Sleepless Nights Support Thread

Thank goodness for this thread tonight!
Esmee just will not go to sleep. she skipped both her naps today, god knows why, she just literally refused to sleep! so she's been grumpy all day, whatever i did she just would not take her nap! and now she's waking up every 15 minutes and screaming bloody murder! she won't sleep, she won't eat, i just don't know what to do! this is totally out of character as she's usually an okay sleeper, only waking one or two times in the night :cry:

Night before last Ellie was up for three hours! And the odd thing was she woke at 3.18am and went back off at exactly 6.18am.

I'm still recovering today.

Aww i'm sorry this is completely off topic but Mrsraggle i absolutely love your daughters name!
xx

He's been awake for an hour & 15 minutes just feel like All the hard work is fpr norhing :cry: he settles himself then 5 minutes later he's awake crying again .

I'm going crazy with my LO at the moment. the 4 month sleep regression has lasted 2 months now :wacko:

At the moment she's fighting sleep, whether it be her naps, bedtime, or when she wakes in the middle of the night. She used to sleep from 7pm to 8am, and then it all changed. She's grizzly, she cries, she refuses to settle, and then in the night she wakes up and whines, or shouts, but half the time she refuses to take a bottle, doesn't need a nappy change...

Last night I had flu-like symptoms, and yet I still had to get up becuase OH was working a long day today, so "needed his sleep" (like I didn't, being sick?). Anyway, she woke three different times, for at least an hour each time. I would have been more annoyed with her, but she only took 10oz during the day, and she took another 10oz during the night. It's so frustrating; why can't she go back to sleeping through?

My bubba is being a right monkey!!!!

He has been laying on his front and has always been quite strong on his front!

Today he has been digging his feet in..lifting his bum up in the air ... And shifting his body forward and can make it easily off his playmat!!

Is this the norm???? 1st time with no clue!!!

Well, we made some progress and also had some set backs but all in all things are getting a lot better.

Wednesday: night 3

I made another adjustment to try and help curb the first wake-up (which I guess is the broken sleep cycle thing?) I made a CD of white noise and put it in his crib CD player and we just passed the 45 minute mark (where he usually wakes for no reason and has to be resettled) and all is still quiet I also increases his nursing sessions today. He still napped at his normal times (10 am to 11 am and 2 pm to 4 pm) I would have tried 9 am as a friend suggested except he woke up at 7:30 and ate breakfast at 9, and was no where near ready for a nap at 9, though my goal is to try and get to those times. My goal is to push bedtime up to 7 soon, so hopefully we can work towards that next!

Thursday: night 4

He was up at 10:15 (2 hrs since going to bed) which is still huge for us, but was also again up at 12:15, in which he stayed up til a little after 2 am. He did sleep from 2:30-7:30, which was nice but I don't understand why he wont sleep well from bedtime to midnight!!!!!

Friday: night 5:

Bed at 8:15, up at 10:15 nursed and fussed and pick-up/put-down about 3 times before he settled... then STTN!!!! He was up at 7:30 am. I told DH I didn't believe it, that he MUST have gotten up and tended to him without me waking but he said NOPE! The kicker is at 2 am something roused the puppy and she went nuts and I turned the TV monitor on him and he was up rocking on his hands and knees cooing and kinda fussing but he went right back to sleep on his own. This is another first for us as any waking requires me to go resettle him

Saturday: night 6:

We went out to dinner and he fell asleep in the car so we couldn't stick to the exact schedule. I managed to get him in his jammies and into bed by 9:00 pm and then he woke at 1 to feed. He woke again at 5:30 am to feed again and then slept til 8 am. Although he didn't STTN again, I call it a success because he gave at least 4 hrs in between waking and went right back down with no issues.

Today has me nervous b/c he would not for the life of us go down for a nap until 12 pm. Then he only slept an hour. I tried to get him back on track by attempting the nap again at 3:00 and he just NOW went down (4:30) I am praying this doesn't throw off our entire night. I am going to attempt to get him in bed by 8 and am even tempted to wake him at 5:00 just to keep that schedule. Never sleep a waking baby though... what to do, what to do LOL

Sunday : night 7

Boy I was not lying it was gonna be a rough night. He managed to wake himself up from his nap at 5:15 so I avoided that dilemma, but he was super whiny all evening. I couldn't wait for bath time/bedtime. I did the usual routine and all was going well until I dimmed the lights. He sure knew what was coming because he fought me like a bear. He screamed and wretched his back and slapped me a bunch, so I laid him in his crib. He rolled around a bit playing, thinking he got his way, then realized I wasn't there and cried for me again. Repeat twice and he finally passed out from exhaustion. We'll see what the rest of the night brings

JK - sounds like you had a couple of good nights x
Hope last night went ok xxx

Up twice again. Not too bad compared to what we were getting out of him before I began reading this thread!

