• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smoking breath test for pregnant mums?

Twister

Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Not sure what I think about this. I smoked pre pregnancy and stopped cold turkey when I found out about my pregnancy. However It's not always as easy as that for everyone. I think some smoking mums are embarrassed so they tell the midwife that they have stopped for fear of judgement when in reality they could do with help and advice, I see how the test could be beneficial in these cases. However it also comes across as if mums aren't to be trusted, especially as it would be done on the very first midwife appointment.

Thoughts?

I think it's good - having a high reading would be a massive reality check to some expectant mothers who may think the amount that they're smoking during pregnancy would probably not be having much of an effect. The hard physical evidence would be enough of a deterrent for some i'm sure. I find the 'nanny state' comments a little dramatic; the course of action will simply be advice. I think the test should be optional though; going through some imagery techniques (such as picturing the umbilical being compressed) alongside the reading is powerful motivation.

I quit before I fell pregnant and hated the smell of cigarettes throughout. I did go back to smoking (roll-ups, though) and even now, hate regular cigarettes and I never smoke around LO. I think getting advice regarding quitting is a great idea, but those who know they should quit will ask for advice whereas others won't care at all....

best wishes

It's not ideal because of the whole treating people as children thing (though for me, the smoking test wouldn't bother me at all) but I think that the potential benefits outweigh the negatives here by a mile. The discomfort and embarrassment of mothers who smoke (who shouldn't, there's no excuse not to quit, it cannot be condoned IMO) is nothing compared to the utter hell undergone by unborn babies who are subject to smoke, and the risks in pregnancy and throughout life that they're then subjected to. If even one mother stops smoking because of it then it's worth it.

I'm not in the UK, but I feel like this would make a lot of mothers feel distrusted and demeaned. I know that if I went to the doctor and they didn't trust me to tell the truth and insisted on testing me, I'd be really angry. I agree with one of the comments on the article that says it's a slippery slope. Will we then start doing mandatory drug testing for pregnant women? Vitamin checks to see if you're eating right? What about parenting tests to see if you're going to be a fit mother? Where does it end?

I think we need to trust people. Yes, some women will continue smoking, but we can't control every little part of people's lives.

Tbh I think its a good thing, its important for patients to answer questions honestly so they can get the care they need. It's not like its for the Mums benefit, it's for the babies. The thought of it will spur mums on to tell the truth, and then they'll get the help/extra monitoring they need.

You get random drug tests at work to ensure you can undertake your responsibilities efficiently so why should one be offended when asked to do something similar during pregnancy? It may be your body but you are still responsible for anothers livelihood. Ultimately, it's down to the consequences and there are no sanctions imposed whether you smoke of not - just simply offered advice. I'm sure there are many women who believe only heavy smokers are putting themselves at risk. Having a accurate monoxide reading would probably shock a lot of casual smoking pregnant women.

I've never got how anyone can smoke when pregnant. I think it's a good thing

I'm very anti-smoking in pretty much any circumstance, not only pregnancy, but this just kind of rubs me the wrong way!

You get random drug tests at work to ensure you can undertake your responsibilities efficiently so why should one be offended when asked to do something similar during pregnancy? It may be your body but you are still responsible for anothers livelihood. Ultimately, it's down to the consequences and there are no sanctions imposed whether you smoke of not - just simply offered advice. I'm sure there are many women who believe only heavy smokers are putting themselves at risk. Having a accurate monoxide reading would probably shock a lot of casual smoking pregnant women.
Really? What types of jobs? I only knew about this for athletes.

As to the original question, doesn't the Dr/midwife put in your notes whether you smoke or not anyway?

I think it's hard for some women definitely, and not necessarily the best way to handle them if they're struggling with giving up. On the other hand, it's something that may directly affect the baby's health and its healthcare needs later on in life. It's tricky.

As to the original question, doesn't the Dr/midwife put in your notes whether you smoke or not anyway?

I think it's hard for some women definitely, and not necessarily the best way to handle them if they're struggling with giving up. On the other hand, it's something that may directly affect the baby's health and its healthcare needs later on in life. It's tricky.

Prison officers do! Any job can put it in their contract. I think police officers can be asked to give one at any time, and anyone in the armed forces.

