So frustrating!!!!

FEDup1981

Mam of two & two angels
Reaction score
Im tring to sit down with J - whos 4 - and do more writing. Get him to practise writing numbers and letters. But I find it so frustrating when he either chooses to mess about - or the letters are a mess - i just have no patience. Its like my mind can understand why he cant get it so quick (like 1st time!)

Today ive printed off letters with spaces next to them to copy the letter 4 times. But his attempts are poor - which is understandable, he's 4 - but i find it hard that he cant just look at a letter and copy it - even if it is messy.

Anyone got any advice how they help their child with stuff like this?

Well my youngest is now 6 so it wasnt long ago I was there
It is difficult!
It requires LOADS of paitience
What I Did is 2 letters every week
(which is what they do in school as well)
Have Him or her practice JUST those letters
Print off pages with the letter of the week and some pictures of things that start with that letter in it
Make it fun for him
Also try not to make him work at it for more than 30 minutes
Those are the things I was told by a preschool teacher to help
Good luck!

Thank u, thats great advice. Ive had him write the whole alphabet tonight!!!!

No wonder im so frustrated!!! I shall do that. I did ask him if he could think of things that the words started with. But ill see if i can find some pics.

As you practised new letters each week, did u refresh on the ones already learnt?

Yes!!
AT the begining of the week (we took a break on sat and sun)
We would go over last weeks letters
and then on friday we did a recap on what we have done so far.
after we got about half way thru the alphabet I put the letters we had done on index cards and put them in a lunch sac and my LO would pull one our say what it was the sound and then try to find something in the room that started with that letter and then write it
(upper and lower case)

Thanks, ill have a go, but i feel so overwhelmed by it all!! Glad im not a teacher with 30 of them to teach!!! :rofl:

LOL I am sure if you were you would work it out!
But its enough trying to teach the ones you have!

Aww hun he's only 4 and not all children have the co ordination to write very well :)
My son has always struggled .. he holds the pencil sooo hard his knuckles go white and he presses so hard its like he's trying to engrave stone.
Ive found working on posture, how to hold a pencil properly, and how to keep a looser grip (using play doe round the pencil) helped him relax in to writing and the actual formation of the letters progressed a heck of a lot quicker once he was more comfortable with the pencil.
Also the old fashioned dot to dot letters for them to go over is really helpful xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->