Smoking

E

expectingno2

Before I got pregnant with this one I smoked about a pack a day of cigarettes but I stopped when I found out.

With my first baby I kept smoking until I gave birth, simply because I had a couple of personal tragedies at that time and I just could not give up with all the stress going on.

Thing is, James was born at 41 weeks 3 days and was a bit above the average weight, which completely contradicts what they say about smokers having premature and underweight babies.

I would never consider going back to smoking while pregnant since I've given up now but it really makes me wonder if in the real world there really is that bad a risk.

Also, when my mum was pregnant with me she smoked too, but not that many, about half a pack a day and my father smoked around her (he smoked about 1.5-2 packs a day) and I was born at 40 weeks exactly and a good weight.

Both my parents still smoke and at 59 they are still very much alive.

My Husband still smokes but he goes out of the house to do it because of our 2 year old and the fact even when I smoked I did it outside to keep the house smelling fresher.

I don't mean to anger people with this thread but I would just like to hear your opinions on smoking and pregnancy.

I gave up when we started ttc, like many things in pregnancy I think that it 'may' not cause any problems but if it does they could be life altering for the child. Eg listeria; the chances of eating cheese with listeria is low, if you are unlucky enough to get it unlike many other germs listeriosis passes directly into the bloodstream and through the placenta into the baby. It is very hard to identify which my proclude it's detection and treatment is essential. Serious complications can the follow for both of you.
Basically what I'm saying is - do you take the risk? In my case I would rather KNOW that I had done everything I could to make this child healthy and then if there is a problem I won't blame my selfishness.
I have always believed that if you are going to be a good parent you will make certain sacrifices for your child, certainly purely selfish acts like smoking have never been an option for me my child's needs and well being must come above my own.

Edit: I have just re- read this and could apologise for being a bit preachy but I won't, I will just say this is my opinion based on my personality, please do not take offense if you disagree.

Just because some babies are fine, and some smokers are healthy, it doesn't mean I would put that risk on my baby. Because it IS a risk, smoking can cause lots of problems including cleft lips, asthma, decaying of the placenta... at the end of the day we have a choice and the baby doesn't.

I smoked before I got pregnant so I understand that it is hard to give up, but I think its our responsibility as a mother to not take unnecessary risks with our babies health.

Thank you for taking the time to write that, it was very insightful to see your views.

Luckily it wasn't too hard for me to give up smoking when I got pregnant this time because I had such bad morning sickness that if I even took a tiny bit too long a drag and sucked it into my lungs, when I coughed I'd throw up!!

I'm pretty sure I'll end up starting smoking again when the baby gets to about 4-5 months and I stop breastfeeding which is something a lot of people will probably hate me for but when it is just me getting the smoke, I'll risk it, but I won't if it is a baby too :)

Well done for quitting, I know it isn't easy. DH smokes and I am desperate for him to quit as I don't want to have to put all these rules on him like smoking overcoats, hand washes and 15 mins between cig and handling baby. But I will. X

Thank you for taking the time to write that, it was very insightful to see your views.

Luckily it wasn't too hard for me to give up smoking when I got pregnant this time because I had such bad morning sickness that if I even took a tiny bit too long a drag and sucked it into my lungs, when I coughed I'd throw up!!

I'm pretty sure I'll end up starting smoking again when the baby gets to about 4-5 months and I stop breastfeeding which is something a lot of people will probably hate me for but when it is just me getting the smoke, I'll risk it, but I won't if it is a baby too :)

Yeh when the babies older i'm not sure if i'll smoke again. I 'd like to think I have quit for good but who knows. my OH still smokes, it bugs me because I struggled to quit and he won't even try, but it effects the baby directly if I smoke, he can go outside and then wash and change his clothes. Men get the easy end of everything when it comes to kids! :dohh:

Yeah my husband smoking doesn't make it easy when I'm having a stressful day (I used to smoke more when I was stressed - it helped) and I actually couldn't resist grabbing his cigarette this morning when he was in the back smoking and having just one drag.

I know I shouldn't have and I completely regretted it as it just doubled the cravings but I just couldn't not do it.

If he would quit it would be much easier but then again, if he wants to I won't complain as he works really hard and if he wants to smoke to relieve the stress of the day, fine.

I'm not one of those people who are very health conscious and although I know smoking can kill, I've seen so many close friends and family smoke every day and live to their 70s and even 80s that I don't feel as guilty as some people about it.

It doesn't change the fact that I'd never smoke while pregnant (again) or around children though, I draw the line at that.

As for smoking in the cars, noooooooooooooo way!

