Sleepless Nights Support Thread

unfortunately it seems the book had nothing to do with it and it was just a lovely coincidence that has come to an abrupt end. 2 nights ago he woke up twice, tonight it's 3x... it's 3:16 and i've been trying since 2:30 to get him back to bed, and no luck.

I got the book from Chapters (here in Canada) and it was 16 CDN. Still a good read, but we'll see how the 'scheduled awakenings' go when I start trying those in a week or so (we're traveling for thanksgiving so I figure no real point in trying to fix it before then)

sorry to hear the appointment didn't do the trick :( Teething really is horrid, I can't wait for it to be over

Oh no bekki so sorry to hear the peaceful nights have ended :-( x
What are scheducled awkenings?? not heard of that before x

Finley wasnt great either last night he woke up 8 times from 11pm onwards :nope:
I have took DaisyDoos advice of giving him a bit of porridge before bed but havent had chance to try it out yet as he has been having dinner a little later than normal x but hoping to try it tonight to see if it helps x

I dont know if this helps anyone but my daughter started sleeping through at around 1-2months.
I just got her into a routine and stuck to it, and it seems she has too. At 6:00pm I bath Lilly, leave her in there for a while as she loves splashing around and always has (obviously sit watching her lol), I'll then take her into my room, dry her, play with her as shes always happy and giggly after a bath, then at 6:30pm I take her for a walk as she loves outdoors and looking at the trees etc, then I get her home for about 7ish when I give her a bottle and she goes straight to bed.

Lillys 6months now and is having real problems with her teething but I'm determined to stick with this routine and she is usually still in bed and asleep by 7.30 at the latest.

Lilly wakes up at around 6am, shes only ever woke up once since she was 1-2months and that was last night at 3.30am and I think her teeth were bothering her, but she went back to sleep at 5.00am and woke up at 8.30am.

Just posted this really because I have a few friends who have babys and they dont have any routine and just put there babies to bed when ever but then they are confused why their up all night.

Maybe I just have a well behaved daughter, but either way thought I'd share it.

bigcj - thank you for giving your advice its very kind of you x
After 11 months though i have literally tried EVERYTHING lol Finley has been in a routine since 2months old bath 6.30pm quiet time at 7pm with a book & cuddles, then bottle & bed at 7.30pm & he'll go straight to sleep but then wake continously through the night from around 12am onwards x

sometimes being in a routine just isnt that simple x
Thank you though it is appreciated :flower:

^^ that - and it doesn't make our babies any less well behaved just because they don't sleep through the night... sorry... 4:30 am now and exhausted.. I'm sure your intentions are good bigcj, but that comment just hit me wrong.

I hadn't heard of them either, you basically keep track of when they normally wake up, and if it seems to be at the same time, you wake them up 10-15 minutes before they'd normally wake up. You do it for a few days or a week and then stop waking them up, apparently it changes their internal clock and they'll start sleeping through when they'd normally wake up. I figure it's worth a shot, if it doesn't work I don't know what to do.

^^ that - and it doesn't make our babies any less well behaved just because they don't sleep through the night... sorry... 4:30 am now and exhausted.. I'm sure your intentions are good bigcj, but that comment just hit me wrong.

I hadn't heard of them either, you basically keep track of when they normally wake up, and if it seems to be at the same time, you wake them up 10-15 minutes before they'd normally wake up. You do it for a few days or a week and then stop waking them up, apparently it changes their internal clock and they'll start sleeping through when they'd normally wake up. I figure it's worth a shot, if it doesn't work I don't know what to do.

