Sleeping bags VS Blankets

cam i ask the ladies who have used the grow bags before

Did you use the grow bags with or without blankets??? Thanks

I was going to say the same thing about suffocation, but have any babies actually died from a blanket?

We used blankets as a newborn and for daytime naps now, and sleeping bags at night now. If you could see the positions my LO ends up in the cot blankets would NEVER work if hes sleeping for any amount of time! lol

We'll probably use blankets, light ones.
Since we live in FL and it doesn't really get cold here.

We're using sleeping bags - I didn't know you can't use them from newborn though, everywhere I've looked says you can? Should we buy some blankets then? x

They can be used from newborn but it depends on the size of your bubs. DS was nearly three months by the time I used one as the bags just drowned him. The arm and head holes far to big which was just dangerous. Blankets always useful for pram anyway so it doesn't hurt to have a little stack. (cellular though of course :)

Oh, I see. Thank you! :thumbup: x

I was going to say the same thing about suffocation, but have any babies actually died from a blanket?

No, I don't think so...I believe LOOSE blankets are a risk factor for SIDS and suffocation (which are hard to distinguish I think). The risk with a secure blanket is that the baby will wiggle them loose. You're not talking about a huge risk, I don't think. Depends on the baby! Mine seems very wiggly already....

EDIT: Yikes! I take it back, 1700 babies die annually from suffocation in the US, and some of those are caused by blankets (loose blankets, no doubt - don't panic if you want to use blankets). I don't know how many die in the UK or in Canada, but that's a signficant number. Those poor families....

I have used a grobag every night since Skye was 3 weeks old. She wasn't overly wiggly, but I woke up one night and saw her blanket right over her face. It was very well tucked in under the mattress too. Because of that day, I'll never use blankets now.

I couldn't recommend them more. I'm sure Skye would've killed herself by now if it wasn't for the grobag.
I got a mothercare one, suitable from birth as long as baby is over 7.5lbs. Skye was nearly 8.2lbs so no problem there :rofl:

Sleeping bags are brilliant, for the first year atleast.... the child has space to kick about and dont end up taking their blankets of, gave me alot of assurance with my first as she was a winter baby. plus i get scared the child will end up putting a blanket on their face...

Ive already picked one up and have 2 from my first one...

I do swaddle at the beginning for first few weeks...

I think I will swaddle a newborn and then use the sleep sacks.

I would prefer sleeping bags but will get blankets for newborn as we're also planning to swaddle. At least that way we'll have both covered dependent on what bean prefers.

Blankets for swaddling till spring then a growbag

I think Grobags (and their equivalents) are brilliant! I still use them with my son who is now 2. I think they are great because they are very safe (babies can't pull them over their heads) and that there is no chance of them getting cold as they are very warm (winter ones are the equivalent of a 2.5 tog duvet) and the can't wriggle them off in the night.

I don't think they are suitable with newborns though, so until Tristan was a month or so old, I did use baby blankets.

If you are worried about the expense of Grobags, you can get cheaper alternatives from Asda and off Ebay - in fact, you can get really good deals on the Grobag brand off Ebay and Amazon and some other websites.

xxx

ASDA do a nice sleeping bag for £10, its cream and a fairly standard tog. I got one of those, will prob get a few blankets too!

Sleeping bags are not suitible for a baby under the specified weight that the sleeping bag manufacturer has stated. I'm sure if your baby was 9lb, and they said to use the sleeping bag from 8lb+, it'd be fine.

I plan to use both blankets and sleeping bags. If baby is big enough to go straight into a sleeping bag, then I'll put him in one...but if not, I will either get a swaddle pod or just use blankets :) :flower:

I didn't use sleeping bags until my girls were around six months old.

I thought it would be to much hassle taking them out of the sleeping bags to change their nappies, clothes if needed and then having to put them back in the bag and button and zip it up! All while trying to make sure that they do not get grumpy ablut being woke up for ages!

I'm not going to use one for this baba until he/she is 6 months. Cos they have a more regular sleeping pattern then and don't need to be taken out of their sleeping bag every 2-3 hours :)

I just used blankets at 1st

x

sleeping bags are a god send i think

after 3 months though x

Good discussion this, very useful.
I voted for sleeping bags ESP now I know you can use from birth, but I also like the swaddling idea and am thinking of getting one of the woombie bags.
So if I swaddle, is that warm enough of do I still need a blanket or sleeping bag as well?

As others have said TK Maxx is the place to go for bargain sleeping bags :) xx

My LO was too small for a sleeping bag and having to take him out for changing the diaper all night would have been a right pain. We use blankets and are much happier with them. We were given a sleeping bag and tried it once. Didn't care for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->