How are things with your LO?

1 step forward, 2 steps back - Last night Bobby had his regular 2 naps (11 - 12:30 and 3 - 4:30) and then he went down at 8 - I thought.. oh my gosh... is he going to stay asleep? No... he woke up at 9:30 and then wouldn't go back down until 12:30. I even tried CC but he wails and starts coughing and choking so that lasted a total of 10 minutes (with 3 visits in between) and I had to stop.. I just can't do it. He then proceeded to wake up at 2, 3, 5, and then 6 for the day.

OH is going out of town Sunday for 10 days and I am really hoping to have made some progress by then as I won't have a break at all until he gets back. I'm going to make a drs appointment and see if he can suggest anything, because I'm out of ideas and I know that if he's still sleeping like this we'll end up co-sleeping while OH is out of town and then we'll be in a worse off position than we are now when he gets back.

*sigh*

Up twice again. Not too bad compared to what we were getting out of him before I began reading this thread!

How are things with your LO?

JK - twice in a night is good, glad to hear this thread has helped x Its definitly helped me x
Finley is great, sleeping through most of the time now, maybe waking once around 4-5ish dummy back in & asleep until 5.30-6am :happydance:
Feel like I might be kicked out of here if he carries on as well as he is but I like to pop in & offer advice if I can x

Bekki - So sorry CC isnt working for you huni I know how hard it is to hear them cry, does DH take over when it gets to much for you?? I did 20 minutes & then DH came in & took over for the next 20 minutes x
We found that if we kept going in to him it made him worse because he kept seeing us then we would leave again iykwim x I know it is hard huni & if you dont think its for you then dont do it x We tried it at around 6month mark I think or 7month & it just didnt work but now it has I just dont think Finley was ready the first time we tried.
We went to the DR & asked them & I dont know if it will be different in Canada but he told us to do the 10 point plan which is basically CC/CIO.
I hope you get something sorted soon hun xxx

thanks hun x

3:00 in the morning now and 5 failed attempts to put him back down in the past 90 minutes. now he's just playing on the floor because I can't put up with the fight anymore. I think it's his teeth so I'm hoping the pain relief kicks in soon and he finally settles. OH got up with him the 3rd time to try and put him back down but I feel guilty when he wakes up to do it - I know I shouldn't - but I don't like the thought of him going to work without having a full nights sleep (he's an electrician and it worries me enough when he has one without having to add in him being tired)

So glad to hear that Finley is sleeping well though! You're sleepless nights alumni! you can't get kicked out of here lol!

Aww Thanks Bekki x
Just wish I could suggest something to help x Are his teeth definitly coming through?? What pain relief do you use??

I know what you mean about feeling guilty about DH though I'm the same but sometimes you need the help you cant cope on your own when they sleep as bad as they do x If DH is happy to help then let him x He's probably waking when bobby does anyway. Plus just because you dont physically going out to work doesnt mean your not working, remember your job your on call 24/7 :kiss:

:cry: had a horrendous few nights, she is starting to wake up every hour, on the hour! I really hope this isn't turning into a habit, i'm sooo tired, cannot get anything done, uni work is really suffering and i'm snapping at everyone :cry:

xx

hi just though i would add to this. my Lo used to be an awful sleeper and at 3 months started waking up every hour like a few of you have mentioned. instead of getting up with him i just popped his dummy in and within 4 nights he was waking up at 4 am only ( 7.30 bedtime) and i didnt get him up before 8am. i would feed him at 4 but when he woke up at 4 every night i realised he was waking out of habit so just gave him his dummy again and didnt get him up before 8 am. he finally realised he wasnt going to get fed anymore and started sleeping through from 7.30pm to 8am at 4 months. now at 7 months the lazy boy sleeps till 9. dont know if this helps anyone but thought i would share as it worked for me. i know some people dont like to use dummys but as my LO gets older hes not needing his dummy to get to sleep anymore as he knows his bedtime routine. xx

typical...my mum had LO with her last night so i could get some sleep and guess what he does? SLEEPS THROUGH!! I bet he won't do it for me tonight!

