Smoking and IVF... plz help

babydream

ttc#2
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Dh had his second SA on Friday we get results on Monday but we were already told that we're heading towards IVF. First SA showed poor motility and morphology and not much chance it improved. My scan showed pcos but still producing eggs. I know i ovulate every month though especially now that i lost weight and take better care of myself. Af became more regular too. So i'm hoping we could go with IUI first or at least uninduced cycle IVF. Next consultant appointment is 11th July, we'll see what she says. But we were told that dh needs to totally quit smoking otherwise we won't be accepted for the IVF programme. He's not a chainsmoker only 1-2/day some day none at all. Do you know how long he needs to be clear of the cigarettes to be accepted?? Many thanks

hiya baby dream, im not sure how long you have to be free from smoking but we were also told smoking would harm our chances of being accepted for ivf, were both attempting to quit but DH is finding it very hard and im really scared about it :/ lets hope it wont hinder out chances too much xx

Ooohh i just read an article that said they making partners blow into a breathalizer for CO and only get treatment if it's green! How ridiculous!

:shock: thats shocking!!

okaii now im REALLY scared!! :nope:

im sure it shows up CO up to about 3/4 days before but not 100% gunna google it actually :haha:

xx

It said it's so sensitive that it shows occasional smoking too. But wouldn't people get some CO from the fumes of cars or passive smoking? Anyway, this criteria varies amongst PCTs, don't worry too much hopefully yours is not so strict. xx

in a way i hope they are that strict, it might encourage DH to stay off the fags for good :D xx

Hi there

I gave up smoking before going through IVF becuase we were told we wouldn't get our grant on the NHS and obviously it does increase your chances aswell. The fs new I smoked before but I already gave up when we got refered for IVF x

Not sure of exact amount of time bit you'd need to be off them at least a few weeks to get a non-smoker reading, which I think is 5 or below.

Me and Oh gave up in prep for IVF. I used champix which were brill and made givin up stress free. In the class we had to blow into a reader and it wasn't til week 3 I got a Reading of a non smoker.

Now been off them 19 weeks. Good luck!

Ahh that's great, well done all of you for quitting. Debbie, if it showed non smoker by week 3 then it's awesome!!! Dh never been a big smoker, only had 1-2 a day at work but haven't had any for over a week so i'm thinking he'll be okay by our appointment. woohooo Thanks ladies, good luck to you all xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->