Smoking

It's a great thing that you did and very commendable. It's so hard to not sound preachy when you talk about smoking to other women who are pregnant (I hate preachy people, I truly do). But sometimes you can't help it. I understand that for some women it is incredibly hard to quit and I sympathize with them because smoking is as addictive as crack.

Good on you and good luck with your pregnancy :)

Ive never smoked before in my life i think i might of tried it when drinking or something? if that even counts.. but i never got the taste for it like ever i was always turned off by it...

that being said my mom's a smoker (she apparently quit) when she was pregnant with me and my sister we are twins.

my dad used to smoke he got really sick and he went into the hospital and he had such a bad infection they had to ultrasound his heart and lungs and etc and it scared him so bad seeing his heart and lungs he actually never smoked again after seeing those images on the ultrasound screen, he hasnt smoked for about 8 years now.. im very very very proud of him!! he has never ever looked back.. he is totally aganist smoking and etc now!

My mom still smoke's which make's me sad, i wish she would quit.. it is unhealthy but everyone know's that... she "enjoys" it though.. because i asked her if she just "enjoys" it or would really wanna try and quit and she "enjoys" it ... must be some kind of stress reliever for her.. what ever..

My twin sister smokes too, i dont ever see my mom and sister quiting they told me once the baby is here they would try quiting..but i dont see that happening! lol

My parents house my mom has to smoke outside my dad will not let her smoke in the house or the car ... outside only.. and if he smells it on her when she comes in the house he bitches she stinks!

My sister smokes in her apartment which makes me sad because my boyfriend doesn't want the baby around smoking (and i dont blame him) specially somebody who smokes inside there house it is really smelly.. and just not good for you and we dont want our little girl smelling like ciggs! which is hard and i hope she understands me and my sister are SUPER close shes my twin sister so we have that bond!

I no some friends who smoked but cut down while they were preg and there babies turned out perfectly healthy.

https://smokefree.nhs.uk/smoking-and-pregnancy/

This is pretty informative. I honestly don't think the NHS would waste money campaigning and pushing not smoking so much if there was no affect. I just looked through it and it gets into babies blood stream, affects the placenta. It's well known that often babies are smaller or premature if the mother smokes.

I know 2 people who have lost there babies due to smoking related complications.

Myself and my brother were both born tiny to a smoking mother. Both at 40 weeks, I was 18.5" and 6lbs 1oz, my brother was 16.5" and 5lbs flat.

Not sure it was due to the smoking though.

My mum is 47 now and has recently developed asthma and emphysema.

@Expecting - I'm completely with you on the craving thing - like I said earlier I still crave cigarettes to this day, and I would love to smoke still (I'm sure people will thing I'm mad I know!) But I really couldn't do the giving up thing again and that's what keeps me away. I know myself too well and I know if I have one pull that would be me addicted again.

Just try and keep yourself occupied and the craving from your drag will pass! Just stay on BNB for some support in the mean time! X

I was a smoker all the way through my 1st pregnancy, my son was born 2 week late and 9lbs on the button, still 0 health issues with him and hes nearly 7!, My second pregnancy i gave up day dot and lost the pregnancy, imho its a luck of the draw, whatever will be will be but thats due to personal experiances and has no backup of any sort so im 100% not saying smoking is good during pregnancy, just that whatever will be will be

Ive never smoked before in my life i think i might of tried it when drinking or something? if that even counts.. but i never got the taste for it like ever i was always turned off by it...

that being said my mom's a smoker (she apparently quit) when she was pregnant with me and my sister we are twins.

my dad used to smoke he got really sick and he went into the hospital and he had such a bad infection they had to ultrasound his heart and lungs and etc and it scared him so bad seeing his heart and lungs he actually never smoked again after seeing those images on the ultrasound screen, he hasnt smoked for about 8 years now.. im very very very proud of him!! he has never ever looked back.. he is totally aganist smoking and etc now!

My mom still smoke's which make's me sad, i wish she would quit.. it is unhealthy but everyone know's that... she "enjoys" it though.. because i asked her if she just "enjoys" it or would really wanna try and quit and she "enjoys" it ... must be some kind of stress reliever for her.. what ever..

My twin sister smokes too, i dont ever see my mom and sister quiting they told me once the baby is here they would try quiting..but i dont see that happening! lol

My parents house my mom has to smoke outside my dad will not let her smoke in the house or the car ... outside only.. and if he smells it on her when she comes in the house he bitches she stinks!

My sister smokes in her apartment which makes me sad because my boyfriend doesn't want the baby around smoking (and i dont blame him) specially somebody who smokes inside there house it is really smelly.. and just not good for you and we dont want our little girl smelling like ciggs! which is hard and i hope she understands me and my sister are SUPER close shes my twin sister so we have that bond!

