Sleep Sense Support Group!

Morning!

Well an eventful night!

Heard her wake at 3am. I sat outside the bedroom door for 10 mins but crying was getting louder and more distressed. I went in and fed her. She was ravenous and took both boobs. Put her back in cot at 3:40, it thenn took almost an hour for her to fall asleep but..............almost no crying. Lots of grunting and thrashing, looking at me and maybe 90 secs of mantra cry. I wasn't 100% sure she was asleep when I left the room but she didn't protest. I wonder if I could have left earlier.

Anyway normally after a night feed she'd be up at 5;30 but she didn't wake til 6:35 then spent 10 mins sucking her blankie and blowing raspberries til I couldn't resist going in:happydance:
Feeling v. positive about today.

Foogirl thanks for a great post:hugs:

Bumpontherun-that's brilliant and such an improvement. I'm
so pleased for you. :happydance:

Well...I seriously failed last night :cry: Elliott stirred at about 10.30pm. This went on intermittently until nearly 12am. He was getting himself upset really quickly each time. Rather than just grizzling it was escalating in to full blown crying/sobs almost immediately. I took him in bed with me just after 12am. I feel like such a failure but he sounded so upset. He fed at 1am and 4.15am and was ravenous both times and taking both boobs each time.

He woke at 7.15am, hungry again. Could we ve hitting the 6 month growth spurt or am I looking for an excuse...?:nope:

Well done Bump (and LO!). That's great progress, it's amazing how fast they catch on, isn't it?

Poppy - DON'T PANIC! It is just a blip, and all you need to do is decide what you can do if he cries again, and stick to it in the same way every time.
You are his mummy, and it is natural to want to comfort him, don't feel bad about that.
Is there anything that could have caused the crying such as teething?
If you think he's totally healthy, it could just be that he was testing the waters - What happens if I do this? Will mummy really not pick me up?!
It could well be a growth spurt, but in between feeds it would be great if he could settle in his cot, as then he's getting into the habit of it, and knows what your expectations are.
Have a read through the section in the book about resettling, and what to do if something unusual crops up e.g. illness. It will give you advice about how to keep your routine on track, even when there are problems like this. Really, don't worry. Make a plan for tonight, and see how you go:flower:

Well, we had a great night again, so proud of the little guy - didn't hear a peep until 6am.
Oh, have to add to the Waterloo Road analysis - in a single lunch hour, how could they possibly serve and eat all the meals so slowly, in a restaurant stylee? They'd need about a 2 hour break (hmm, might suggest that when I go back!).

Bump - excellent news :dance:

Poppy - as Jacs said, don't worry :hugs: DD just went through her six month growth spurt (was a long one for us) and she was feeding LOTS. As Jacs says, if you can work on resettling him between feeds...will make a big difference. Previously, when we'd had growth spurts, I was pretty much up all night. I even used to try and sleep on the floor with DD (didn't work!) What made a big difference this time round was the fact she slept after each feed. I agree with Jacs, make a plan that you feel comfortable with and give it a go :hugs:

Jacs - HAPPY 7mth BIRTHDAY, EVAN!! :D Have a lovely day - and fabulous night from the little man!

We had a good night, DD woke for one feed (as we were going to bed, so not too bad at all!) and then woke up at 6:30. Am so pleased and so chuffed with her!! We've had pancakes for brekkie.

Am I the only one who doesn't watch Waterloo Road?! I was watching a sneaky recorded Come Dine With Me after football! Looking forward to the final debate this evening...just hope it doesn't get clouded with 'Gaffe Gate', as every other programme has been since it happened!

Bump - excellent news :dance:

Poppy - as Jacs said, don't worry :hugs: DD just went through her six month growth spurt (was a long one for us) and she was feeding LOTS. As Jacs says, if you can work on resettling him between feeds...will make a big difference. Previously, when we'd had growth spurts, I was pretty much up all night. I even used to try and sleep on the floor with DD (didn't work!) What made a big difference this time round was the fact she slept after each feed. I agree with Jacs, make a plan that you feel comfortable with and give it a go :hugs:

Jacs - HAPPY 7mth BIRTHDAY, EVAN!! :D Have a lovely day - and fabulous night from the little man!