Hmmm must of missed that bit x & have to agree bekki it doesnt mean we have naughty babies at all.

ahhh right I see sounds promising x let me know how you get on & if it works might have to give it ago myself if the porridge things doesnt work x
I think I have a list as long as my arm (probably longer) of all the things we've tried & had to put a cross through because they didnt work :nope:

to be honest i havent read any replies just saw the title thread and thought id post how i get lilly to sleep incase it helps anyone so for you to take it personaly has astounded me really but apologies nonetheless, ill keep my comments to myself.

as Reedy said it is appreciated but many of us have been dealing with sleepless nights for many many months and have tried practically everything under the moon to fix it. People tend to associate 'good sleepers' with being 'good babies' and that really bothers me as I have a wonderful, extremely well behaved, happy son, he just doesn't like to sleep. I know you didn't mean to offend, but when you're running on no sleep for what seems like an eternity it is quite easy to get your shackles up and take offense when things like that are said. Perhaps reading some of the replys on this thread would help you see things from our perspective and provide a bit of insight as to how difficult it can be trying to find a solution. For some it may be as easy as getting in to a routine but for many of us it isn't.

as Reedy said it is appreciated but many of us have been dealing with sleepless nights for many many months and have tried practically everything under the moon to fix it. People tend to associate 'good sleepers' with being 'good babies' and that really bothers me as I have a wonderful, extremely well behaved, happy son, he just doesn't like to sleep. I know you didn't mean to offend, but when you're running on no sleep for what seems like an eternity it is quite easy to get your shackles up and take offense when things like that are said. Perhaps reading some of the replys on this thread would help you see things from our perspective and provide a bit of insight as to how difficult it can be trying to find a solution. For some it may be as easy as getting in to a routine but for many of us it isn't.

WSS :thumbup:

thread has been pretty quiet lately! I hope that means that ya'll are getting some sleep! Bobby slept pretty decently last night (down at 12:30 AM, up at 1:30, 5:30, and then 8:30) he's teething so badly that his poor little upper lip is protruding from his gums being so swollen so he didn't nap at all today. Hope that means he'll sleep well tonight. He went down at 10:30PM and hasn't woken up yet.. so that's a good sign. Going to climb in to bed soon so I'm sure he'll wake up as soon as I do lol.

Bekki - glad to hear that Bobby is sleeping a little better x Poor little thing teething is horrible, Finley's gums are all swollen too :-(

The last 3 nights have been horrendous :cry: He's been waking maybe 12-15 times during the night I dont know if its his teeth or not they do look swollen bless him x Last night he was in bed at 7.30pm & started waking around 8.45pm onwards :cry:
DH ended up getting him in bed with us around 3ish & he just fidgeted the whole time, like he just couldnt get comfortable -rolling from one side to the other, getting in to the crawling position & then flopping back down, sitting up then falling back either on me or at the other end of the bed :cry:
DH & I are soooo shattered this morning x
We have cancelled the CO appt as I dont think its working & we cant afford to be wasting £15 a time x
We've got him in at the doctors this afternoon because I think he has yet another ear infection :-( maybe this is why the last few nights have been so bad x
Hope everyone is ok :kiss:

oh no :( I'm so sorry to hear that. Is he sleeping well during the day at all? Poor Finley and poor you and OH!! :hugs:

What exactly do they do at the CO appts? How did the dr. appt go?

Last night Bobby went down at 10:30 and woke up 4x (he let me lie in bed for 10 minutes before waking up the first time) before waking up for the day at 6 and now he's finally down for a nap. He isn't eating solids very well because of his teeth so I'm sure thats not helping his sleeping.

Hey Bekki x

Finley doesnt nap well at all during the day, yesterday he had 40 minutes all day & had been up most of the night I dont know how he does it x
He'll normally have 2 naps consisting of 30 minutes each so not much at all x

The CO basically puts pressure on their head its supposed to improve sleep 'IF' their is a problem with the structure of his skull ie pressing on his spine etc but it wasnt working for Finley, we did only have 2 sessions but he told us we should see an improvement in his sleep after the first session & after 2 we still didnt see an improvement if anything it got worse.
Not much better at the Doctors either he said he doesnt look like he's teething & he hasnt got an ear infection which obviously i am pleased about but I'm now back to square one & havent got a clue why he's waking up screaming so much x

Sounds like you had a good night with Bobby x

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to this thread. Although my LO is only 3 weeks old, he has already shown that he is not much for sleeping at night. I realise that at this age he will wake up many times for feedings as I BF. My issue is that he sleeps wonderfully during the day, sleeping soundly for 2-3 hrs at a time but come 9-10pm he turns into the 'booby monster'. It's like he is a completely different baby. His eyes are wide open and he'll spend hours feeding. If my OH tries to help comfort him, he'll just cry while bobbing his head and eating his hands (obviously 'hungry').

