Sleep Sense Support Group!

Foogirl - aaaaw that's sooo cute!!! I love watching her finding her own ways of settling and comforting herself. Perhaps I should be worried that we'll have a hard time making her stop sucking her thumb in the future but at the moment I'm loving it, and it's so, so cute :)

Foogirl - aaaaw that's sooo cute!!! I love watching her finding her own ways of settling and comforting herself. Perhaps I should be worried that we'll have a hard time making her stop sucking her thumb in the future but at the moment I'm loving it, and it's so, so cute :)

I wouldn't worry about that. They do say it can affect their teeth, but you only need to stop them if the problem is becoming apparent. Most children stop easily by themselves. If thumb sucking is the price to pay for a good night's sleep, I'd happily take that compromise.

One of the ladies in the preemie group has a wee girl who when they put the mitts on, on her sleepsuit, she manages to get her teeny thumbs out so she can still suck them!

Hey, well she did sleep the whole night in the cot and managed to go from 11 - 8.25 without a feed so that is a great result so far!

Tonight, I bathed and fed her as usual and she dropped off to sleep so as it is advised not to put them down asleep I gently woke her enough that she was aware of me putting her in the cot. She did have a grumble but cuddled up to her penguin (she calls it duck as all birds are duck at the mo) and laid down. She did get up a few times but I tapped the bed and she laid back down. She seemed to settle within about 30 mins so I came downstairs but had to go up once to resettle her (just by going in and sitting by the bed of course, not taking her out or anything). I think she is getting to realise that this is how it is and it is better for her and so far, it seems to be going in the right direction.... who knows what the evening will bring but for now, I am making the most of her being asleep :)

Foogirl - thanks, I agree :) I'll stop worrying about it. That's so funny how that little baby managed to find her thumbs anyway.

Chrissie - sounds like your gorgeous little girl is doing very well!! Keep up the good work!

Katie settled a bit better tonight, she actually laid straight down at bedtime, although we have had a few grumbles and I have had to go give her a bit of attention once. She is taking to it so much quicker than I anticipated though :) I do have one issue in that she wakes around 4, asks for milk, I say no, she cries and goes back to sleep, then she wakes at 5ish and cries off and on for an hour before finally going back to sleep..... hopefully that will disappear in the coming weeks as at the moment I am existing on 4 hours of broken sleep as I am struggling to sleep when she is crying and cant get back to sleep once I have been woken up.....lol.... never happy eh! :rofl:
Hows it going Petite?

Welcome chrissie! I'm glad things are going so well so quickly for you.

Petite, how's your LO doing?

For those of you whose LO's are down to one nap a day, around what age did they transition? I'm not sure if it's just because Ronan's been unwell and teething and just generally unsettled, but some days he'll take 2 nice naps but other days he's sleeping a bit later in the morning, staying up longer than normal and ending up napping through the middle of the day and then not wanting to go down for a second nap later on in the afternoon even if he's tired and could really use one.

I figured we'd have a few months yet before he'd want to drop down to one nap!

Well after a year Alex transitioned from 2 naps to 1. I think itll maybe because hes waking up later in the day, when Alex does that he takes his nap much later and closer to bedtime so ends up being a shorter one.

That's what i thought too. He woke at 6:30 this morning and refused to go back to sleep and then only napped a half hour from 9:30 to 10. It's not even midday and I'm already exhausted after only 4 hours of broken sleep last night. :(

We're also in the midst of a blizzard and our power went out just after 8 this morning. It's getting cold in here.

Chrissie - well done to you and little Katie!
I've got a similar issue that she wakes a couple of times at night now and won't settle within the 10 mins so i feed her - she does go straight back to sleep afterwards so that might mean she actually is hungry?? Or am i creating a bad habit? It's just I can't bear watching her cry when i know she hasn't eaten in several hours!!

hivegirl (and chrissie): it's going really well thanks (apart from above issue) - 10 mins with no crying again yesterday. I'm very tired tho due to the night wakings..!

Well i would be a hypocrite if i lectured you on the fact she doesnt need milk in the night now as I have only just stopped feeding Katie through the night. I was the same as you to be honest but I had to draw a line somewhere. Katie is on solids though and has been for months whereas your lo is not yet I assume? How many times is she feeding at night? Katie still has a 11pm feed and then her next one is at 8 but I am aiming to drop the 11 feed in the next few weeks as she doesnt need that one either really, just letting her have it to give her a bit of a softer transition to no feeds after bed/bath time.