My husband smokes in his "toy" (an old Jaguar convertible) but the kids never go in that so he can if he wants, I don't care.

smoking while pregnant shouldnt be taken so lightly! my cousin recently lost her baby(stillborn at 37 weeks) purely due to the fact that she was smoking while pregnant.Her placenta had calcified and baby was not recieving the nutrition she needed .She was born weighing 1.3 kg at 37 weeks!!she was warned continously throughhout her pregnancy about her smoking from her gynea and at 35 weeks baby was not wieghing what she should , doc wanted to leave her in there to gain some more weight as at that point there was no urgency of taking her out prem,but my cousin still continued to smoke!!!i dont get how people can act so ignorant about smoking and drinking while pregnant and then are so surpized when something happens to baby.i just dont get the mentality of it.

Yes there are many people who smoke while pregnant and there babies are fine, (well they seem fine now!)you playing russian rolette with your babies life and its the most selfish thing a person can do, i am an ex smoker so i know how hard it is but its not rocket science what needs to be done!

I just cant understand why !!

Drinking is another thing.

With my first I never drank at all but with this one I've had the occasional VERY SMALL glass of red wine.

At least with that though you can control it (unless you have an addiction), with smoking it is either on or off basically.

Even if your baby doesn't have any lasting complications from smoking (which can't always be found by just height/weight stats, nicotine affects the brain and smoking introduces your baby to carcinogens and gives them a higher risk of cancer), if you smoke during pregnancy your baby WILL be born addicted to nicotine... and how fair is that for the baby?

I am 100000% against smoking during pregnancy. Just don't do it.

Ohhhh this is such a tough subject - I was a smoker and gave up for the baby, but even after all these months I still crave cigarette! My OH smokes outside and I still love the smell, however I would never ever give in and smoke again 1. Because I couldn't face the guilt of the 'what ifs' I harm my baby and 2. I remember how hard it was giving up in the first place, I really struggled and don't think I could do it again!!!

Wanting number 2 - how long have you given up for now? And be careful with taking a pull because it will prob increase ur cravings, stay strong xx

I haven't read enough of the research myself but if you go by general medical consensus - smoking should be avoided during pregnancy because of the increased RISK for birth defects/long lasting issues, not necessarily a guarantee of it.

I've never smoked so it was easy for me not to during pregnancy. I could see how the temptation would definitely still be there if one were a smoker before pregnancy! It must be super hard.

I just wouldn't risk it. I would never want my baby being born to nicotine, being low birth weight, etc, because I couldn't control myself. It's easy for me to say cause I've never been a smoker. But those are some of the reasons I never started to begin with!

Ohhhh this is such a tough subject - I was a smoker and gave up for the baby, but even after all these months I still crave cigarette! My OH smokes outside and I still love the smell, however I would never ever give in and smoke again 1. Because I couldn't face the guilt of the 'what ifs' I harm my baby and 2. I remember how hard it was giving up in the first place, I really struggled and don't think I could do it again!!!

Wanting number 2 - how long have you given up for now? And be careful with taking a pull because it will prob increase ur cravings, stay strong xx
Yeah I know, as I said the cravings have doubled since I had that one drag.

One consolation is that one drag won't have harmed the baby, but it sure as hell has made my day tougher.

I never used nicotine patches or anything when I quit, I just used up my pack of Marlboro and never bought another.

Are nicotine patches safe during pregnancy? If so I may try some as that drag really has made me want cigarettes again!! Argh, I hate myself now.

There is an increased risk to baby if you smoke when pregnant.

Risk does not mean something will definitely happen, it means you are increasing the chances. So that is why some babies are born fine.

I have never been a smoker, so I wouldn't fully understand what it takes to give up and I take my hat off to people that manage it.

The world we are bringing these babies into are full of risks, but as mothers it is our job to reduce these risks as much as we can. In and outside the womb.

I would never consider going back to smoking while pregnant since I've given up now but it really makes me wonder if in the real world there really is that bad a risk.

The risk of premature birth and lower birth weights is one of many health risks associated with maternal smoking. The reason for this is that the chemicals in the cigarettes change the DNA of the foetus on an epigenetic level. A child may appear healthy but that doesn't mean anything. The problems from the mother's smoking may not appear until later childhood or even adulthood. Risk of getting numerous types of cancer, heart disease and stroke are all increased. In fact it's now proven that the DNA is changed so much that those changes can be passed on to the child's own children so a woman who smokes throughout pregnancy puts her grandchildren at higher risk of these disease, though that is more common in daughters rather than sons. Most possibly because the women develop their eggs in utero.