You can get random drugs tests in any profession - my OHs brother is a project manager working on building sites and requires them, so did my friend who worked in a theme park. Probably anything where you being in an intoxicated state would possibly endanger a life.

My husband works in the oilfield and it is mandatory for all employees to do a drug test upon hiring and after that, it can be a random check at any time. My friend is an accountant and they've just enforced random drug tests as well.

You can get random drugs tests in any profession - my OHs brother is a project manager working on building sites and requires them, so did my friend who worked in a theme park. Probably anything where you being in an intoxicated state would possibly endanger a life.
Now I think about, my friend has just become a police officer and had to do drug tests. It stands to reason when they've got roomfuls of drugs just sitting there to be experimented with :dohh:

They have to put it in your contract then?

I'm not in the UK, but I feel like this would make a lot of mothers feel distrusted and demeaned. I know that if I went to the doctor and they didn't trust me to tell the truth and insisted on testing me, I'd be really angry. I agree with one of the comments on the article that says it's a slippery slope. Will we then start doing mandatory drug testing for pregnant women? Vitamin checks to see if you're eating right? What about parenting tests to see if you're going to be a fit mother? Where does it end?

I think we need to trust people. Yes, some women will continue smoking, but we can't control every little part of people's lives.

This is exactly what I thought. You let this go ahead what else is next, will there be tests to see who is a fit parent and someone else decide? mums should be helped to stop not tested like this it dosnt feel right at all.

I'm wholly against this. If someone doesn't want to tell their midwife, it's their business. And most likely anyone not telling them is well aware there are risks involved and clearly have made a choice. All that may happen is women will refuse to visit their midwife. It is a really distrustful thing. I understand why people think its a good idea, but what if you all went and told your midwife you didn't smoke and he/she insisted you had the test. Basically they are calling you a liar. I've a huge problem with medical professionals who think I am being dishonest with them.

And what next? There are so many things one can do in a pregnancy which are ill advised. How about drug tests? (One local hospital here was shocked to discover how many women admitted to taking drugs during pregnancy) How about a blood alcohol test being done? How about them doing spot checks on on your fridge? After all drug taking, bad diet and excessive drinking through the pregnancy can be just as dangerous. Would you be happy to be subjected to a barrage of tests simply because your midwife thought you were lying?

The breath test also is unable to properly assess levels of smoking. A 20 a day smoker can abstain from smoking for a few hours before a test and pass it, someone can have one cigarette just before they go in and fail.

Smoking is too easy for the NHS to target to little effect other than telling people how to live their lives. It looks good on paper when really there are many other things they could be doing to reduce problems in pregnancy. Also, from a midwife's point of view, what do they do with the information? If it is to make sure women get support to quit. Why not just outline what is available to women who want to quit at the first clinic? Unless the purpose is to nag and nag, which frankly is not their place.

I wouldn't compare this to drug testing for employees either. Companies don't carry this out because they want to protect the wider public, they do so because they are responsible for an employee's actions. If you are on drugs and cause an accident, your company will be sued for that. If you smoke during pregnancy, the NHS won't be sued if something goes wrong.

I'm not keen on the idea either, but even though the NHS may not be sued if a child is born with defects because of smoking in pregnancy, it still loses out financially somewhere down the line because of the extra care necessary.

Yes, but when did the NHS ever really get on board with preventative spending?

Yes, but when did the NHS ever really get on board with preventative spending?
Not sure, but their anti-smoking and obesity drives are usually to do with long-term costs, and the adverts telling you not to turn up at A&E for non-emergencies.

You know what I find ironic when I go to the hospital here. Soon as you walk near the main doors and inside the corridor, loads of smokers, beside them vendor machines filled with junk food and fizzy drinks (no water) then behind them a shop filled with sweets. And on every floor, ward and waiting room there are vendor machines. I couldnt have any on the anti natel ward at all due to my allergies just coke, sweets, and chrisps. Great way to combat obesity and smoking local hospital. And the other smoking section is right below the maturity ward outside.
Edit: I also went to an emergency dentist in another city one night and it was worse, outside the dentists room was a vendor machine filled with sweets. And I was starving with a tooth ache and the hospital shop looked like it was sponsored by a local choc place as they had candy stocked to the top. They may as well sell cigarettes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->