Sleep Sense Support Group!

Foogirl - sounds like it's worked wonders for you. Must have been such hard work dealing with naps on your own, and three times a day!! I think I'll struggle a lot with that too when we get to it.

historygirls - thanks! You're hopefully right, that we've done the hardest bit now...

Last night it took only 20 mins for her to go to sleep and her cry was much more of a 'before going to sleep' cry, not mad at all. She woke once at 9.30pm but settled by herself within the magic 10 mins. She woke up at 3.50am and I fed her, then she went back to sleep without any crying at all, just after 10 mins of lying happy in bed. It's absolutely amazing. I guess that's what sticking to the same routine can do!!! Ms Obleman does know what she's talking about!

Petite Moi - you are doing so well already and you can last the ten minutes?!?!? I could only last 5 minutes of wake up crying before i went in, it used to drive OH mad as he could do 10 minutes. Last night sounded good and it is so much easier when they crying is understandable (ie. I am just going off to sleep and I am grumberling) rather than all out screaming with no meaning behind it! I hope she keeps improving - but remember the nights it all goes wrong to keep sticking to it!

Petite it sounds as though you are making great progress - well done! Keep it up, it'll be so worth it :)

history_girls: The only reason I can last the 10 mins I think is that I know it's worked in the past! My husband made me try it, it was hard!!! But it seems she does seem to go back to sleep by herself within those 10 mins which makes it worth it. I do get a big lump in my belly listening to her though, it's awful. She's making more of a proper cry tonight but I guess you'll always get good and bad nights... fingers crossed she settles soon, she's been crying for 20 mins and doesn't seem to be settling.

Cattia: thank you! Perhaps it's been too good to be true as tonight she seems a bit more unsettled. It makes it harder in a way when you expect it to be really easy and for her to go to sleep quicker and quicker! She's quiet now though so fingers crossed!!!

I've missed lots - so will have to back track and read all the posts! Petite - get the impression that all is going well? :hugs:

Happy New Year, everyone!! Hope you've had lovely holidays?

Decorations now down in the TG household, much to the chagrin of Lizzie :D We've had a really, really lovely time...but poor ole La Liz got another lurgy, so had a few not so good days of temperature and not eating. We're now having a ball going through all her new toys and books!

She's also started to sleep a liiittttle later in the mornings, which is bliss! 7:00 feels like a real treat ;)

Can't believe it's all over for another year! Have thoroughly enjoyed every minute - family, friends, food, festivity, carols in church, pressies!!

TG!!!!!! Happy new year my lovely.

Fibby was very sad to see the decorations come down but consoled herself with playing the the big pile of christmas cards on the lounge floor reading each one to herself before chucking it behind her - why did I buy her proper gifts?

Fibby has been sleeping in until 8am - tomorrow will be a nasty shock for everyone in the HG household

and Nigella was under my christmas tree in the form of 'kitchen' - two recipes followed so far and two hits!

Petite moi - some nights are worse and they take longer - she will go. I think we had our 90 minute screamer about 8 days in but the next day 5 mins max and no longer. I read somewhere it takes 3 days to change a babies routine.

:hugs:

8am?!?! Blimey - that's fabulous!! Go Fibby!!

Lizzie was similarly transfixed by the cards - some she approved of (read them, chatted and then put down carefully)...some she clearly thought were awful, and ripped in a fit of rage! :rofl:

Kitchen is fab, isn't it?! Would highly recommend the sweet/salty choccie slabs - v easy and utterly, utterly delish. DH and Lizzie go for the choc chip bread and butter pudding ;)

Did Fibby have fun over the hols?

Did Fibby have fun? Oh blimey me yes she did. She worked out what presents were quite quickly and enjoyed handing them out and opening them and eating the sparkly bows MIL had stuck on all the presents. She was adorable and generally well behaved - naps on christmas day were a disaster but as soon as we let her get up and join in she behaved herself.

We spolit her rotten - but her ladybird toddler rucksack is a huge hit as it means she can walk all by herself when we are out and about but I can keep her under control (one whole shelf in a bookshop last week was trashed by Fibby in less than 10 seconds much to my embarassment and her delight).

What about Miss Lizzie? Did she love it all? Any diva moments?

Nigella's chilli is a hit with OH and I'm off to get the book for a nose after your recomendations!

Aw, Fibby! So glad she had a good time!! And love her destroying a shelf :D

Lizzie had a balllll - similarly, she worked out what pressies were quite quickly, and kept doing a little foot to foot jig of utter joy when something new was opened. She'd hold a pressie and give an enthusiastic 'YES' - to the amusement of all! She was, also, spoiled rotten...but she also gave everyone one of her books (well, so family members thought - DH and I knew it was a ploy to start a giant read-off :rofl:)

She was fabulous company, didn't nap - but enjoyed seeing everyone and the general fuss and festivity. She ate like a trooper, too!!

