Sleep Sense Support Group!

Here it is - sorry it is so narrow but filmed on the phone. She is a whatsit and I sound like Joyce Grenfell for some reason!!!!:haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc8RbaEqCHg

OOOOMMMMGGGG she is SOO cute! She says 'uh oh' just the same as Abigail does as well! Adorable!!!

That's very very cute.

And yes, all you needed to add was "Phoebe....Don't do that....."

HG - such a cute video, but I admit I cringed since raisins and grapes can be toxic to doggies. Thankfully Maxy seems to have a cast iron digestive system like Bailey!

Hoooooowwwwww cute!!! I love the kind of 'yes, you may want me to stop, mummy-but I'm just giving another handful!'

Sooooo cute!!!

history_girls - that video is so cute, Fibby is adorable!! I couldn't watch it with sound but you can so tell in her eyes she knows she might not be allowed to do what she's doing, she's sort of looking for approval :)

It took her 10 mins to fall asleep again but she's very unsettled as she keeps waking up and crying. DH just checked on her and she was lying diagonally across the bed with her little bunny rabbit away from her, so he repositioned her and put her bunny next to her and she settled straight away. We'll see if she wakes up again...

She just woke again and crying :( We're doing the 10 min thing still but it's so hard. She starts and stops the whole time so we're not sure when to check on her! She cried for a couple of mins, quiet for 4 mins then starts again :( We could be in for a difficult night!

Fingers crossed, Petite :hugs:

Lizzie news: she smashed an ornament today - she was asked to put it down, and said 'NO' and dropped it in a fit of pique. Normally I wouldn't react, but I thought I ought to start explaining behaviours etc. So, got down to her level - low, firm voice...and she went red and really quiet. Went and sat by herself in the corner, reading a book! I felt *AWFUL*. Especially as she never really gets admonished. I left her for about a minute, then we had big hugs. Did I do the right thing? There was no shouting, just a firm explanation!!

We've literally played all day - Daddy was back to work - when he walked in, she literally sprinted over with a 'Hi there, Daddy' and gave him a whopping kiss! V cute!

TennisGal - I can totally understand how you must feel but I think you did the right thing - as parents we have to teach our kids right from wrong and you did it in the best way possible! If you hadn't explained to her it was the wrong thing to do, she would keep 'testing' her boundaries with you. Children feel safe knowing where the boundaries are and as long as she feels loved by you it's fine to be firm with them too! :hugs:

Hi TG! Sounds as though she got the message! Its really hard at this age to know how to approach behaviour isn't it. Abigail keeps going in a cupboard in the kitchen where I keep cleaning stuff (DH hasn'tgot round to fitting the cupboard locks yet!) and I tell her 'No' really firmly. I am pretty sure she understands becasue she stops and looks at me, then carries on! If we repeat that more than two or three times then I will pick her up and move her away from the cupboard. I'm hoping that will make her understand. I also tell her firmly 'No' when she drops her food on the floor, and she waits until she knows I am looking then does it again and smiles! I have to try really hard to put on my firm teacher face and not to laugh as it is actually really cute but I know if I don't start making it clear to her now then it will be unfair on her to expect her to know when she's older.

Fingers crossed, Petite :hugs:

Lizzie news: she smashed an ornament today - she was asked to put it down, and said 'NO' and dropped it in a fit of pique. Normally I wouldn't react, but I thought I ought to start explaining behaviours etc. So, got down to her level - low, firm voice...and she went red and really quiet. Went and sat by herself in the corner, reading a book! I felt *AWFUL*. Especially as she never really gets admonished. I left her for about a minute, then we had big hugs. Did I do the right thing? There was no shouting, just a firm explanation!!

We've literally played all day - Daddy was back to work - when he walked in, she literally sprinted over with a 'Hi there, Daddy' and gave him a whopping kiss! V cute!

Sounds more successful than my attempts. Abby is into major tantrums just now and I haven't found any way to get through to her. I started giving her a warning "tempeerrrr" Now she says it herself when she throws a strop. And worse, says it to us when we raise our voices.:haha:

Thanks ladies :hugs: FG - Abby has just given me a real belly laugh! I love it!!

Cattia - we have the same thing with food...it seems to improve, and then we have a 'throw on the floor' day all over again :D We get exactly the same thing, the big accompanying grin! I had to leave the table the other day when DH was giving Lizzie a talking to, as I knew I was about to burst out laughing!

Petite - how was last night?

TG - last night was ok but she kept waking up loads until about 10.30pm - she self settled each time though as we left her up to 10 mins. She then woke at 4am and instead of rushing in to feed her I left her 10 mins and within that time she settled again and slept through till 7am! I woke at 6.45am quite worried about her! So was relieved to hear her start stirring at 7! Will see if we manage withot a night feed tonight too :)

Petite - great progress, well done! Your little lady is getting the hang of it so fast!

Thanks Cattia :) She took longer tonight though - 40 mins. The first 15-20 mins she was just chatting away though. Then a bit of angry crying before suddently settling. I expect her to wake up, especially since I've got a very annoying dry cough which is bound to wake her at some point!!! Fingers crossed though...!

Not going great tonight, think she was over tired. She had a nap between 2 and 3pm and then I didn't want to risk giving her another nap because it would be too close to bedtime. Her cry is an angry cry tonight again :( Did you find that you sort of took one step forward and two back sometimes?

Also, another question - we're on our 9th night which means that tomorrow we should just leave her without being in the room at all. I don't feel ready for this as she's still taking a while to settle - and tonight when she cried angrily I went over to her and stroked her and that seemed to calm her down. Did you all leave the room on the 10th night??

Not going great tonight, think she was over tired. She had a nap between 2 and 3pm and then I didn't want to risk giving her another nap because it would be too close to bedtime. Her cry is an angry cry tonight again :( Did you find that you sort of took one step forward and two back sometimes?

Also, another question - we're on our 9th night which means that tomorrow we should just leave her without being in the room at all. I don't feel ready for this as she's still taking a while to settle - and tonight when she cried angrily I went over to her and stroked her and that seemed to calm her down. Did you all leave the room on the 10th night??

I would say she would definitely have been overtired if she hadn't slept since 3 p.m. At that age Thomas could only manage two hours before becoming overtired. When he was 6 months I managed to get him onto a fairly regular nap routine of 9 a.m., 12.30 p.m. and 4 p.m. I would wake him up at 5 p.m. and he would be ready for bed by 7. It really helped once his naps were more regular.

Regarding your other question, I think you should do what you feel comfortable with. I don't remember counting nights at all. I was staying with Thomas until he fell asleep but then he started waking up as soon as I tried to leave the room so I started leaving the room to let him fall asleep by himself. I think once you are following the basic principles and are basically consistent in your approach then you can adapt the programme to suit your baby's own individual needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->