• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smoking breath test for pregnant mums?

It's your opinion that they should be singled out, and its mine that they shouldn't :).

Thankfully the NHS and other health care professionals internationally that I am aware of see it from our point of view :)

It's your opinion that they should be singled out, and its mine that they shouldn't :).

I can't understand this at all, I realise it is your opinion, but I can't understand it

People are 'singled out' right across the board when it comes to accessing NHS services so why should smokers be any different? It's ONLY the smokers who NEED access to this service, so why waste time and money on people who don't need it?

There would be no point giving support with stopping smoking to non smokers :shrug:

Where do you draw the line? Should all expectant mothers also be given drug support just so as not to 'single out' those who actually had a problem? Or should all expectant mothers be given alcohol support so as not to 'single out' those with an alcohol problem?

Our NHS is stretched enough without wasting resources on people who don't actually NEED the service

Honestly of you're not a smoker and never been one you can't really say that there's no excuse for smoking during pregnancy.

I am the daughter of two smokers who smoked during the pregnancy, lit up to relax during labor, and smoked several packs/week as I was growing up. I feel perfectly qualified to say that there is absolutely no excuse for smoking during pregnancy. And that's all I'll say since I don't want my account suspended again for calling something out as a terrible lifestyle choice.

I'm not going to justify why I feel the way I do. I'm just going to say that you guys are acting like I said we should dedicate a whole doctors appointment with a 20min powerpoint about how to quit smoking - oh and while we're at it, maybe we should just hand out nicorette too to everyone who comes to an appointment!

Thats not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying a small pamphlet that is handed out with the OTHER 6 or 7 pamphlets that I got about not shaking your baby, trisomy 21 tests (I didn't getting those, so why are they wasting their resources giving it to me????) etc that simply say the effects of smoking, and even second hand/third hand smoking so that it IS relevant to others (Or wait - are you so perfect that you don't even go near people who smoke on the streets?) that the person can flip through on their own time and read it.

This is ridiculous anyway since it was cleared up that the test isnt even to single out smokers - its just to test for carbon monoxide. I'm not against that. I'm against asking a pregnant girl "do you smoke" and when she says no, forcing her to take a test anyway. I'm also not saying that they should definitely hand out pamphlets, but what I'm saying is IF... IFFFFFF they were going to take this method of testing people who say no to "do you smoke", a better method, in my opinion (and I don't give a hoot if you dont understand my opinion) is what I mentioned above.

That's my cue. Bye.

I havent raedthrough...so just dropping an opinion here:

I am not for smoking, at all....for obvious reasons. Health being the biggest, and also waste of money. But, def not in pregnancy. Man...I know these women should know better, and I cant pretend to know how it feels to be addicted, because I dont. And smoking around babies and children infuriates me because there is no excuse.

However, that being my stance on smoking, no, I dont feel there should be a test. Invasion of privacy.

We get a list of things to be tested for one being HIV! I have only ever been with my husband and he has only ever been with me, so there is no chance but I test anyway. I see it as the same. I'm not bothered but then I'm not a smoker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->