Smear test - is anyone to scared to go?

I put off my smear for ages thinking it would be embarrassing and to be honest I wish I didn't. I ended up with multiple surgeries and several infections after cervical cancer and I'm the last year I've had about 8/9 smear tests mostly as follow ups after my all clear and another couple to check on my infections.

I'd urge anyone to get one done I would do that embarrassment 1,000 times over compared to what I went through and still have a daily reminder of it now x

Just wanted to say thank you to all you ladies. I've been putting off having my smear test for a couple of years as I was pregnant with my youngest when it was due so I 'got away with it' I really hate them, I was soo nervous last time it ended up being really painful because I was so tense. But after reading through this thread I rang up this morning to make the appointment. Had to put up with feeling like a little kid being told off for ignoring letters and actually have to ring back next month because I'm in the wrong stage of my cycle but at least I've done something about it. After having two kids the smear test will be a walk in the park won't it?!

x

My smears and swabs are really painful now each time. Sorry for tmi but I've not fully healed and it's very sore just for bd. so yeah it's over so quick Hun you'll be fine xxx

Can you have a smear done while pregnant? Mine will be due aug... but I will be ttc from next month and If I fall as quick as I did last time ill be 5/6m gone....

No, I think you also have to wait until LO is a few months too. You could always see if they would do it any earlier x

I've had 2 done, one for each pregnancy. I never felt a thing. Hope it goes okay. :hugs:

Ill make apt for same day I make apt for implant out then. I have a hustory of falling preg 1st month off birth control...

Just had mine today. Can't believe I've been panicking 6 months over it :lol:
It's NOTHING! Just gotta wait for the results now which I'm not looking forward to as I tend to obsess over my health lately, but oh well it's only two weeks.

Just had mine today. Can't believe I've been panicking 6 months over it :lol:
It's NOTHING! Just gotta wait for the results now which I'm not looking forward to as I tend to obsess over my health lately, but oh well it's only two weeks.

Glad to hear it :) Like you I found internals really painful (way worse than contractions!) so I've been worried about having a smear. Maybe next time I get the letter I'll actually go!

Yeah it was literally nothing, I was so relieved. I must be the only person to walk out of a smear with a big smile on my face :haha:
The nurse did mention that my cervix is tilted so maybes that's why it hurt in the past?

Please please don't delay, go for your smear as soon as you can. I had pre cancerous cells I had to have removed, they were caught because I went for my smear and didn't delay....they said if i hadnt gone regularly they could have developed.I always say it'd be a lot worse to have treatment and potentially die, than to be embarrassed and possibly slightly uncomfortable for a few minutes..take my advice and go :flower:

Can anyone clear this up for me...I've noticed some ladies saying they haven't been for one yet and they're in their 20's....I went for my first one when I was 18 or 19...if I hadn't, my pre cancerous cells might well have developed a lot further, i dread to think to what extent... Is there a reason some don't go til they're older...?

Ahh that explains it..don't they say u should get them within 3 years of your first sexual experience tho? Or am I making that up....

Can anyone clear this up for me...I've noticed some ladies saying they haven't been for one yet and they're in their 20's....I went for my first one when I was 18 or 19...if I hadn't, my pre cancerous cells might well have developed a lot further, i dread to think to what extent... Is there a reason some don't go til they're older...?

In most OB/GYNs in the United States, they don't start screenings until 21 or 25. I've had 2 (age 18 & 21) only because of my pregnancies.

I think its within 3yrs of first baby... although im not 100% on that.
If you have any syptoms u can request a smear but regular screejing doesnt begin til 25. Im due one this summer but will ask for it sooner to fit in with my ttc plans..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->