We have had some diva moments - namely involving her desire to walk in treacherous conditions and discovering that she can reach the chocolate plates. Interestingly, she didn't choose to eat them - merely throw them at cat, until she got his attention!

I've got the 'can it really be over?' feeling, though - am sure we only started the hols two minutes ago!?

Go Lizzie on the read-a-thon. Very resourceful and they had nothing better to do on Christmas Day :haha:

I really don't want the holidays to be over, I have loved being off with her. OH was away for most of the break and back the last few days which has been so lovely. We had breakfast out on Sunday - first time since having Fibby - and she was wonderful, ate everything, amused the crowds. Work is no way near as enjoyable.

If I could work out how to insert a video I would add one (been trying) of Fibby feeding the dog out of the cooking cupboard :dohh: it had gone quiet and she'd been feeding him half a bag of rasins!

Hello ladies. I hope you don't mind me popping in with a question...

I absolutely have to do something about Albert's sleeping. Before I pay for anything on the sleep sense website i just wanted to get a little more information. Does it involve CC? I tried it the other day and it broke my heart (and made my boobs hurt) so don't really want to go down that route :flower:

Yes and no, there is some amount of crying, but its learning about thne type of crying when they fall asleep (whingey,doesnt really need anything against full blown i need something cry) and you tailor it to what You are comfortable with.

Thanks AG. I have a holiday coming up so will start after that i think. I just can't have him up until 11:30 every night!

Dopeyjopey, I think you'll find that for most of us, we took what worked for us and modified it to what suited us and our LO's and what we felt comfortable with. I was never ok with letting Ronan cry when we started, especially as he was much younger (whinge and moan was ok though). You also don't have to ever leave them 'alone' if you don't want to either.

Feel free to ask any and all questions!

history_girls - that's nice and reassuring to know. It only took her 30 mins in the end last night despite her cry being a bit more angry. She then slept till 3.15am when I fed her and went back to sleep after 15 mins (no crying). Woke up at 6.30am this morning. I do feel like I'm robbed of my lie-ins as we used to snuggle in bed, sleeping on and off till about 9am! On the other hand we have our evenings back and she is getting more sleep. Just need to get used to early mornings again!!!

Sounds like you all had lovely Christmases with your little ones! Must be so lovely to see them enjoy themselves - our little girl was still a bit young to know what was going on this Christmas but it was lovely dressing her up and giving her lots of pressies (as she doesn't know what's going on yet she can't get spoilt ;))

Petite - sounds like you're doing brilliantly...the early mornings were a bit new to us, too - as we used to just snooze on and off until 10am; however, having evenings back and a much chirpier Lizzie is definitely *much* better!

DopeyJopey - we always stayed with Lizzie while she was crying...and it wasn't a real 'I'm so upset' cry, it was an 'argh, I'm so annoyed - how do I get to sleep' rant, if you know what I mean? Either way, we felt happiest sitting beside her and comforting her. SS is really good in that way, as the rules are flexible!!

HC - GORGEOUS piccies of wee monkey!

HG - insert the vid! That sounds hilarious!! I know, the post Christmas blues are just rubbish, aren't they? How was the first day back? :hugs:

TennisGal - so true, it's all very much worth it plus when I stop the night time feed I'll probably feel more awake at 6.30am!

It took her 10 mins tonight! Although she woke up after 10 mins again but then settled after a couple of minutes again. So proud of our little princess :)

DopeyJopey - we only just started this method and with the results so far I can't recommend it highly enough. I think it all makes so much sense - teaching them to self settle. And like the other girls have said, it's not about leaving them to "cry it out" at all. Some crying will be involved but they won't feel abandoned as you're by their side. You're really doing them a 'favour' by teaching them how to go to sleep and the crying is all about confusion that the routines have changed - but they seem to get used to a new routine (if you stick to it!) really really quickly. We're on our 5th night and like I said it took 10 mins, and she didn't even cry, just whinged a bit.

PetiteMoi - So you should be proud! 10 minutes how fab - bet you don't know what to do with yourself now!!!!

Working on the video inclusion but year 11 coursework is hounding me and I am covered in paper - I only came on to find a mark scheme but BnB tempted me!!!

Some crying will be involved but they won't feel abandoned as you're by their side. You're really doing them a 'favour' by teaching them how to go to sleep and the crying is all about confusion that the routines have changed - but they seem to get used to a new routine (if you stick to it!) really really quickly. We're on our 5th night and like I said it took 10 mins, and she didn't even cry, just whinged a bit.

Plus, as I always said, better they cry for a wee while, for a couple of weeks till they get the hang of it, than cry for hours every bedtime, or when waking in the night, for months and months. Short term pain for the long term gain.

Glad it is working for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->