I no some friends who smoked but cut down while they were preg and there babies turned out perfectly healthy.
I understand why you want your mother to give up, but don't mock the fact that she enjoys it, because unless you have been a smoker you don't know what smoking feels like and how the addiction works.

Smoking is a very good stress reliever as well as being good for helping you think straight, I know it helped me when I was in a stressful situation to light up then suddenly everything was in line and I could think about what to do in an instant.

I can't imagine someone willingly smoking knowing their life will be shorter, and be ok with that :/

Anyways, i've always been a social smoker, well...i'd have a cig or 2 when i drink.

Last Dec, I had some problems at work that really stressed me out. I started smoking because of it.DH had gotten a box of cigars from a customer at work, so he did too.Then in March, we found out we were pregnant. I went from a whole 5 a day, to maybe one. After a couple weeks, I stopped. DH still continued.

After his box ran out, he was given another!! I couldn't stand the smell of the smoke on him.Would make me want to throw up!Then my sister passed away in June.I backslided from totally quitting, to having 1-3 a day.For me, second hand smell was worse than actually smoking.After a couple weeks, I stopped again. DH continued.

He even would buy a pack out of his paycheck, which would upset me and we'd argue. Bills are really tight. I'm the money manager in our home. So when he takes out $10 for cigs, it screws up something.He actually drove his truck with an expired registration because he did this 3 weeks in a row!

Then we talked, and told him that i would like him to stop before the baby comes. That it's not fair to her to even smell daddy smelling like an ashtray. Lets face it, washing...I can still smell it on him!

Well, he hadn't bought any in months,but would keep getting them from friends or coworkers! I could smell it on him when he came home from work. Well he'd keep insisting he'd quit by Oct.

Now he just started a new job. This is his second week. His new boss, is actually a really good friend of ours we hang out with all the time. Beginning of the week, he'd give dh one. Then he came home from work last wed, saying he told our friend he was gonna quit, and passed on the cig! I was impressed! Until that night, the bosses brother gave him one! Since Thursday of last week though, he hasn't had any. I would be able to smell anything on him if he did, no matter how much he washed.

It's not easy to quit, even if you've not been smoking long, or many at all.
I'm just proud and happy he's quitting for the baby!!

I understand why you want your mother to give up, but don't mock the fact that she enjoys it, because unless you have been a smoker you don't know what smoking feels like and how the addiction works.

Smoking is a very good stress reliever as well as being good for helping you think straight, I know it helped me when I was in a stressful situation to light up then suddenly everything was in line and I could think about what to do in an instant.

Dont get me wrong , i dont even say anything to her... you cant tell a smoker to quit like some one else said on here there's not much use to being pushy about getting some one to quit everyone has there own reasons.. ciggs are addicting i understand that and its not easy and i also understand that its not easy....

I'm just assuming its her stress reliever although, She doesnt live to much of a stressful life tho they have everything going for them selves, but that doesnt say a person cant stress ..

goodness i stress about crap that i don't even no why im stressing about some times LOL :p...

Im not even against smoking... i would just never do it.. like i never got the "urge" to wanna try and smoke!

Im also not one of those girls who sit there and think there perfect because i dont smoke either i frigging hate people like that!

@Expecting - I'm completely with you on the craving thing - like I said earlier I still crave cigarettes to this day, and I would love to smoke still (I'm sure people will thing I'm mad I know!) But I really couldn't do the giving up thing again and that's what keeps me away. I know myself too well and I know if I have one pull that would be me addicted again.

Just try and keep yourself occupied and the craving from your drag will pass! Just stay on BNB for some support in the mean time! X
Not mad at all, smoking is just something that I really enjoyed doing and since we've decided to just have two kids for now, once I have this one I know we won't have another for years so I will start smoking again once I finish breast feeding.

If we decide to have another in about 5-6 years down the line, I will quit again, it will be hard, maybe harder than this time, but I will do it because I just couldn't enjoy life with cravings all the time and no need for it.

At least now I can say to myself "you can get through the cravings because of the baby being inside you!" but when the baby is here and I finish breast feeding there will be no reason for me to stay off them.

Both my husband and I have well paid jobs so money isn't an issue so there really is no reason for me to stay off them when I've got nothing to harm but myself.

I'm sure some of you reading this are going red in the face by this point and screaming about how I'll kill myself but unless you have been a smoker and been addicted to it and enjoyed it, you don't understand, plain and simple.

