Smoking

Mel- don't know why you deleted your post. I completely agreed with it!

I no, I felt sort of bad because i think it would of started some trouble... i do believe every single bit of what i posted but i have a feeling it would of heated things! lol

I gave up smoking when I found out I was pregnant, and it was really hard. I did have a sneaky few within the first 14 (ish) weeks but felt so guilty and worried afterwards that I put a stop to it once and for all. Certainly doesn't mean I don't crave them now because OMG I do! Just talking about it makes me want a drag :p I just really don't think it's worth the risk, because wether you like it or not, there are risks. I don't know about everyone else but I couldn't live myself if something happened to LO knowing that I could have been the cause of that. My OH still smokes (quitting at the end of the week apparently) but he smokes outside and tries to keep away from me as much as he can, as there are also risks attached to second hand smoke.

It is really hard, but you and baby will definitely benefit from it in the long run x

Sorry, that could have been worded better.

I know the risks but I am healthy and eat well so smoking is not so much of a risk (of course it is still a risk all the same) as long as you don't over do it (1 pack a day is all I've ever smoked) you are not as bad as a non-smoker who is obese and drinks three bottles of vodka a day to put in in perspective.

There are risks all around, I could get hit by a bus crossing the road tomorrow or aliens could come down and abduct me so if I want to smoke, that is just another risk in a whole load of them.

I'm not being naive as I do know there is a risk smoking kills and it has been proven but both my parents smoke and they will be 60 this year, my dads best friend (basically my uncle) is 60 and smokes Cafe Creme cigars every day, my aunt is 90 (91 next January) and smokes a pack a day and her only health issue is arthritis, and my father in law is 62 and smokes 40 a day roll ups without filter.

I am not condoning smoking nor am I glorifying it or trying to make non-smokers feel safe to start up what is a VERY ADDICTIVE habit. If you are a non smoker - BY ALL MEANS DO NOT SMOKE but if you are, don't feel so bad with all the people going on about all the negatives and if you want to and accept the risks, keep on smoking. If you are afraid of the risks, quit. Simple as that.

But for gods sake, if you are pregnant - DON'T SMOKE.

I hope I haven't offended anybody!!

Smoking is scientifically proven to harm babies. My midwife told me. My doctor told me. DO NOT SMOKE. Not anything at all.

So why take a risk?

I honestly understand smoking is an addiction, but if your not ready to give up completely then why start trying for a baby until you can kick the addiction?

I commend you for giving up while pregnant and while I also understand that it's your choice to start again if you want to when the baby is older I'd beg to differ that it won't affect them. I'm not even talking health wise here though.
My mum smoked all through my childhood and because of that we have a terrible relationship. I hated her smoking, would worry about her all the time (and also that I didn't want her to hug me because she smelt) but the main barrier I have to having a good relationship with her is that I never felt that she cared enough about me to stop. I understand it's addictive but she never even once tried, and that has severely affected me and my own self esteem. If my own mother didn't care enough to stop, then I clearly was worthless. Now obviously as an adult I know that's not true, but I still can't get past the resentment. I'm civil to her but that's it.
Now I'm not saying that this will be how your child feels in the future, my sister started smoking at 16 to get 'in' with my mum, & their relationship is fine although my sisters little boy begs her to stop too (she is now trying to quit)
I'm just saying how I felt & maybe your children won't care but if they express to you how unhappy they are with it, please don't disregard their feelings.
I would just seriously think twice about starting again now that you've done a lot of the hard work.
Good luck :flower:
xx

This is a really interesting thread and a brave one to start, but good on you for doing so. It's really interesting to read everyone's opinions.

Personally, I hate to see pregnant women smoking. I try not to judge, and would certainly never preach at anyone, but I can't look when someone's doing it. My friend has smoked throughout her pregnancy and has had a really rough time - water infections, terrible sickness (even still now in the 3rd tri) and recurrent colds/chest infections. Not saying thats all caused through smoking, but I don't understand how she can't face much more than a sip of tea sometimes, yet she can always face a fag.

I quit smoking years ago so I know how difficult it is, but have been a social smoker on and off for about three years. Had my last one the day before I found out I was pregnant and my initial reaction to the positive pregnancy test was "oh my, I need a cig" but resisted! Now, having gone this long without one, I'll never touch another one. My hubby always says "never say never" but nooooo way, I really mean this one.

Yeah I've done a lot of hard work but the cravings are constant and you don't know how tempting it is to grab one of my husbands cigarettes and light up right now.

I was actually close about 10 minutes ago.

I have the willpower (I hope!) to stay off until I've given birth and finished breast feeding, but after that I think I'll start again because having constant cravings for smoking is not nice and they haven't gone away in 7 months!

Why not try the patches / e cigarette once you finish breastfeeding. My sister says that they do take the edge off the cravings, & you never know it may get to a point where you're fine without them.
If it doesnt work then at least you tried & I hope it doesn't affect your relationship with your children :hugs:

My mum smoked (albeit a significantly less amount than usual) while pregnant with me. I was born 2 weeks late but was only 6lb.

