Smear test - is anyone to scared to go?

RubyLouise

Mum to 2 girls
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm 25 in 6 months time and today I had the letter through to say I need to make an appointment. Does that mean now or in 6 months?
Also, I have anxiety quite badly. I'm on mirtazapine and I started a cbt course today.
I'm fine with the test itself but I'm worried I will worry myself sick over waiting for results. I honestly don't know how I will cope.

Can anyone give me some guidance or words of advice?

I'm worried worrying about this will ruin my Christmas. I've been so excited about it and now this feels like a dark cloud over it.
I've made my husband hide the letter in a cupboard as ridiculous as that sounds.

Ring your gp and ask if you should book now. I've had a fair few smear tests now. They use a soft brush now to take the cells and you can't feel it. You've had a baby so the speculum will be a walk in the park.

Please don't worry. Very few people have anything come up to be worried about. I know a couple of girls who have had abnormal results but it's been treated very quickly and easily and most importantly, before it became anything serious. Its a brilliant preventative tool, so the best thing you can do is go. Speak to the nurse about your anxieties and they'll help put your mind at rest too hun :hugs:

Eta - varies area to area but I got my results back in about a week last time, so not too long to wait x

I'm the opposite as worry if there is something and by the time it's picked up it to late to do anything. I'm 23 so haven't had one yet x

I've had 4. Trust me, Dter having two babies, it was a walk in the park!

It's absolutely fine, the nurses are always lovely and put you at ease.

I'd call now, get it booked and over with ASAP to save you worrying about results Etc

Im 24 and ive missed loads, I just throw thrle letters out. (Im in wales so we have them early) im due another one in 4weeks when my baby is 12 weeks so im going.
Its best to go, its only a couple of minutes. X

I absolutely hated having it done, i had an early one because of some symptoms, thankfully all clear, but i've had swabs etc taken since and even though it can be awful.
Please, please, get it done, its so important.
Focus on something in the room and count to ten. Always works for me.

xx

Ive had two already. Due one now and im dreading it! Not scared more embarrassed and awkward about the situation.

I am crapping myself. I had my letter back in June but I've not made my appt yet. For starters anything down there is agony for me. But because it's my first I'm terrified too. I guess it's easier when you have them regularly.
I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet and just go but like you I feel like it's hanging over Christmas so I'm going to do it in the new year :dohh:

OP I am the same. I got told it was silly and it's just a smear test but it makes me feel sick and I'm only 22 so have a while yet. It's a psychological thing I think. I've always had major issues with sex too, in that it really frightens me. I don't think I'll be able to go through with it when I get my letter. I don't know what to advise you to do but I wish you the best of luck with it!

I got mine too but I'm waiting til my 25th in March to ring up lol xx

I've just booked mine for 8th January. I've had the letter hanging around for months but not done anything, then i was reminded about someone who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer too late and died, leaving their young children behind :(

I took one look at Freya and knew i couldn't do that to her. I would hate to be without her or for her to be without me so i called the doctor. I tried to book it in for now so that i could get it out of the way but it needs to be mid-cycle so it's booked for 8th.

Although i'm panicking (i too suffer from anxiety) and i know i will panic until i get the all clear, i just have to make sure i'll be around for my little girl.

I've already had sleepless nights imagining being told i'm dying, i've even thought about what to write in a letter to leave Freya! It's awful! I'm just trying to stay positive and get through Christmas.

I was scared when i had my first one and waiting for the results i was bricking it. But i would rather go through up to 2 weeks of worrying than a life of worrying

I am so thankful for this thread.

I am almost 34 and been too frightened to ever have one done. It is the process that scares me. I found it painful when they tried years ago.

Ive spoke to my GP who said that now I have had a child it will not hurt. Is this true?

Either way I need to do it, it isn't fair on my son.

Im going to book in for the start of January.

Thanks.

My only advice would be to do it sooner rather than later. I have had 3 and was due another around the same time as i got pregnant so couldnt get it done. When my dd was born i was reminded to get it done, which i didnt. Last month i was having mega symptoms that something wasnt right, i went to see my doctor about my symptoms and she done a smear test there and then to rule out anything serious. It hit home then that Because of putting it off i could be endangering my life maybe even leaving my daughter without a mum. Thankfully my results were clear but it made me realise that it doesnt matter how uncomfortable it is i need to force myself for the sake of my family.

I turned 25 this year and have ignored two letters so far, but that was because I had a health scare with a large cyst and wanted to get that sorted out first. I see my consultant on the 23rd, so once that's over I need to get round to booking my smear. Although my GP did swab some cells to test earlier in the year, is that the same thing?

You dont want to do a Jade Goodey. If you need the smear, you should get it done.

You dont want to do a Jade Goodey. If you need the smear, you should get it done.

It's what happened to jade goody that scares me! I think she went for smears tho didn't she and had cells removed?

It's what happened to jade goody that scares me! I think she went for smears tho didn't she and had cells removed?

She was too frightened to go for smear tests and thus by the time she had a smear it was too late! Always best to accept whatever checks are offered!

I am so overdue for mine. I was supposed to go 6 months before I got pregnant with my last baby then obviously that happened. I then couldn't have it done til six months PP and I got a couple of reminder letters. I then had a health scare a few months back and needed an angiogram and although everything was fine I just wanted to avoid the dr lol. Then my life just went crazy and I got pregnant again so I'm gonna be very overdue by the time I get to go have it done. I wish I'd not put it off now :dohh: This will be my third as I had to have one at 18 and one again at 25 which is routine.

I had my first at 22. It wasn't painful for me. What was more embarrassing was having my male GP have a look to see if I'd prolapsed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->