Yeah I know, as I said the cravings have doubled since I had that one drag.

One consolation is that one drag won't have harmed the baby, but it sure as hell has made my day tougher.

I never used nicotine patches or anything when I quit, I just used up my pack of Marlboro and never bought another.

Are nicotine patches safe during pregnancy? If so I may try some as that drag really has made me want cigarettes again!! Argh, I hate myself now.

Well I was prescribed nicotine patches to give up (I was a heavy smoker) - and they really did work, I kept them on for a while longer to avoid any temptations. I researched the effects of patches and apparently although they are not perfect to have during pregnancy they are safer than smoking. Basically you'll be getting the nicotine but none of the toxins. The only problem for you, IMO, is if you put a patch on you'll actually be feeding your nictonine intake. I think it might be better if you try cold turkey again, that way you just have to get this last drag out your system (should take about 24hrs).

That is true.

Although they say after a few months the cravings go away, for me anyway, THEY DON'T!

If I were to stay off the cigs for the rest of my life I would be craving them to some degree until I died, I know that for certain, which is why I may start smoking again when the baby gets a bit older and doesn't take anything from me that could be contaminated (i.e breast milk).

My dad quit smoking once when I was 15 because I got really upset about it when one of my friends dad died of lung cancer and right there and then he threw his pack in the bin and that was that, however after a few hours he started becoming very distant and snappy towards everybody, something we thought would pass so we kept on motivating him to stay off the cigs.

After a month of him not smoking one cigarette and still having the exact same withdrawal symptoms which were making life difficult for all of us, I told him just to start again if he wanted, and he did. After a few puffs of that first cig he was back to the usual loving dad we all knew and loved.

He still smokes to this day and will be 60 this November. He has had a heart bypass and a stent fitted this year but decided to keep smoking but start being more active which he has done, and the doctor actually said his heart is performing much better now even still smoking 2 packs a day and a cigar at night before bed.

What I'm trying to say is that giving up is great if you can and still be a happy person with no major cravings, but if you are going to be miserable then you are better off smoking and if your life is shorter, so be it, at least the life you have will be a happy one!

I stopped smoking when I thought that I was pregnant (turns out the same day I took a test and I was). I felt so bad that I had taken even a single puff on one cigarette that day. I was an occasional smoker - I couldn't imagine being a heavy smoker and still doing it throughout pregnancy.

My cousin Jayden who lives in Australia is permanently disabled because my aunt smoked 20 a day while she was pregnant with him. He can't walk and has learning disabilities. My older cousin (his sister) was born prematurely at 36 weeks weighing 3lbs 4 ounces. She had to stay on respiratory machines because her lungs didn't develop properly. So while someone might say "I smoked all throughout my pregnancies and my babies are fine", you have my family saying "my life is ruined (or was almost cut short) because my mum smoked".

Smoking isn't worth it. The risk is too great.

You are making me glad I've quit!

Not saying I'll not start again, but for the pregnancy, I'm not going back.

My personal opinion is that we would never cross the road blindfolded for the risk of getting hit by a truck so why inhale smoke which has a proven risk of causing cancer?

I used to smoke and to be quite honest it was a hospital stay for an unrelated heart condition which caused me to quit (i simply couldnt smoke my menthols, as much as i wanted they just seemed gross!) so i know i havent had to deal with the major psycological addiction. My dh is still smoking and i know he is struggling to quit before LO arrives but my attitude to smoke around the baby allows no compromise, its simply not acceptable to me, daddy or not, because the carciniogens aside it is the carbon monoxide which is linked to dangers in newborns and small babies (it binds to the red blood cells and prevents them carrying oxygen-this process cannot be reversed and the red blood cells are effectively useless, they stay in the blood stream until they are naturally removed and replaced, but they reduce the oxygen carrying ability of the blood)

Of course with everything it is a personal choice and its important in my opinion that all choices are informed, so if pregnant women choose to continue smoking they must do so knowing all the facts, for example i know i could have a few glasses of guiness in my pregnancy or eat some sashimi but i choose not to.

Also, to clarebare-i just want to say that what happened to your cousin is tragic and heartbreaking but i have to say that the calcification of the placenta can have multiple causes and in my opinion its not fair or correct for you to say that the tragic loss of her baby was down to smoking. (of course there is evidence for low birth weight babies and heavily smoking mothers and the point you made about being unable to understand the mentality i agree with) This forum and this thread should be used to voice opinions and support each other rather than scare-mongering and potentially making others feel guilty about the choices they make. Just my opinion not intended to offend/antagonise you. Hope you understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->