Katie had her usual bedtime routine, cried when I put her in the cot but didnt sit up or anything and so I left the room. She started to moan a bit but stopped within 5 mins and is now asleep :)

Hi ladies! I've just heard about this method and am wondering at what ages you started using this with your LO's. My son is almost 18 wks old and we are considering some sleep training in the near future. I was referred to this group after posting in 'Baby Club'.

Thanks!

Chrissie - well done to you and little Katie!
I've got a similar issue that she wakes a couple of times at night now and won't settle within the 10 mins so i feed her - she does go straight back to sleep afterwards so that might mean she actually is hungry?? Or am i creating a bad habit? It's just I can't bear watching her cry when i know she hasn't eaten in several hours!!

hivegirl (and chrissie): it's going really well thanks (apart from above issue) - 10 mins with no crying again yesterday. I'm very tired tho due to the night wakings..!

As long as she isn't falling asleep on the feed, I'd continue it, then follow the process in putting her back down. It might be you're at the point where she is almost ready to drop it but not quite.

chrissie - that's great, she's doing so well already! Do you wake her up for her feed at 11pm or does she wake then?

Our little girl didn't cry again tonight and fell asleep within 10 mins, that's the 3rd night in a row now which is reassuring! Regarding the feeds, it's so hard isn't it as you don't want to deprive them of food but also you don't want to create a habit if they don't really need it. We haven't started weaning her yet but will do so in the next few weeks so once we've started that I'll try to stop the night feeds! I wouldn't mind if it was only once but when it's twice it does break up your sleep a lot. Hope your little girl sleeps well tonight!

As long as she isn't falling asleep on the feed said:
Thanks - i'll do just that I think and then we'll see what happens once we start giving her solids. She does go down really well after the feeds so that's good - I don't let her fall asleep on me and make sure she's awake when I put her down and she normally goes straight back to sleep :)

Hi ladies! I've just heard about this method and am wondering at what ages you started using this with your LO's. My son is almost 18 wks old and we are considering some sleep training in the near future. I was referred to this group after posting in 'Baby Club'.

Thanks!

Hi! Our daughter was 5 monhts when we started. You can start at any time though - the programme outlines different methods depending on how old your little one is. We started just a couple of weeks ago and are seeing great results already.

Thanks!

Abby was about 4 months old. Although developmentally she was only 6 weeks old!

The beauty of this programme is, it gives different processes for children at different ages and there is one tailored to babies under 3 months then 3-6 months. These give you the option of "pick up/put down" to soothe and settle and all of the age ranges give the opportunity to stay in the room with them.

There is no crying it out or controlled crying, although your LO will undoubtedly protest!

Thanks ladies. I think part of me was thinking our LO was still too young. I have the info and plan on reading through it in the next couple of nights. Since you both started this with LO's around the same age as my William, do you have any advice that isn't in the program? Any pointers?

I don't know why, but I'm nervous just thinking about Will being on his own. Currently we co-sleep and it isn't going well as I'm an 'all you can eat buffet'. No one is sleeping.

Thanks ladies. I think part of me was thinking our LO was still too young. I have the info and plan on reading through it in the next couple of nights. Since you both started this with LO's around the same age as my William, do you have any advice that isn't in the program? Any pointers?

I don't know why, but I'm nervous just thinking about Will being on his own. Currently we co-sleep and it isn't going well as I'm an 'all you can eat buffet'. No one is sleeping.

Ignore the bit that says "always sleep in the cot" Get him used to taking naps in the pram, or on a bed etc. Our biggest problem once she was sleeping fine was whenever we were out, she refused to sleep in the pram - or anywhere else!!

Hi ladies :thumbup:

Could i just ask a question or 2?
How do u ladies determine (sp?) whether u think ur LO is waking cause they want a feed or just waking for habit??:shrug::shrug:

Harrison has gone through the night about 3 times, but usually he wakes 1-2 times during the night but firstly i do the dummy thing and sometimes he goes back off after about 30mins of chatting to himself, but then sometimes he doesnt go off atall so i end up feeding him, but not sure if im making it a habit for him iykwim:shrug::shrug:

I dont understand why he slept through the odd nights but still wakes most of the time?:dohh:

Please, any advice would be great :hugs:

Hi ladies :thumbup:

Could i just ask a question or 2?
How do u ladies determine (sp?) whether u think ur LO is waking cause they want a feed or just waking for habit??:shrug::shrug:

This is probably the one question I can't answer! I'm not sure anyone can! You know your LO best. If you think they need the feed, then give it.

We would just settle her without offering it and she went back to sleep.

This blog from Dana may help

https://www.sleepsense.net/blog/is-my-child-waking-because-hes-hungry/

Whilst you're there, take a look on the right hand side, there may well be other blogs which can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->