some good reads??

Stevensmummyx

Mum of 2 boys and one surprise bump
Reaction score
I'm looking for some good books to read, basically like any books so anyone recommend any? X

What genre(s) do you prefer? Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk are my favourite authors. Their novels are predominantly satire.

American Psycho and Less Than Zero are my favourites by BEE.

Invisible Monsters and Rant are my favourite by CP. (he also wrote 'Fight Club')

The Hunger Games. I'm a bit of a book snob and it is technically a 'young adult' book but my younger sister recommended it to me and it is amazing. So addictive though I've been up waaay past my bedtime reading it this past week!

What genre(s) do you prefer? Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk are my favourite authors. Their novels are predominantly satire.

Invisible Monsters and Rant are my favourite by CP. (he also wrote 'Fight Club')

LOL they are my two least favourite authors ever. I argue with my friend about this a lot!

I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Its really good.

LOL they are my two least favourite authors ever. I argue with my friend about this a lot!

No way! How come? :o

I'm not too fussed about genres I just lovee a good book that leaves me unable to go to bed until I finish them lol! X

Fluke by James Herbert is a brilliant book. So good, in fact, I named my dog after it :D

I'm currently reading, A Discovery of Witches, by Deborah Harkness. I'm not too far into it yet but so far, it's really good! :thumbup:

No way! How come? :o

I just find the style of writing really self-indulgent. All of Bret Easton Ellis' characters are spoiled fucked up rich white kids....which is basically him! And I hate CP's rambling, repetitive narrative style. I find it REALLY irritating. My friend is doing his dissertation on Bret Easton Ellis so he was not too pleased with my opinion :haha: I can totally see why both authors have such a huge fanbase, and I often like the actual plots I just can't stand the style in which they are written.

I also recommend World War Z. Best book I read last year!

I have just read:

"the last hand to hold mine" -Maggie O'Farrell

"call the midwife"_ Jennifer Worth

Just reading another by Jennifer Worth- "Shadows in the work house"

I just finished reading "The Burning" By Jane Casey.

Was brilliant, couldnt put it down from start to finish. Its about a serial killer, that kills then burns his victims! I loved it, and I wouldnt generally read crime stuff, but I was hooked.:thumbup:

Ordering the burning and discovery of witches tomorrow thanks ladies I'm sure these will all be in my library soon enough lol! X

I like crime/thriller type books and my faves are James Patterson & Linwood Barclay. :flower:

I like such a wide range of books and authors :rofl:

But atm it's James Patterson :thumbup: Read his newest one a couple of weeks ago it was really good!!

"The Heretic's Daughter"- Kathleen Kent
"Neverwhere"- Neil Gaiman
"The Poisonwood Bible"- Barbara Kingsolver
"The Autobiography of Henry VIII"- Margaret George
"American Gods"- Neil Gaiman
"I Love You Like a Tomato"- Marie Giordano (hard to find, but my favourite book ever!)
"Alas, Babylon"- Pat Frank
"Goodnight Nobody"- Jennifer Weiner
"'Tis: A Memoir"- Frank McCourt

That covers a few genres I think... I'll read almost anything. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe