Sleepless Nights Support Thread

Noelle, I feel your pain. I got VERY little sleep last night again and I am so tired I feel like I want to lock myself, alone, in a room for 2 days. I have a friend who has an easy baby too...pretty much started sleeping in big chunks through the night right away...and that was even when she was BFing him. She ended up switching to formula, but he pretty much sleeps through the night still and takes naps during the day. He would fall asleep and put himn in his bassinet with no problem. My LO barely stands to be put down. I started to get 30 minutes to an hour about once during the day where I can put her down and 2 hours at night. Otherwise, she is still fussing and will scream if not picked up.

Eeek yes... if I put my LO down she screams. I don't understand it! I received a copy of the happiest baby and I try all of the techniques and she does settle, but she will scream again when put down. I love her so much but I need sleep at some point...

I suppose most of you will hate me for saying this, but my sleeplessness is not really the baby's fault. He and my husband will both be asleep and I'll just be there trying to sleep and... can't. It's not for lack of tiredness, either. I'm plenty tired, my brain just turns on, esp the evil part that says baby is going to wake up any minute and it's not even worth it to really sleep until he wakes up and I've fed him again...
I just lie there and over think stuff and frequently end up being there for 90 minutes just trying to sleep and a few nights a week end up just getting up and crying my eyes out for 30 minutes or so with the frustration I've worked myself into... :(

I don't really have anything to be really stressed out about. My labor was good and pretty short. I got a great homebirth with zero complications and a healthy baby who ate beautifully right away. My baby is sososo good and has never needed bouncing or walking in the night, just feed again and he's back asleep. He doesn't cry endlessly or for no reason, only if he really needs something.

I never had a problem before or during preg, so I don't get why I can't sleep when I've got the option??

so glad that its not just me, i was in tears last night at 130, we'd had a terrible night the night before and i was just so exhausted. Jasmine is bf, but am wondering whether to switch to formula for my own sanity, she can sleep for up to 4 hours at a time during the day (i've now stopped this and am waking her to feed after 3 hours max), but on a night she wakes for feeds every 2-3 hours but is absolutely wide awake and wont go down in her moses basket. I love her so much, but i'm just so tired i feel like i can't cope :cry:

I suppose most of you will hate me for saying this, but my sleeplessness is not really the baby's fault. He and my husband will both be asleep and I'll just be there trying to sleep and... can't. It's not for lack of tiredness, either. I'm plenty tired, my brain just turns on, esp the evil part that says baby is going to wake up any minute and it's not even worth it to really sleep until he wakes up and I've fed him again...
I just lie there and over think stuff and frequently end up being there for 90 minutes just trying to sleep and a few nights a week end up just getting up and crying my eyes out for 30 minutes or so with the frustration I've worked myself into... :(

I don't really have anything to be really stressed out about. My labor was good and pretty short. I got a great homebirth with zero complications and a healthy baby who ate beautifully right away. My baby is sososo good and has never needed bouncing or walking in the night, just feed again and he's back asleep. He doesn't cry endlessly or for no reason, only if he really needs something.

I never had a problem before or during preg, so I don't get why I can't sleep when I've got the option??

I don't hate you :) I suffer from the same problem - I have a hard time sleeping when Charlotte is sleeping. It's hard, just knowing she will likely wake up in 2 hours!

so glad that its not just me, i was in tears last night at 130, we'd had a terrible night the night before and i was just so exhausted. Jasmine is bf, but am wondering whether to switch to formula for my own sanity, she can sleep for up to 4 hours at a time during the day (i've now stopped this and am waking her to feed after 3 hours max), but on a night she wakes for feeds every 2-3 hours but is absolutely wide awake and wont go down in her moses basket. I love her so much, but i'm just so tired i feel like i can't cope :cry:

I don't think switching to formula would help. I have two close friends with young babies who STTN and both are breast fed :) There's no magic answer, especially at just a month old - it's mostly just disposition at such a young age.

Is it possible that Jasmine has her days and nights mixed up? It's not uncommon at that age. During the day, I would make sure there's lots of light in the house and you make lots of noise. Don't have everything quiet like you would in the evening. I can understand why you would want that 4 hour sleep at night! Charlotte used to be the same way and it was so frustrating.

Nobody is going to hate you!! Funnily enough I have always suffered severe insomnia as long as I can remember. But DS sleeps so little I fall asleep like a rock once he's down!

Have you spoken to your Dr about it? Something like low dose amitriptyline can be taken at bedtime for sleep x

I have the same issue....not only does my LO not sleep much and will barely tolerate being put down, but when my husband or one of the grandmas are watching her so I can nap I lay there awake! I just keep waiting to hear her crying. It happened quite a few times already where I would finally start to doze off and she would begin screaming. We currently combo feed her, but often she will refuse the bottle and only want breast.

I think regardless if my LO was EBF or EFF, it would not matter- it is just her disposition. My MIL is holding her now so I could eat dinner and for the last 3 hours she has been refusing to take a nap even though she is beyond overtired.

I don't think switching to formula would help. I have two close friends with young babies who STTN and both are breast fed :) There's no magic answer, especially at just a month old - it's mostly just disposition at such a young age.

Is it possible that Jasmine has her days and nights mixed up? It's not uncommon at that age. During the day, I would make sure there's lots of light in the house and you make lots of noise. Don't have everything quiet like you would in the evening. I can understand why you would want that 4 hour sleep at night! Charlotte used to be the same way and it was so frustrating.

