Sleep.....and SPD (general moan)

cyanidepill

Reaction score
During the day my SPD is really annoying. If i sit down for even a short while then get up - i have searing pain in my pelvic joint. If i walk for any distance I can feel the joint clicking and the pain is sickening.

You'd think that laying down would perhaps bring some comfort.....

I can't lay on my back as the baby is sitting so low down that as soon as i lay on my back i need to pee again! so i can lay on my right or left side only. Which is becoming a nightmare.

When I do finally fall asleep, it's usually only for an hour at a time and then i have to get up to pee, and thats where the big problem is.

When i get up out of bed, I can stand and take the weight on both feet, but the second i go to transfer weight from one foot to the other to take steps forward the pain has me nearly in tears. My left hip is much much worse. It gets to the point i've got to put a hand on the wall in case i fall, and i wonder if i'll make it to the toilet at all sometimes.

I have a maternity brace to use during the day - but have been warned that using it can weaken back muscles. I can't afford for this to happen as i'm still recovering from a spinal fusion op that i had March 2010 (recovery is 24months for this) - so to weaken the back muscles would be asking for trouble.

I have crutches in the house in case they will help but they're not doing anything to help me, it's still that transferring of weight which is causing a problem, even if i use them.

If i fall asleep on my left side, and try and turn to my right to get out of bed or even to turn and shift position it's almost like my left hip won't move at all. It's sort of locked and my leg is straight, with again the searing pain.

I'm going to see my midwife again on Tuesday and will have to mention that to her then. I'm due to have a section at 39 weeks,....and i've just turned 31 weeks today........that 39 seems like a lifetime away with this pain.

Just felt the need to vent and wondered if anyone else with SPD has these problems x

Same here no advice but just wanted to let you know your not alone x

Same here - you are def not alone. I have been offered to get induced at 38 weeks because it's so bad (still don't know if I want to though cos of horror stories from people who have been induced) Last night I woke up and needed a wee and as I got up my back went CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH and then it takes me about 15 mins just to get my feet on the floor and "walk" (hobble) to the toilet.......... its agony isn't it :-( I was in tears the other day cos I got stuck on the loo lol and couldn't even get up! My hubby had to come in and pull my knickers up and help me up!

I'm there in tears with you honey, nights are awful with severe SPD. I'm afraid I have little to offer, I have exhausted all options also. I sleep propped up in a semi sitting position with hundreds of pillows, but obviously have change position frequently due to the pressure building, but side sleeping seems slightly better on a well supported incline. I take co-codamol at night. Its the only time I take them although it doesn't do more than help me a little. I know this sounds really ridiculous but I resorted to sitting on an office chair on wheels the other night to 'walk' to the bath room. Is your bathroom on the same floor? I know what you mean about it being the hardest time to try and walk. That walk to the bathroom is the most hideous thing every after you have been to sleep, the joints just don't want to work at all do they.

Anyhow, sorry I can't really help you more :hugs: x

I understand your pain hun. Are you going for physio?

For the rolling over in bed, if you have an OH at home you can do what I sometimes do, ask your OH to gently push you over. Luckily my OH can push me over in his sleep and fall back to sleep again quite quickly lol.

With walking to go to the loo, it is hard, you might have to keep your crutches by your bed side. What I tend to do - although it messes with my sleep is stand still for about a minute and gently rock from side to side until I think I can take a step.

I am still waiting for my physio to provide a brace, but she has given me some exercises to do which strengthen my glutes and back - they do hurt though :(

Oh hun I feel for you, turning over in bed makes me break out in a sweat before I even do it as I know it's going to hurt so badly, I generally don't sleep past 4am any more because after the 6th time of getting up for a wee I'm in so much pain I just give up on sleep!

Who said being pregnant was easy!

I had severe SPD in my 1st pregnancy and the physio and occupational therapist sorted me out with a slide sheet for the bed to make turning over easier (or invest in some satin PJ's) and a pulley thing-a-ma-jig that went round the footboard that I could use to pull myself up on (a belt or something would probably work. I was also offered a commode (but refused, I had some dignity then as I hadn't yet given birth :rofl:) Could you ask if those things are available to you? I still had to crawl to the loo 65 times a night though :dohh:

I'm right there with you. SPD during the day for me is bad enough but as soon as I lay down, I wish I hadn't! :dohh: It's sooo painful and nothing I've done at night will help. Getting up to the toilet or when my son wakes for the toilet or a cuddle is a complete mission and takes me ages, so usually my hubby gets woke up to see Jayden incase he can't find his night time potty and I'm left struggling to get up for a pee. I so love my baby girl growing in my belly and cannot wait to meet her, but I'm so over pregnancy lol xxxxxx

I understand your pain hun. Are you going for physio?

For the rolling over in bed, if you have an OH at home you can do what I sometimes do, ask your OH to gently push you over. Luckily my OH can push me over in his sleep and fall back to sleep again quite quickly lol.

With walking to go to the loo, it is hard, you might have to keep your crutches by your bed side. What I tend to do - although it messes with my sleep is stand still for about a minute and gently rock from side to side until I think I can take a step.

I am still waiting for my physio to provide a brace, but she has given me some exercises to do which strengthen my glutes and back - they do hurt though :(

I'm not allowed physio, which sounds odd doesn't it lol. Due to me still being under the very watchful eye of my spinal surgeon, no one else is allowed to touch me without his say so. I trust him beyond belief and our main priority is that my spine holds out throughout this pregnancy.

I injured my spine 16 years ago after being thrown from a horse on to concrete. Fractured my lumbar spine and prolapsed 2 discs. In the last 9 years i've had 4 major spinal surgeries. 2 to remove parts of the discs which had pinched the nerves causing numbness in my legs, and 2 ops to fuse the lower portion of my spine (L4/5 S1) I've now got 6 titanium screws, 2 rods and a bone graft. The first op for the fusion but that metal work in place.....but then i broke a rod on the right and the bone graft failed so they had to go in last year, replace the rod and add larger screws in places so they would grip better - and had another bone graft. Bloody painful that lot was.

So throughout this pregnancy it's been a case of keeping my spine as healthy as it can be. Fusions aren't designed with pregnancy in mind lol. I have to say i am amazed that it's held out so well. I'm 31 weeks today and my spine is totally pain free. It's just my pelvis thats giving me the grief, but sadly they can't offer physio - other than have the brace or crutches which could make my spine weak. grrrr :dohh:

With my SPD with my first, i had only had the two ops to remove disc from my spine - so mechanically my spine was much more unstable then, and by this stage back in 2003 I was on crutches all day and had the brace on.

I feel quite chuffed that i'm not using those things this time. I actually feel that we've sussed my back this time around. If i can get to 39 weeks and my section with my spine the way it is - i've done it, after 16 years of pain, this is the most major thing i'll have overcome.

I have a stupidly high pain threshold due to the spinal trouble, but the spd is to tiring. Even when sitting, just to reshuffle my feet on the floor - the pelvis joint hurts. grrr xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->