After I was born both my parents smoked, though my dad quit when I was in my teens. Throughout my childhood I suffered with severe, recurrent middle ear infections which developed into glue ear. At 1 point I lost 90% of my hearing, had to have multiple operations to fit gromets and t tubes and to this day my hearing is still affected. I have been told that it is very highly likely that this is a direct result of being raised in a household where my parents smoked.

At school I had a rough time - kids thought I smelled bad, other parents looked down on my family and wouldn't invite me to play / allow their kids to our house and at secondary school everyone assumed I was a smoker because of how I smelled. It was only when I left home and would come back for visits that I realised how strong the smell of cigarettes on my hair and clothing must have been. And this was with my mum smoking outside - it does not stop the smell from entering the home and furnishings / clothing within it.

Smoking does have an effect on those around you and not just while you are pregnant. It devastates me that my mum is a heavy smoker and is incapable of giving up (she has tried several times). I worry constantly about her health and now that I'm expecting also worry about the effect that her smoking will have on the baby. I know that after we have been to visit and she has been holding the baby I'll want to wash the baby and their clothes as the smell really gets into everything.

I am well aware, from watching my mum try several times, that quitting is incredibly difficult and I highly commend every pregnant woman who quits smoking for the sake of their baby. But please understand even when you are not pregnant that being a smoker does have an impact on those who love you, whether it's health related from passive smoking, or an emotional effect such as affecting your relationship with others and how they feel about you and your smoking.

Good luck to all the ladies who have quit / are quitting. I hope you keep it up xxx

Patches really do work! And they are really good if you use them right I.e for the right length of time, right strength for you. It would be shame to ruin all your hard work of giving up to start again, especially if you have to give up again for any future pregnancys! Well done for resisting your hubbys fags, have you stayed away since your earlier pull?

I've never smoked 'properly' just the odd one here and there socially. But now Im craving one SO bad!! I don't understand why! Couldn't bring myself to do it though.

Patches really do work! And they are really good if you use them right I.e for the right length of time, right strength for you. It would be shame to ruin all your hard work of giving up to start again, especially if you have to give up again for any future pregnancys! Well done for resisting your hubbys fags, have you stayed away since your earlier pull?
So far yes, but the cravings are getting really bad since I had my curry for some reason.

It is like a balloon inside me that somebody is inflating. Everytime they blow into it I just need a cig MORE AND MORE!

I need the toilet but I don't want to go because that would mean walking past them and I'm really THAT close to cracking.

ive put a thread about this before im one of the shameful ones that has smoked in my pregnancies though i cut down in previous pregnancies i could never seem to fully stop i guess im lucky in that all my babies were born on time and all weighed between 7 and 8lb with no problems whatsoever my eldest is 12 and never been ill in her life and neither have my other two but this time i just couldnt handle the guilt anymore so i tried the ecigs and they have worked for me it still feels like im getting a fag so i been able to do it but omg id love a real fag i really really would and i totally understand the cravings i swear i crave them even more when im pregnant than any other time! x

Well I have still resisted but it is getting really bad.

I keep thinking "one wouldn't hurt" and right enough it wouldn't, but the many I'd end up smoking after that would.

ARGH!!!

I bet you that one would lead to one pack and before you know it ull be smoking again!!! You've come this far no point ruining it all now!

You're doing so well... Back away from the cigs :haha: in all honesty though it's mean of your oh to leave them lying around. Have a word with him about making sure he tries to support you by not rubbing your nose in it.
& try & find something to keep your mind & hands busy in the meantime? Maybe a new cake recipe? & then you can reward yourself by eating it when you're done :thumbup:

good luck though sweetie, you are doing sooooo well, we're all proud of you here :hugs:
x

My papa smoked all his life and died when he was 60 of a heart attack! is to many risk of smoking during pregnancy.....Low birth weight cleft palate, baby being still born etc... When I see a pregnancy woman smoke it makes me so disgusted! Your not only hurting yourself your hurting your unborn baby.... My husband quit when I got pregnant with Caylee and has been a non smoker for 3 years :)

Well my husband is home now so I got him to put them away and physically restrain me if I try and grab one :haha:

I've managed to ease it off a good deal by standing next to him as he smoked one, I feel so much better but I know it will come back again.

Hmm... Maybe I will do something like that!

I'm sorry but I totally disagree. It really upsets me when I see pregnant women smoking. Just because your baby was born a good weight and overdue doesn't mean damage wasn't dne. As for your parents still smoking and being alive, they're either very lucky, or (without being nasty) their luck will sooner or later run out! My dad wh is 72 and a smoker, was diagnosed with throat cancer at the beginning of january and had to have radiotherapy. He's still being treated and not out of the woods yet. And the doctor made it clear that the cancer was directly a result of his smoking. I think that if you as a smoker want to take a risk with your health, fine. But once your pregnant, you need to be more responsible and not risk an innocent baby's health. I can appriciate that its not easy to give up smoking but surely being pregnant should be a massive incentive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->