We had a good night, DD woke for one feed (as we were going to bed, so not too bad at all!) and then woke up at 6:30. Am so pleased and so chuffed with her!! We've had pancakes for brekkie.

Am I the only one who doesn't watch Waterloo Road?! I was watching a sneaky recorded Come Dine With Me after football! Looking forward to the final debate this evening...just hope it doesn't get clouded with 'Gaffe Gate', as every other programme has been since it happened!

Thank you! How can it be 7 months?! I'll pass on your congratulations to the little fella!
Great that DD had her feed at your bedtime; that's sleeping through, I'd say. I am also addicted to Come Dine With Me, the narrator is hilarious!
Ooh I was cringing listening to the recording of GB, just awful!
x

Well i picked the book up todat and have been reading it and so far everything that is said in it TOTALLY makes sense!!

We tried something similar to the option "A" where you sit by their cot a while back but then Brooke got sick and ended up in our bed. This was back when she was 5/6 months old though

The part about the fatal mistake of parents moving their toddlers into "beds" part made me laugh as we did exactley this out of desperation so the side of the cot are going back on when we start to follow this.

Me and OH have both agreed that we will start Friday night as we arent working over the weekend so the hardest nights wont be so bad to handle as we can take it in turns to lie in, in the mornings if needs be!!

Well i picked the book up todat and have been reading it and so far everything that is said in it TOTALLY makes sense!!

We tried something similar to the option "A" where you sit by their cot a while back but then Brooke got sick and ended up in our bed. This was back when she was 5/6 months old though

The part about the fatal mistake of parents moving their toddlers into "beds" part made me laugh as we did exactley this out of desperation so the side of the cot are going back on when we start to follow this.

Me and OH have both agreed that we will start Friday night as we arent working over the weekend so the hardest nights wont be so bad to handle as we can take it in turns to lie in, in the mornings if needs be!!

Great! I found myself nodding at the screen when I read it - 'oh my God, yes, we do have props....you're right, we do try loads of different things, with no consistency!'.
We did the first attempt together, so that we knew we would be doing the same thing when we settled Evan on our own. After that we took turns, and it was fine.
How exciting, can't wait to hear how you get on!

PP, I hope that it goes well for you when you get started! I bought the book on a Saturday evening with the intent of starting on the next Friday but come Sunday evening, I got so fed up and decided this was happening NOW! Luckily the couple hours of investment that evening paid off immediately and I got more sleep than I'd had in the past 7 weeks.

Bumpontherun, glad to hear things are improving for you, and poppy, don't beat yourself up. You know your LO best and sometimes they really just need cuddles.

TG and jacs, I envy you your great nights and sleeping through!

We had a rather epic night last night that I will have to post about later as we are off to the movies this morning to see How to Train a Dragon in 3D. Needless to say, Ronan won't be watching!

PP, I hope that it goes well for you when you get started! I bought the book on a Saturday evening with the intent of starting on the next Friday but come Sunday evening, I got so fed up and decided this was happening NOW! Luckily the couple hours of investment that evening paid off immediately and I got more sleep than I'd had in the past 7 weeks.

Bumpontherun, glad to hear things are improving for you, and poppy, don't beat yourself up. You know your LO best and sometimes they really just need cuddles.

TG and jacs, I envy you your great nights and sleeping through!

We had a rather epic night last night that I will have to post about later as we are off to the movies this morning to see How to Train a Dragon in 3D. Needless to say, Ronan won't be watching!