Thanks for replying, it may be that she has days and nights a bit mixed up, although she was a bit better last night, we got that magic 4 hour sleep!! She had a big feed off me until about 830 and then was fed again at about 1230, i slept for about 3 hours of it, but then her 3.30 feed she had a poo just after she'd gone back in her moses basket, so changed her and then she was completely wide eyed :dohh:and then it was 445 by the time i got back to bed, then she started stirring again at 630.

we do keep the house light and make plenty of noise during the day, tv on hoovering, dog barking, etc. I guess it is because she's so young and also a small baby too, I'll just have to continue napping through the day :sleep:

Oh no :( I've experienced the same problem :(

But then my friend advised me to try and use those Abuba neck swimming rings. So my baby would swim in the bath before sleep and get really tired by the bedtime:thumbup:

Thanks for replying, it may be that she has days and nights a bit mixed up, although she was a bit better last night, we got that magic 4 hour sleep!! She had a big feed off me until about 830 and then was fed again at about 1230, i slept for about 3 hours of it, but then her 3.30 feed she had a poo just after she'd gone back in her moses basket, so changed her and then she was completely wide eyed :dohh:and then it was 445 by the time i got back to bed, then she started stirring again at 630.

we do keep the house light and make plenty of noise during the day, tv on hoovering, dog barking, etc. I guess it is because she's so young and also a small baby too, I'll just have to continue napping through the day :sleep:

4 hours, that's wonderful! Your night actually sounds pretty typical for my LO at almost 3 months, so I'd say your baby is on the right track to being a brilliant sleeper. I wouldn't stress too much.

And for sure continue napping when the baby does, if you can. It helps!

Fed my boys at midnight, Dom woke at 1 and again at 2 and again at 2:10 and again at 2:40. And what is worse is that I cannot sleep either. :cry:

Fed my boys at midnight, Dom woke at 1 and again at 2 and again at 2:10 and again at 2:40. And what is worse is that I cannot sleep either. :cry:

I find it is hard to sleep and/or nap when the baby does because I am tense waiting for the next cry! I find napping when my LO does is easier said than done. Especially since the few times she is sleeping (and not in my arms which is rare) I am trying to eat a meal, shower, or just maintain some sanity in the home.

I find it is hard to sleep and/or nap when the baby does because I am tense waiting for the next cry! I find napping when my LO does is easier said than done. Especially since the few times she is sleeping (and not in my arms which is rare) I am trying to eat a meal, shower, or just maintain some sanity in the home.

Yeah exactly :( Besides even if I managed to nap, I have never been able to just drop off immediately. It takes me 15 minutes and by the time I have settled the baby, gone back to our room, got into bed, found a comfy spot and fallen asleep, we are near the end of the next baby sleep cycle :(

Yeah exactly :( Besides even if I managed to nap, I have never been able to just drop off immediately. It takes me 15 minutes and by the time I have settled the baby, gone back to our room, got into bed, found a comfy spot and fallen asleep, we are near the end of the next baby sleep cycle :(

I understand how that feels. I noticed you have twins!!! My goodness...are they on the same sleep cycle at least?

Cassidy was awake from 3am-almost 6am... now shes passed out. But wow that was tiring.

We had a great night last night. I almost don't want to type about it... afraid it was a fluke and I'll jinx myself!

LO slept from 7pm to 12am and then from 12:15am to 4am. Then up for the day at 6am. Only two wake-ups, which lasted 15 minutes tops! I feel like a new person today.

I put her down "drowsy, but awake" and she fell asleep on her own. She's only done this a handful of times recently, but I wonder if there's a connection. I also turned our monitor to one of the lowest settings so that I didn't accidentally wake her when she was just transitioning through sleep cycles. It's hard for me not to respond to every movement, even if she doesn't "need" me.

I understand how that feels. I noticed you have twins!!! My goodness...are they on the same sleep cycle at least?

No thankfully they aren't! My younger twin Sebastian sleeps like the proverbial baby, i.e. he doesn't wake up (unless he has sprung a leak) till morning or I wake him for his feeds. I'm thinking he would sleep through the night if I let him. But I don't want him to fall behind on feeds, especially as he has been poorly lately and eats better when half asleep.

Noelle that sounds blissful! :D I too have the monitor on the lowest setting cause wow babies are such noisy sleepers aren't they? lol

My lb is 4months and still wakes for feeds in the night and now the dreaded teething has kept us awake for the last wk, so tired x

DS is now having "good nights" if that's what you call them.

Thurs night he slept from 8.30pm - 11.15pm then had a feed. Then from 12am - 2.45am and another feed. Then from 3.30am - 4.30am, no idea what woke him but he went back to sleep after 30mins cuddles. Then he woke at 5.30am ish and I kept popping his dummy in and we got up at 6am.

Last night I went out and Mum had him but mentioned a similar night. I'm tired cos I can't sleep when I've had even the tiniest amount to drink.

Tonight he was asleep by 9pm and I went in at 11pm to "dreamfeed" him. I should have gone to bed cos now I'm just going he'll be awake probably around 2am. Jeez I am tired, I'm a single Mum recently so doing it all on my own, last night I should just have stayed in and caught on a good 10hours sleep. Ex-OH isn't helping at nights just now. Mum will be off again likely in a week or 2 and able to do another night for me and I really need to make the most of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->