sleepy baby when bf need tips girlies

Heather.78

Reaction score
right so as some of you know Maiya and I are bf now what Im finding hard now is when she was on the bottle shed drink 1/2 burp then have the other 1/2 burp sleep in that lovley easy order now( and bless her little cotton socks) its feed one breast fall asleep( even though I try everything to keep her awake ie tickle rub cheek and blow on her face) then I put her down knowing full well my milk hasnt quite got up to the supply she needs and 5 mins later cry cry cry so back on boob she goes and it happens again, will she start feeding for longer any time soon?? when will my milk supply get up to what she needs( been bf only for 5 days and in total abput 14-18 times a day bear in mind sometimes its only for the 5 mins though)? tips on keeping her awake girlies. Im so determined it will work but I also dont want to starve the poor little girl if Im not up to it yet

it's hard work for them to get the milk! it tires them out. mine still falls asleep now, before she's done, most times i don't know if she is done or not! mw told me to change boobs, don't know if this is good practice? so she'd feed 4 or 6 times, switching boobs, inbetween switches play with her, change her, wind her etc all those things you said. at the end of the day though, if she's tired she's gonnna sleep! IT GETS BETTER! your milk supply should become more established and then she may take more in one go. also when she's got the hang of it more she'll be more able to suckle. i've forgotten what you put in your original post - sorry for babbling!

Ava does the same thing, it's so frustrating!! I resorted to giving her a bottle of expressed milk when she wakes at 3 and 6am so she's only awake for 40mins or so. I just express when she feeds to kep my supply up. Would love to hear any tips.

It does get better really quickly! I used to blow on Sam's face or tickle his feet - you could also try feeding her in just a nappy so she's not as warm to keep her awake a bit longer (tried most of that with Sam but not much actually worked!)

When she does fall asleep you could try breast compressions though, just to remind her what she's meant to be doing - thumb on one side of the breast and fingers on the other, quite far back from the nipple, and squeeze downwards towards the nipple. She should start drinking again as the milk squirts into her mouth - keep squeezed until she stops drinking then do it again.

You'll find she's far more alert and awake more in a couple of weeks though - she'll feed more quickly and won't fall asleep quite so much! x

thanks guys we're feeding now so ill give it ago if she falls asleep

My LO falls asleep on the boob all the time but I just let her. I think they're so content and feel so snug it would be hard not to fall asleep xxx

in hospital we had to strip Ally down to a nappy, tickle his feet, blow in his ear...at one stage they even kind of jiggled him about while he was still on the boob to keep him awake. He had a fairly bad case of jaundice at the time though lol.

If Amelia falls asleep i pull her off sit her up and try to burp her, slowly she wakes up and realises she isn't attached to me anymore and starts screaming! I pop her back on or do what Carolyn does and switch her to the other breast for a couple of mins then put her back on the first one to get the hindmilk.

Like the others have said it does get a lot easier

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->