Smear test - is anyone to scared to go?

You'd have so much more to be worried about if you didn't get the smear and you let abnormal cells go undetected/unmonitored.

I just had a colposcopy for abnormal smear results and got told to come back and get another smear in a year - no way am I letting that fall by the wayside!

Cervical cancer is so slow-growing, if you get regular pap smears you give yourself the best chance of finding any changes BEFORE THEY TURN INTO CANCER and having the abnormal cells removed. It's amazing what modern medicine can do!

Please trust me that not getting pap smears is much, much more worrying than getting them. Statistically, you shouldn't be worried. I'm a scientist so I like statistics :)

I think the thing to bear in mind is that, you'll never regret having it done, but you might regret not having it.

My mum has had abnormal cells quite a few times now so I know how important it is to go for my smear every 3 years on the dot. I'm in Scotland so they start at 20 here, I've had 2 now with no problems. As another poster said it was the jade goody thing too that showed me how important it was to go for my smear regularly. And of course young girls get the jab now to help protect against the hpv virus that can cause cervical cancer but this makes me worry that girls will think it won't matter if they miss smears because they are protected to some degree even thought there are different forms of the cancer, smears really are the best prevention.

This thread has just made me ring up and book in. Was putting it off and putting it off. Thanks ladies.x

I think the thing to bear in mind is that, you'll never regret having it done, but you might regret not having it.

:thumbup: Definitely.

I had one a few years ago when I was under 25 as I had symptoms. I was terrified as I didn't exactly have an ideal birth of my son and having someone poking around up there again sent me into a panic. BUT it is so so important, and it's over so quickly!

I'm not sure when mine's due again, do they send reminder letters?

If you have had a normal smear then you're retested in 3 years and yes I believe you will get a letter sent out as it's all automated :)

Smear tests don't hurt,I promise,although your natural reaction is to lift your bum up,don't!push down into the bed,its over in seconds :) They usually write to you,but if you call the GP surgery they should be able to get the doc to call you with the results.xx

I'm usually not the least bit bothered by it. This time I'll be about 7 months pregnant when it's due so I'll probably put it off until after the birth so it won't cause any issues.

I've never been for one either. Been thinking I should go, but I don't relish the idea of the whole process - a little too embarrassed!

I've never been for one either. Been thinking I should go, but I don't relish the idea of the whole process - a little too embarrassed!

It's over in seconds...honestly,the treatment you'd have for cancer is a lot worse!xx

I have had loads, I was scared to get it done but it's not sore just uncomfortable and they make you as unembarrassed as possible.
At 22 after having all my HPV vaccines, I had stage 2 cells that needed removed twice after my son I really urge everyone to get there smears done.

I keep getting reminders about mine, really need to book one!

I just rang to make my appointment and the receptionist was really rude and said we'll you're not 25 so you can't be seen. But the letter said to make an appointment now as I turn 25 in 6 months.... I'm so confused!
Should I wait till June or ring back and speak to someone else next week? I'm 24 at the moment and turn 25 in June. X

I would call back and ask to speak to someone else,or ask for a nurse consoltation,you don't have to tell the receptionist what the appointment is about,if its in June,the nurse can tell you,if it needs doing now,she can do it there and then :)

People like her make me angry..speaking to people like that could put someone off getting theirs done..x

Yeah she's wrong, I got my letter though 6 months early so I called the surgery to ask about it and they said I could book it at any time after getting the letter.
Booked mine for Tuesday - nervous! :wacko:

They had to scrape me off the ceiling after internals... apparently I have a 'sensitive cervix' :lol: :cry:

They are literally touching the cervix with like a cotton bud..it honestly doesn't hurt.xx

Can you have a smear done while pregnant? Mine will be due aug... but I will be ttc from next month and If I fall as quick as I did last time ill be 5/6m gone....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->