Sleepless Nights Support Thread

Charlie had a routine untill a week ago when he got poorly and everything whent to pot, id start it at 7 with a little bit of supper, then a bath at about half past, dressed boob then bed for 8, it worked he'd sleep through about 4 out of 7 nights and only wake once the rest of the time, now its all over he sleeps when he wants and crys the rest of the time, hes gettin better now so the routine starts tonight!

I know jacob is very young and i shouldnt expect much from him yet. But i want to get some good roots in for the weeks to come. He is suffering from a tummy bug last few days (been doc's 3 times) as he just wont keep most his feeds down, has bad poo's and very achy tummy (poor soul) but because of all this im functioning off 3 hours sleep and im exhausted but he is worth it. Just any advice would be appretiate in the weeks to come.

Ema, sorry you're having such a hard time. My baby was just like this. She is now much better at 6 months (was better really from about 3 months, but that seems a long way off at your stage, I know).

Just a thought, is Jacob still throwing up his feeds? If so, he might have reflux. Doctors are great at brushing this off as 'colic' (which doesn't actually exist as a medical entity). Reflux can cause the following:

Crying in pain Discomfort when feeding (arching, screaming, refusal, turning away)
Fussiness
Runny nose
Frequent vomiting or spitting up
Foul breath (smells acidic)
Chronic Cough
Night-time cough
Poor sleep habits, frequent waking
Wet burps
Hiccups
Comfort feeding- constant feeding to alleviate pain
Food intolerances
Hoarse voice, sore throat
Poor Weight gain

Less common symptoms of reflux:

Aspiration Recurrent pneumonias
Ear/nose/throat/sinus infections

He doesn't actually have to vomit a lot to have reflux. Sometimes the stomach contents only make it part of the way up the food pipe (can't spell oesophag..... arrrrgh!)but still causes the LO discomfort.

It can be treated with baby Gaviscon or antacids if need be.

Re sleeping - generally I find (and lots of other mums too) that my LO sleeps better at night the more sleep she gets in the day - if she doesn't sleep, she gets horribly overtired, screams and cries, can't stay awake once she does get to sleep and is a nightmare to settle!

Just a thought!

Lucy.

Criminey crow...I think Char has developed reflux! She hasn't been sleeping the past few nights/days and all the symptoms listed above...she has them! Thank you!

Well went to doc's again today. And this time jacob was howling there ( i know its bad but i was happy because every other time he's been sleeping peacefully and doc just thinks im a parinoid mother.) well doc says its defo colic :( And there not much he can do......somethings work and others just dont each baba diff. So just got to try to get on with it basically......easier said than done with 2 hours sleep!! But hey will going. But last night i ended up taking him into bed with me. OH slept in spare room ( at least one of us should have sleep) And he slept (grizzly) for 2 hours. So i know its a bad habit and ill regret it all in months to come. But for now if it means i get an extra bit sleep im going to do it.....so come on girls any suggestions are more than welcome.

Tried changing bottles (£60 later :dohh:)
Midwife changed his milk to easy digest stuff.
Tried Infacol
Tried Colief
Tried days with nothing.
Too young for gripe water yet.....Counting the days to try :rofl:
Tried keeping him up in the day as much as poss. But when a baba wants to sleep HE WILL!! Only for mummy just to fall asleep and then he wakes :dohh: !!
I wind him for at least 30mins after each feed.

HELP!! :) XxxX

Poor wee thing....
My sis was visiting the other day and her oldest daughter had the worst colic when she was a baby, and Daisy was quite windy that day and I thought it was colic but sis assured me that it wasn't cos she wasnt screaming the house down, but she did give me some tips that were given to her to help babies break wind.....

hold LO's bum and just below their shoulders and gently raise them up, they will stretch out and this can sometimes help them release it.

Try not to bend them over (hand under chin method) to wind them as it just hurts more.

Lie them across your knee and pat their back or use 2 fingers and run them down either side of their back in a sort of zig zag method.

When they get really sore try them in a warm bath with your hand on their belly lying them on their front.