We've tried to keep him awake in the early evening to no avail. Any suggestions?

Hi hun x I really dont know what to suggest as I didnt BF x I'm sure someone will be along who will be able to offer you some advice x didnt want to read & run x

Seeing as we have 'reluctuntly' (sp) started CC/CIO I think I might make a sleep progress journal just so I can keep track & also if it works & Finley starts sleeping better (I hope & pray) then maybe it can help others & kinda give them some advice & reassurance x What do you guys think?? x

Hi!
My LO is 3 weeks on Fri (and I'm BF) and have the same problem. Brilliant sleeper in the day but come 11pm and lights off and I'm on a cycle of 10 minute feeding, 10 minutes to fall asleep, 10 minutes in crib, 10 minutes grizzling then cries, then 20 minutes calming before it starts again - it happens till around 6am then she goes back to her lovely day cycle. Is exhausting!

My health visitor said it could be a growth spurt which I dont think is possible as its night-time only. Tonight I'm going to try having a radio on low in the room in case its the quiet thats the problem.

If you have any breakthroughs would be good to hear!
Thanks!

Shwhattam + amy - sounds like cluster feeding. Have either of you thought of co-sleeping? It should pass and it might be a good solution for you both to try and get some sleep.

Reedy: that sounds like a fabulous idea... and might help you if you start to see progress. big :hugs: to you, I can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be for you. I still can't bring myself to do it at this stage but know that if I was in your situation I would no doubt be trying it as well. Have you seen any improvement yet?

Bobby has slept pretty decently the past couple nights, the late evening cereal seems to be doing the trick but we'll see if it keeps up - Unfortunately now it seems I've developed a fantastic case of insomnia and I just can't fall asleep. I walk around like a zombie all day wanting to go to sleep and then lie in bed with my mind racing

Thanks guys think I'll start one later x

Things went brilliantly last night just hope its not a one off x
Bath was at 7pm then got him ready for bed in his bedroom, gave him his milk read him a story then put him in his cot & put his musical light show on & left the room (sat in my bedroom right next door) he layed there watching that for about 10 minutes then he started to get a bit whingy & pressing the button on his music thing so I went in layed him back down & came out again, still crying & pressing the button so thought maybe he was trying to tell me he wanted it turning off so I turned it off & left the room, he cried for 5 minutes then fell sleep & then slept all night :happydance: he did wake at about 5.10 so went in after a couple of minutes & gave him his dummy & he slept till 6.15am :happydance::happydance:

Bekki - I know what you mean about the sleep, I couldnt get sleep for ages last night even though I was exhausted :dohh:
Glad to hear the cereal is doing good & Bobby is sleeping better x

Thanks guys think I'll start one later x

Things went brilliantly last night just hope its not a one off x
Bath was at 7pm then got him ready for bed in his bedroom, gave him his milk read him a story then put him in his cot & put his musical light show on & left the room (sat in my bedroom right next door) he layed there watching that for about 10 minutes then he started to get a bit whingy & pressing the button on his music thing so I went in layed him back down & came out again, still crying & pressing the button so thought maybe he was trying to tell me he wanted it turning off so I turned it off & left the room, he cried for [/B] then slept all night :happydance: he did wake at about 5.10 so went in after a couple of minutes & gave him his dummy & he slept till 6.15am[/B] :happydance::happydance:

OH MY WORD!!! That is FANTASIC!!:happydance::happydance: can you hardly believe it? Do you think its from cc or making him self settle.
Chuffed for you hun long may it continue xxx

Thanks Lisa x

I cant quite believe it no, I'm still waiting for things to go t*ts up if I'm honest lol but thats what 11 months of trying everything does to you x
TBH I think its a bit of both I just hope its continues x

I have started my new journal x the link is in my siggy x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"