Reedy: yeah he's definitely teething again - the top 2 middle are coming in, he's constantly sucking in his top lip and they seem to be the worst so far. We're using motrin for pain relief mostly, I'm still too paranoid to use orajel at night time. Last night was better, he slept from 11 - 2 and then 3 - 6 and then I brought him in to bed (which I know isn't helping but it's the only way I'll get through the day) and he actually self-settled on the bed which he's never done before. So I'm pretty happy about that, definitely a step in the right direction.

lily: sorry to hear you had such a bad night :(

surprise: thanks for your post - I know that I need to start cutting out feeding him at night and just try rocking him back to sleep (as a first step) because I think part of it is just habit. He would never take a dummy, so unfortunately that's not an option for us.

princess - someone posted a great little 'story' yesterday that I'll swipe and post here that mentions that happening lol

Saw this posted by a BnBer yesterday - thought it would provide for some giggles here

OK, here's my situation. My mummy has had me for almost 6 months. The first few months were great - I cried, she picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then something happened.

Over the last few weeks, she has been trying to STTN (sleep through the night). At first, I thought it was just a phase, but it is only getting worse. I've talked to other babies, and it seems like it's pretty common after mummies have had us for around 6 months.

Here's the thing: these mummies don't really need to sleep. It's just a habit. Many of them have had some 30 years to sleep - they just don't need it anymore. So I am implementing a plan. I call it the Crybaby Shuffle.

It goes like this:

Night 1 - cry every 3 hours until you get fed. I know, it's hard. It's hard to see your mummy upset over your crying. Just keep reminding yourself, it's for her own good.

Night 2 - cry every 2 hours until you get fed.

Night 3 - every hour.

Most mummies will start to respond more quickly after about 3 nights. Some mummies are more alert, and may resist the change longer. These mummies may stand in your doorway for hours, shhhh-ing. Don't give in. I cannot stress this enough:CONSISTENCY IS KEY!!

If you let her STTN (sleep through the night), just once, she will expect it every night. I KNOW IT'S HARD! But she really does not need the sleep, she is just resisting the change.

If you have an especially alert mummy, you can stop crying for about 10 minutes, just long enough for her to go back to bed and start to fall asleep. Then cry again. It WILL eventually work. My mummy once stayed awake for 10 hours straight, so I know she can do it.

Last night, I cried every hour. You just have to decide to stick to it and just go for it.BE CONSISTENT!

I cried for any reason I could come up with. My sleep sack tickled my foot. I felt a wrinkle under the sheet. My mobile made a shadow on the wall. I burped, and it tasted like pears. I hadn't eaten pears since lunch, what's up with that? The cat said "meow". I should know. My mummy reminds me of this about 20 times a day. LOL. Once I cried just because I liked how it sounded when it echoed on the monitor in the other room. Too hot, too cold, just right - doesn't matter! Keep crying!!

It took a while, but it worked. She fed me at 4am. Tomorrow night, my goal is 3:30am. You need to slowly shorten the interval between feedings in order to reset your mummies' internal clocks.

P.S. Don't let those rubber things fool you, no matter how long you suck on them, no milk will come out. Trust me.

Babies, I would like to add that if ANYONE else looks after you for the night, whether its your daddy, granny n grandpa, mummies friends you should ALWAYS sleep through the night. That way no one will have any sympathy for your mummy and she will have to look after you every night. Do not break her training she really doesn't need a night off....

Jaxon's STTN was a total fluke. To make matters worse, he now FIGHTS every nap and bedtime. Wont settle and takes FOR.EVER to go down. The good news is that he is now staying asleep for about 3-4 hrs in between wake-ups for the most part. A definite improvement, but I still don't get why he hates sleeping!!!! He's eating like crap, too. wonder what's up.

Saw this posted by a BnBer yesterday - thought it would provide for some giggles here

OK, here's my situation. My mummy has had me for almost 6 months. The first few months were great - I cried, she picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then something happened....

^^^^^ cute!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->