Poor little lamb, I hope he is feeling better soon:hugs:

i think ffion has reflux too now :s

huge hugs ema i hope things r better soon

:hugs: Sorry to hear he's poorly Ema................I've taken Hannah to bed with me on occassion and she sleeps fine in her crib at night

Our nights haven't been going well though.......................Hannah's back into a pattern of getting up twice for a feed, she was almost sleeping through a few weeks ago!

I'm sorry Ema :hugs:

I thought Lola-Rose had colic a couple of weeks ago but turns out she was just gassy.
I massaged her tummy quite a lot,it seemed to have helped her soothe.And sleeping in bed with me also...
Hope he feels better.:hugs:

She woke up twice tonight...same routine always.
I don't know if I should even try and make her sleep through the night...
She's happy,she doesn't cry....she's just not big on sleeping :shrug:

lastnight ffion went to bed at 8 and woke every hour from 11

hoping for a better night tonight

Just had a struggle with Seth again. It took 90 mins until he went to sleep :( God knows what tonight is going to be like.

I spoke to the HV about it today, about getting him settled for the night and she said:

Dont feed him to sleep
Dont let him cry himself to sleep
Dont give him a pacifier
Dont cuddle him to sleep

So what... do I do then?

And he's awake again. Great lol

xxx

Your HV would have been as well saying, Don't let him sleep!!!!

I have to admit even with all the trouble we've had with Ruby going to sleep is the one thing she has always been a gem at doing, she always falls asleep in her cot around 9 o'clock every night, don't usually have to fight with her.

She doesn't sleep through the night though...can't have everything I suppose.

Well I had another night of hell :( poor thing has got a nasty cold and coughs for 20 min before finally falling asleep only to wake up with a stuffy nose .. he cant find his position to sleep and mom gets fussy also ..I bring him in bed with us and he starts screaming and arms & legs go flaling and both parents get hurt lol the only thing that works is feeding till his tummy is so full and gets mad when i take the bottle awya but i know he cant have more ..

well I bought some homeipathic stuff hoping this works Ill let you girls know

much better night lastnight..ffion went down early about 7.30 so i dreamfed her at about 10 (which i dnt normally do) she slept till 3.15, had a feed then went back down till 6.50

Im knackered iv been awake since 4am...bloody teething!!

Awake since 4 am here too.... He went to sleep at 11pm slept till 1 had a feed then settled back down at 2 slept till 4 and been awake crying since......walking zombie alert!! Luckily me mum coming to stay friday and giving me a night off. Only functioning on 3-4hours sleep is taking its toll badly!! And kyle back in work on monday :( NO!!! im dreading it. cause he takes the lil man in the morning so i can just get me head together for 5 mins and make the days feeds etc......oh well wont last forever maybe a few more months. But sooner or later his poor belly going to settle and ill get some sleep :) XxxX

Bed at 10pm (normally 8pm)
Boob at 2am, 4am and 6am
Up at 7am but stayed in bed untill 8am

And I am still bloody knackered! :dohh:

Those with the younger LOs, I've found that rather than keeping them awake during the day, letting them sleep actually encourages them to sleep more. The more they sleep, the more they sleep.

this is so true. i used to try and keep ali awake during the day hoping he would sleep at night - didn't work - had the opposite effect on him!

now i just let him nap when he wants during the day and he sleeps all night now. he spends most of his day eating and sleeping!!!

Christine
X

Another bad night last night, and I can see another one coming tonight. Hes been up 3 times in the past 2 hours. Dont know if theres any point going to bed :(

xxx

AAAARRRGHH! Why can't she just sleep through? Even just until 5 would do. Last night she woke up every 2 and a half hours from 1 which wasnt too bad but i'm still knackered. I started her with a routine, bath at 6, bottle and baby rice at 6.30, bed by 8 but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. Should I do it later? Like bath at 8, feed at 8.30, bed by 10? I don't know whether i'd prefer more sleep or more tome to just chill out in the evenings

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->