd imagine :-s

I had never even heard of slapped cheek I thought he just had really bad prickly heat! Xx

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and found out 3 weeks ago I had contracted slapped cheek. Had to wait another 2 weeks to go for a scan to check if I had passed the virus to him (looked for fluid around organs&issues with blood flow in cord) but they said scan looked good in the end. Discussed beforehand tho that if they did see something abnormal around his organs from the scan it could be that he had developed anemia and a blood transfusion would possibly be an option whilst in the womb. However Now they say they won't do anything else since scan was clear and pregnancy/labour should go ahead as normal which I am really not happy about, as I'm in 3rd tri and risks are 'reduced'. Midwife did say tho that they will be monitoring his heart rate carefully when in labour cause if it is high it could be due to the fact he has the infection and they would do emergency c section. My thoughts are with you because this is such a worrying thing to go through, with what feels like to me, very little support/research from docs about this potentially fatal virusxx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->