Some statistics: When do eggs implant?

M

moxie08

I thought everyone would appreciate hearing some analysis from published research (sample: 136 women who became pregnant) into implantation times and HCG rates of increase during the first week post-implantation. Rather than post the science bits, I'll summarize a few key points. If you want more information please PM me. I have no affiliation with this research.

Implantation occurs for most of the women between 6 to 12 days after ovulation.

(1) Nearly all the women took at least 3 days before HCG levels were at a level that could be identified via an hpt. Many more took at least 6. Some of the women took up to two weeks!

The rate of increase (for the first week after implantation) varied considerably -- meaning that some were punctuated -- aka increased in jumps, some started slow and then rose quickly, and some increased evenly. This means you may see your lines slowly get darker or you may get lots of :bfn: and suddenly a :bfp: !!

Women who implanted earlier had HCG that increased faster than women who implanted later. This means that if you have been patiently seeing :bfn: throughout your TWW, you may need to be even more patient. ;-)

(2) Only 40% of the women implanted by 7 dpo. Considering what I mentioned in (1), this means only 40% of women know their :bfp: by 10 dpo!! This doesn't even include those of the 40% of the women who have slower or jumpier curves. So it's not hard to imagine that at 10 dpo, most pregnant women won't see a line yet.

Speaking of 10 dpo, only 68% of the women had implanted by that time. This increases to 90% by the day of expected menstruation, which still raises the point that those women still have 3-6 days before they get their :bfp: .

And just so those last 10% of the women aren't left out -- it won't be until 24 dpo until the last of them even start to see the kind of HCG levels required for a :bfp: !!! :-k

Time of implantation isn't an indicator of the final outcome, either, so those that see lines at 10dpo or earlier won't be sitting superior to those that have waited. Women who miscarried had a variety of implantation days and rates of HCG increase.

Here is an image from another similar piece of research which shows even more conservative times for implantation relative to ovulation. You are looking at several example lines from real women, plus a small table listing implantation by 'dpo' for all the women in the study. Each line/woman begins with the earliest possible detection of hcg -- tiny levels -- which doesn't necessarily mean day of implantation. But for the purposes of discussion we may as well assume it is that day.

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2452/3632764816_fe59bf2485_o.jpg

The green line means HCG levels high enough to be visible on the most sensitive of hpt (10 mIU/mL). By counting the dots on each woman's line, you can see it takes approximately 4 to 6 days post implantation to reach HCG levels high enough to test.

Happy to answer any questions, but keep in mind I am not a physician nor am I an expert, especially regarding your cycle!

Wow - That's amazing stuff! Thanks for that, Im hoping I might be in the later 10% though!!!

According to ff Im 19dpo today, but I think Im more 15dpo. (Take a look at my chart - it is a little confusing!)

:witch: hasn't turned up yet, and Ive not felt quite right for the last week or so. My (.)(.) and nipples are sore, and Ive had the feeling for the last week that the :witch: is about to show, but nothing yet. Thought I could see a very very faint line on a hpt yesterday, but that could well be an evap knowing my luck. Usual length of LP is 14days for me, but still nothing!

Any suggestions would be great!
:hug:

Thanks for the interesting read....very inspirational for those of us who are wondering where :witch: is.

oh, and 'bump'

Well hormones are crazy things! I would tend to agree with you, nnn84, that 15 dpo looks more likely -- in any case, the cervical mucus shows the best fertility window. Your temps do look like a nice gradual curve over the length of time. Imagine that as progesterone curves slightly proceeding it. This latest curve, plus your other symptoms, are positive indicators, but only time (ugh, I know) will tell if the progesterone (temperature) will stay up, as the result of a successful implantation.

I really hope so, though. =)

Moxie 08.......ru ready!!!!! lol...........I was due to ovulate between cd9 and cd13 approx (didnt get any ov pains though), then 8 days later I have what I thought was ov pains in the left side........was due my P on 7 June and 10 days later still nothing, have noticed an increase in discharge the last few days and today a slight pink discharge, but still no sign of the P......did 3 tests last week all NEG so have left it for 5 days..........whats your opinion on this...........could it be that Im in the % that seem to show up later or is my body just a mess and playing tricks on me!!!!! ARGHHHHHH lol

Lack of AF is always a positive sign, pasteljay. I think you are doing the right thing by waiting 5 days before testing again. If you know your cycle is erratic, you may consider regular BDing. The plus note is that there are chemicals in ejaculation that may help to bring on the :witch: if she was indeed waiting in the wings. This shouldn't lower your chances for pregnancy, though I did read some suggestions that proper female orgasms may expel the egg.

