Smoking

I'm an ex smoker (gave up 2 years ago) and I wouldn't in a million years smoke whilst pregnant. I think it's disgusting.
I've refused to be around people that smoke as I don't even want to smoke passively.
I'd never smoke when pregnant, regardless of how stressed I was, nor would I smoke around a baby, toddler or child.

its a shame these threads always turn nasty these forums are supposed to be for support yet all there is is just judgement to the point where noone actually wants to discuss the real problems in case they are jumped on and judged for it we all know smokings bad the op was trying to resist having a fag because she knows this if she didnt she would be puffing away on 20 a day!

Its not turning nasty it's just a lot of women feel strongly about not smoking in pregnancy, and a lot of women feel the opposite way.

I fully think people that give up smoking whilst pregnant deserve a medal, it can't be easy to just stop cold turkey. So well done to them.

What I can't get or accept is people saying 'well my baby turned out fine' when so many babies DONT if there parent smokes. Why would midwifes and doctors constantly go on about all the risks and say it's one of the worst things you can do?

although people have said on this thread that they have smoked and thier babies turned out fine (including me) i personally said it because its just true but noone has said that its ok to smoke while pregnant or that it never would have any effects on anyones babies or that its ok or acceptable to smoke while pregnant so why people need to start giving lectures on how disgusting they are for doing it seems to be not only pointless but a bit mean when the op was just clearly having a mad craving and wanted some support to stay away from the fags at least while pregnant

my husband wears two hearing aids, as does his other brother because his mother smoked while pregnant and his dad smoked around her. without hearing aids he cant hear ANYTHING. he also has a heart problem. both things several doctors have told him are a direct result of his mother smoking. it infuriates me to no end. i cant stand her to begin with but knowing she caused it makes me so mad. she didn't ONCE try and quit when they were growing up. both his parents smoked in the house with windows closed. car windows closed... UGH. jsut typing this makes me mad!!! so sad.

It's a good thing I managed to get my cravings to calm down a bit because if I'd read some of the replies while still being on the verge of lighting up I would have.

Honestly, some people just do not understand.

although people have said on this thread that they have smoked and thier babies turned out fine (including me) i personally said it because its just true but noone has said that its ok to smoke while pregnant or that it never would have any effects on anyones babies or that its ok or acceptable to smoke while pregnant so why people need to start giving lectures on how disgusting they are for doing it seems to be not only pointless but a bit mean when the op was just clearly having a mad craving and wanted some support to stay away from the fags at least while pregnant

I know but for women who are thinking of caving in hearing 'well it didnt do my baby any harm etc' may not be the encouragement they need because if you think 'oh well one won't hurt' and end up getting hooked again all the hard works undone.

I would never say someones disgusting for smoking or that they are a bad person. I just personally don't get it. But that's because I've never smoked so I can't judge.

I think thats the thing. A lot of us don't understand, cos we don't smoke. BUT like I've said I admire anyone that gives up smoking when pregnant and I can understand the temptation.

I've given up alcohol completely and the amount of times I've craved wine, like an addiction, is crazy! But I knew if I had one I'd want more so just didn't want to go down that line.

I for one think its great that people give it up.

I know but for women who are thinking of caving in hearing 'well it didnt do my baby any harm etc' may not be the encouragement they need because if you think 'oh well one won't hurt' and end up getting hooked again all the hard works undone.

I would never say someones disgusting for smoking or that they are a bad person. I just personally don't get it. But that's because I've never smoked so I can't judge.

i can agree with that :flower:

My mum smoked with me when she was pregnant, she said she 'cut down' but I have no idea how much. Luckily I turned out fine, I don't know if times have changed since the 21 years since my mum was pg but I would never dream of smoking whilst pregnant. If anything went wrong I'd completely blame myself. The last time I smoked was the day I got my bfp, since then I havn't touched them at all and I don't plan on going back on them because I want to bf for at least a year (although even if bf doesn't work I still won't start again), plus the fact that the money I'll be saving can be better spent on nice things for LO. Not to mention the health benefits for not just me but the people around me.