Ooh sounds good! (the movie, not the rough night). I loved Avatar in 3D, but had a shocking headache after.
What time is it where you are? Just wondering about the time difference. x

Thanks for the encouragmeny ladies, id start tonight if i could but i have worl tomorrow so it wouldnt be ideal if we had a really rough night :lol:

Jacs what was Avatar like? I remember tons of people talking about it and then saw it in shops on Mondsy, but wondered if it was actually any good? :lol:

Thanks hun, i did get your message on FB but was on my phone so difficult to reply :lol:

Thanks for the encouragmeny ladies, id start tonight if i could but i have worl tomorrow so it wouldnt be ideal if we had a really rough night :lol:

Jacs what was Avatar like? I remember tons of people talking about it and then saw it in shops on Mondsy, but wondered if it was actually any good? :lol:

Well I'm not usually into sci-fi or action movies, and this is a mix of both. However...the main part of the film is actually quite girly (think Pocahontas, set on another planet!), and I really got into it! I liked that there are 2 main female characters, and neither of them are nice without being weak and pathetic, the way they always make them!
I'm making it sound crap, but I really did like it, and didn't even want to see it in the first place!

Poppy, I rarely stay in the room anymore once I've given Ronan a few minutes because quite often if he's on the edge as to whether he will grizzle and then settle or escalate into full crying my being there will set him off. I think it's harder for him because he can smell me/my milk and he wants to settle on the boob rather than do it himself. If he escalates into crying and I know he's fed and full I often have my husband settle him while I stay out of the way.

Bumpontherun, I hope the rest of the night goes/went ok for you. I really make an effort at all costs to make sure Ronan gets in a good nap in the afternoon, especially if he didn't nap great the rest of the day as it seems to make all the difference in the world to how he will settle to sleep for the night. If he is overtired, there is guaranteed to be tears and crying.
I agree on both of t'hese points. Dana explains the mummy's milk thing as, if you wake in the night and someone was to come in and offer you your favourite meal or a lovely bar of chocolate, you'd eat it even if you aren't hungry. Or if they brought it into the room, you'd want it and it would be a distraction. For the night wakings we sent Mr Foo in to deal with them and she would settle much better. We did this until she realised food didn't happen in the middle of the night. It didn't take long for her to get the message! I felt badly for him as he had to get up in the morning for work and I didn't but it was only a few nights over the space of a fortnight that he had to do it so it wasn't too bad.

And good daytime sleep really is the key to a good nighttime. Although it doesn't help that naps are the hardest to crack!

It is so easy to go back to what you know works when they are sick! But it is important not to get them back into bad habits. Hopefully, with the step by step book to help, you'll have some hints and tips of how to deal with it if she gets sick again. I also hadn't realised that toddlers in beds too early could be an issue. Abby will be in her cot for some time to come!

You are absolutely right to wait until a time when you can catch up on lost hours sleep, and have two of you ready to do it. We used a "tag team" system where we'd take a break from the crying when we were getting frustrated that she just wouldn't settle. I can't imagine having to do it myself! I think it also helped that we remained relatively calm because of it and egged each other on when we wanted to give up. Good luck for Friday. Just remember that no matter how hard the first week or so is, the pay off is weeks, months and even years of a good night sleep for both you and her.

Oh god i do hope so, it cant be any worse than what ive put up with already from her :rofl:

My spelling on the last few posts has been awful :shock: :shock: ... see what not enough sleep does to me :dohh:

Remember that convo we had about reading info books, this was one i was reading at that time :lol:
Definatley been a lifesaver for us :D

Ahh was it really, i was thinking about that convo earlier thinking ... "man this book is good, why didnt i get into reading parenting books sooner" :rofl:

I must say i am impressed from what i have read so far, but this is the first parenting book of any kind that i've looked at so i dont have anything else to compare it to.

:lol: well as you said its finding the time to read them. My other book has been on the same page for ages!

I have been exchanging a couple of hours of dossing around on the internet for some reading time, i used to read a lot so im a fast reader and can read a book from cover to cover in an evening so i should be done with this before i go to bed tonight

One question i have already though ...

Im currently reading the "naps" section and the importance of having your child nap in the same place. Now this isnt physically possible for us because Brooke goes to nursery when im at work, she does however sleep in the same place and at the same time when she's at nursery. Do you think this will pose us a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->