Please don't avoid orgasms on this account, though, as I've not ever read any evidence to support it! (And it seriously would be a travesty)

thank you for that information..thats very interesting to read.

Heres my question that have been on my mind the past couple days..if you cant answer it...thats ok but its worth a shot.

My question is...i know you dont start to get symptoms till after implantation but i have incredibly sore bbs. I dont know the exact day that i ovulated but i think it was around the 5th -maybe 6th (i can give you more details as to why i think this if you like. i was only going by cm, cramping and higher sex drive)

so for the past 2 or 3 days..my bbs soreness increased ALOT each day and this is very rare for me...especially on how sore they are. i have not caused them to bruise by touching them either so thats ruled out. Granted, i may not be pregnant and could be possibly something to do with hormonal changes in my body.
but lets just say for a minute that i am pregnant...would it be even possible that they would hurt this bad before even getting a faint line on a test? when you talk about getting a BFP...do you include even faint lines?

I did get one line on a test on saturday but then took a FRER test sunday and today and that showed neg. In regards to when my af is due...it could be anywhere from the 18th to the 22nd. Usually im 28 days but the past few months, they have rotated from being one month at 25 day cycle to the next being a 30 day cycle..the next being 25 and so on. last month it was a 25 day cycle.

sorry if it sounds confusing...any thoughts?

Interesting information! TY...

Has anyone ever had implantation bleeding experinece? Or know what it is supposed to be like?

Interesting information! TY...

Has anyone ever had implantation bleeding experinece? Or know what it is supposed to be like?

yes..i did with my last pregnancy. it was around the time of i was suppose to start af. it was just a tinge of bloody mucus...it was not bad at all and i believe it was the only the one time when i whipped. i know it can be different for others tho.

Very comprehensive summary and a very interesting read. Many thanks for posting hun. XX

Thanks hun interesting stuff there, i liked the read about the cm, where the cm is most fertile when mimicking the sperm fluid so sperm can live and reach the egg (hopefully!!) Its simple when you know its just getting the just of how our own body works and understanding i guess which i am learning or trying to :-k lol,

MsLesley i think its totally possible for your boobs to hurt so much this early on, if you thin a lot of women get sore boobs every mth due to there mth cycle and preparing to get pregnant so not suprising that they ARE sore when you are pregnant, are you sore most mths anyway? :hug:

MsLesley i think its totally possible for your boobs to hurt so much this early on, if you thin a lot of women get sore boobs every mth due to there mth cycle and preparing to get pregnant so not suprising that they ARE sore when you are pregnant, are you sore most mths anyway? :hug:

Thank you for your reply. No..im never sore before af..not even a little bit. i was a bit last month but i did touch them alot to see if they were so that could and probably have been the cause lol. but this month...i have not. they are extremely sore. i had to take a bath last night to get them to calm down a bit. 100% have not had sore boobs before AF since before becoming pregnant with my first child..9 years ago. I do have cramping as well but i also had this last month so im not using this as a "symptom" till or unless i get a positive on a hpt.

My question is...i know you dont start to get symptoms till after implantation but i have incredibly sore bbs.

but lets just say for a minute that i am pregnant...would it be even possible that they would hurt this bad before even getting a faint line on a test? when you talk about getting a BFP...do you include even faint lines?

MsLesley,

You definitely can have symptoms prior to implantation. Progesterone is produced and 'pulsed' out by the corpus luteum regardless of conception. Your level of progesterone may be related to all sorts of things and may vary from cycle to cycle. Extra progesterone may not be a bad thing, though, as that means the corpus luteum has a longer lifespan -- a longer window for the egg to get properly implanted in. Menstruation begins when the CL isn't 'rescued' by the hCG.

With regards to sore breasts, this is caused by several things -- progesterone causes cells to be more sensitive to estrogen. It's also possible you may have higher estrogen levels than normal this cycle. Breast cells are very sensitive to estrogen and undergo lots of changes during pregnancy (especially a first pregnancy) to prepare for breast-feeding.

None of this guarantees a successful implantation or pregnancy, but they are healthy signs on their own. If you have been TTC for a long time and are concerned about your estrogen or progesterone levels (too much estrogen can prevent proper implantation), your GP can do simple laboratory tests to check them.

--

With regards to a :bfp: , I mean a line that would be considered a 'positive' by the manufacturers of the test at the sensitivity level of 10 mIU/mL. The majority of tests are 20, 25, or even 50 mIU/mL, which would mean a faint line indeed!

Best of luck!

:hug:

thanks for summarizing that! great information!

thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->