Sling recomendations please

KayCee114

Mummy to Grace <3
Reaction score
Hi

i have been directed to this part of the forum by another member to ask about slings.

I'm really wanting to get one so I can carry my baby 'handsfree' and get on with jobs around the house.

I have a bad lower back and so I would need something which could spread the weight. (she's a big baby! 12lb6 at 6 weeks!)

I'm also wanting something which is versatile so I could wear her on my front, back or hip etc.

I really like the look of the ring slings for the above reasons.

Just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions or could reccommend something for me.

I saw someone in a shop wearing a ring sling the other day and I loved how it looked and the baby looked so contented being so close to mummy.

Also, if anyone is selling any slings / carriers I would love to know prices please.

Many thanks!

Xxx

I use a babyhawk and think its the best invention ever! Its sooo comfy and logan loves it!

I'm a big fan of my Moby but feel it won't last you over 6 months PLUS although its easy to learn to tie it after maybe three times you have to perfect the fit for you. (I've mastered this and can comfortably carry LO who is over 7kg for walks of over and hour and days out too, although I take her out when I sit down. OH however can't seem to tie it comfortably as he only gets to try on the weekends) It REALLY helps with spreading the weight across the shoulders comfortably. Plus you can wear it in a few different ways.

I actually love my Moby BUT I am now investigating a sturdier more long term option. I love the "snuggliness" of hte Moby but its this exact thing which means as she gets heavier it's not going to be ideal.

I've heard good things about the baby hawk (which is a bit pricier than a moby) by most people but a few people just don't get on with them.

The other option (pricier still) is something like an ergo or a manduca carrier which is more structured.

You can hire slings/wraps from places like slingjax and slumber-roo for about £12 which is a great option or you can get yourself down to a sling meet in your area or nearby which is an AWESOME way to try some out although only for a short while. There's a facebook group and a website (slingmeet.co.uk)

best of luck!
:thumbup:

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like im going to have to spend more than i thought!

I like the idea of a sling meet! Will look into that!

I was looking at a couple on ebay. Are these any good?

This one looks really comfy, and the description sounds good...
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Wrap-Sty...wItem&pt=UK_Baby_Carriers&hash=item2a078e4995

and this one has padded parts which also sounds good...
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310225662995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or should i definately be going for the higher end ones?

thanks xxx

Hi! The first is like a Moby and like Red Poppy said, it might not last long with a bigger baby. My dd is a big baby too- she was over 15lbs at 2 months and is now about 24lbs. We can still use our Moby but it needs to be readjusted a lot since it stretches out as it's worn. We only use our ring sling for quick trips into the shops from the car since she's so heavy I find it hurts my neck if I use it too long. Hubby likes our Baby Hawk best and I like our Boba (it's a soft structured carrier). I also made something like a maya tie- it's easy to use like a baby hawk or other mei tai but it has wide straps so it distributes the weight like a wrap- might be an option if you have a bad back. You don't have to get an expensive carrier but a sling meet might be a good way of narrowing down the style that works best for you. hth :flower:

I recommend getting to a local sling meet, have you looked on the sling meet site?

I love a ring sling for a newborn or a MT, like a Babyhawk easy to use & will last thru to toddlerhood

Come & have a look on Natural Mamas, we are mainly a Babywearing forum :winkwink:

I have a Mei Tai, but lo seems to have taken a dislike to it at the mo :( a friend has lent me a Wilkinet though and it is soooooo comfy & although he's not feeling the Mei Tai love at the moment, he'll quite happily be worn in the Wilkinet. It has lovely padded straps too and is really easy to use. I also think it's great for a younger baba as it secures them in.

It's worth posting in the cloth swap & sell bit to see who's selling what :) xxxx

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like im going to have to spend more than i thought!

I like the idea of a sling meet! Will look into that!

I was looking at a couple on ebay. Are these any good?

This one looks really comfy, and the description sounds good...
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Wrap-Sty...wItem&pt=UK_Baby_Carriers&hash=item2a078e4995

and this one has padded parts which also sounds good...
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310225662995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or should i definately be going for the higher end ones?

thanks xxx

I personally would recommend starting with a simple wrap/piece of cloth and then moving on up to something else if it suits you and you like it but want to move on.

The resale prices for most nice carriers is pretty high and on natural mamas you'll be able to see what they are.

The Moby has some stretch to it (not as much as the close) but if you get a woven wrap with minimal or no stretch that should last longer for carrying your baby. However you have to learn to tie it differently as you can't tie it on you and slide baby in as their isn't enough give.

Also buying already used means you spend even less and many times can resell at the same price.
:thumbup:

I love our mei tai-style carrier, I have a bad back as well and when I wear Carmen on my front I can't feel any strain at all on my back or shoulders. I haven't worn her on my back yet but the way the carrier is tied, all the support is under her bum rather than down from my shoulders iykwim, so it'll probably be pretty comfortable for a back carry too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->