Oh gave up about a week after I did and I'm so, so proud of him. He's found it a lot more difficult than I have and whereas I could stop cold turkey he needed help in the form of patches, and now he uses an e-cigarette. Hopefully eventually he'll be able to give that up too.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't start up again, that would be like undoing all your hard work to get to this point in the first place, and you've done so well to get this far:flower: It's completely your choice but I really recommend at least trying with patches or even an e-cigarette, they have worked wonders for my oh and I really didn't think he'd be able to give up as he has a really addictive and indulgent personality, I really can't express how happy I am that he's managed to do it. Another thing to consider is do you want your LO's to grow up thinking of smoking as the 'norm'? I really do think part of the reason I started smoking was because I grew up seeing my mum light up, I kind of had the mentality of "if my mum does it then it must be ok" kind of thing. That wasn't the only reason I started but I do think it was a contributing factor. At least if you can stop, then you can be safe in the knowledge that if they did ever smoke, it's not because they followed your example and gave them the impression it was ok, iykwim.

I hope I didn't come accross as preachy, that really wasn't my intention. Just wanted to give you a bit of advice, I know you've already made your decision to start smoking again eventually but please don't completely discount the idea of not starting up again:flower:

I have no idea if anyone's reads this one day or never. I have mental illness. This is my first pregnancy I wasn't sure from the start. Am 28 weeks am smoking they told me yesterday that my baby may no survives. It might get born on 30 weeks. My placenta is damaged but I might have a chance. I feel a terrible person.The only and I thought that keeps me sane is that if it's meant to be it ll be. I struggled my whole life with severe depression alcohol abuse that I am sober for years now and am proud for my effort but for this baby am so confused so overwhelmed am off my meds and I can't control anything. Maybe one woman in this world might understand what I feel. I love kids. My marriage was quick and for all right now I feel awful and confused. May God bless every human being who's struggling right now.

My mate smoked weed through out all 3 of her pregnancies one child lives with dad but is healthy the other two are fine her son who's 4 is the most chilled out kid I've ever met sleeps in till 8.30/9am bright funny little boy has a cough and his skin is dry but doing really well at school. Her daughter who's 13 is a typical teen no probs at all.

But my other friend who has a daughter was born with hydrocephalus and spina bifida smoked through out her pregnancy.

Me i don't smoke don't drink don't drink.tea or coffee. My son has autism and aspergers.......
I'm 31wks now all I have drank is the occasional can of coke, again no drink smoke tea and coffee let's see how my little lady turns out .

It's so frustrating that nobody can predict how the baby and after kid will turn out. Of course every doctor would say " stay away from toxic stuff " it makes sense. OK. I feel guilty and everyday seems like a century until my next appointment. I Suppose they ll say me that with surgery my baby has to come out and be hospitalized. Placenta is damaged. That's how they left me gone. That each day is dangerous. Oh and their eyes their criticism about cigarettes ( you selfish being you don't care about your baby). Everyday am thinking why the hell kept it? It was so soon after my alcohol sobriety win win but without supportive system mental illness and severe anxiety depression it wasn't a good idea. My husband whom I only know 2 years persisted. I was honest about my health my past my vulnerability. I don't know how to deal with all these. Surgery baby away everyday anxious if he's gonna make it. And after? ? The conservative society that puts the blame on mother and her mistakes.

1000000% against it. I don't think it's worth the risk, at all. I'd certainly never do it. However, I'm not a smoker so I guess that's easy for me to say. :shrug: I'd do anything for my babies, even if it meant cutting an addiction very suddenly and suffering myself. X

I always had trouble quitting just for me, although I wanted to, I would backslide.

When I became pregnant, I found it easy to quit for her. My worry is more about starting to smoke again after she is born. I hope I can stay strong, those damn things are very very addictive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->