Smoking full stop disgusts me, smoking whilst pregnant should be illegal and in my eyes is a form of child abuse. Its not even one generation of baby that will be affected. Baby girls are born with all their eggs so by smoking you are not just risking damage to your own child, you are potentially damaging your grandchildren too.

How much do you ladies pay for a pack of smoke's.. its like 12 bucks for one pack of smokes here... if you smoked a pack of day that's 84 dollars a week soo pricey here!

That's not actually how it works. The first time you smoke a cigarette it doesn't have those effects. It's not like marijuana or xanax, it doesn't interact with the GABA producers or receptors in a way that will relieve stress. However what does happen is that over time a neurological addiction occurs and the brain becomes stressed when the person doesn't smoke. Then when they have a cigarette they go back to feeling normal. It feels like stress relief because you are coming down from an artificially stressed state. But in reality all a smoker feels when they smoke is how non-smokers feel all the time.

So a non-smoker will knock it as they actually do know how it feels. It feels like every moment of every day. But for the smoker they only get that feeling of normality when they smoke, the rest of the time they are operating under increased stress.

Imo, it's just about the stupidest drug in the history of drugs. You pay money to change your brain chemistry to make you feel crap unless you are on the drug and then you feel the way that you started out. It's mind boggling. At least with marijuana, MDMA, LSD and even the more destructive drugs like heroin, meth and alcohol there is an immediate mind altering effect that the user experiences right from the first time they imbibe.

That's not actually how it works. The first time you smoke a cigarette it doesn't have those effects. It's not like marijuana or xanax, it doesn't interact with the GABA producers or receptors in a way that will relieve stress. However what does happen is that over time a neurological addiction occurs and the brain becomes stressed when the person doesn't smoke. Then when they have a cigarette they go back to feeling normal. It feels like stress relief because you are coming down from an artificially stressed state. But in reality all a smoker feels when they smoke is how non-smokers feel all the time.

So a non-smoker will knock it as they actually do know how it feels. It feels like every moment of every day. But for the smoker they only get that feeling of normality when they smoke, the rest of the time they are operating under increased stress.

Imo, it's just about the stupidest drug in the history of drugs. You pay money to change your brain chemistry to make you feel crap unless you are on the drug and then you feel the way that you started out. It's mind boggling. At least with marijuana, MDMA, LSD and even the more destructive drugs like heroin, meth and alcohol there is an immediate mind altering effect that the user experiences right from the first time they imbibe.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Except your post was worded far more succinctly!

I've got nothing to harm but myself

I don't really what to involve myself in this argument but couldn't help but disagree with this entirely. My grandmother died in her 50s from smoking related heart disease, it sent my grandfather into a spiral of depression and pain which was unbearable to watch. Never mind my mother losing her mum so young in life.

My grandfather passed several years later of lung cancer (also due to smoking) and I watched my mother sit at his bedside for 7days, 4 of which he was unconcious and slowly drowning in the fluid on his lungs, slowly dying herself with the pain of watching him.

Smoke if you will, it's your choice after all but please don't be naive as to think it doesn't hurt other people.

Here in the UK my regulars, Marlboro Reds (what my dad smokes, so I guess I just followed his habit) are just over £7 per King Size pack of 20 so considering I smoked about a pack a day it does work out quite expensive at £50 roughly per week.

My husband smokes roll ups so a bag of tobacco (Clan Mixture) costs about £10 but he gets about 80 cigarettes out of it so it works out MUCH cheaper than buying standard cigs.

He smokes about 35 per day so he buys three packs a week which works out at just over £30 so yeah, much cheaper!!

I don't really like the taste you get with roll ups over time though so I prefer Marlboros.

Smoking full stop disgusts me, smoking whilst pregnant should be illegal and in my eyes is a form of child abuse. Its not even one generation of baby that will be affected. Baby girls are born with all their eggs so by smoking you are not just risking damage to your own child, you are potentially damaging your grandchildren too.

Have to say I completely agree with this. My baby wasn't planned and unfortunately I smoked for a few weeks before I found out and then completely quit. It disgusts me to see pregnant women smoking. Can you imagine the uproar if you gave a baby a cigarette and lit it for them? It's no different just cause they're not born yet. Honestly I am extremely judgemental of people who would knowingly take the risk.

I also think smoking whilst pregnant is wrong and disgusting - which is exactly why I gave up straight away! However, I think the OP was needing a bit of support as she was struggling with her cravings. I know that I am not going to go back to smoking even after the baby however I do understand the cravings are still there and I think my biggest challenge will be when I can have a glass of wine again!!! I'm just hoping that after 9+ months ill be strong enough to resist!!! X

Mel- don't know why you deleted your post. I completely agreed with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->