Someone please tell me this is going to end soon!!!!

michelle82

Mum to Paris and Leo
Reaction score
Calling all reflux mums........how on earth have you or are you coping??

I honestly feel like i'm ready for a breakdown:cry:

Leo is 18 weeks tom, the last few weeks his reflux seems to have gotten worse than ever, he just pukes constantly.

Its got to the stage where we can't even leave the house, cause I can't keep him or me in dry clothes:cry:

We have tried everything, gaviscon, carobel, ranitidine and omeprazole. I even tried him on some solids this week, made no difference at all:shrug:

Hes also got a CMPI, so can't try staydown milk, which is prob about the only thing we've not tried.

We're back at the hosp on tues, have you ladies tried any other meds, that I could maybe trial??

Ive tried the lot.. Only thing that worked for me is adding 3 teaspoons of baby rice to a 7oz bottle of staydown :(

X

Which formula is he on? Is it a hypoallergenic one like Nutramigen AA or Neocate? Although Holly was never a puker, her silent reflux got loads better once she was switched to Nutramigen AA. She doesn't suffer at all with reflux now, I suppose she was almost 5 months when it started to improve. The doctor said that the reflux was caused by the CMPI. Have you seen the reflux support thread? There's a lot of advice over there. Also, Farie might see this thread - she knows loads about CMPI and reflux. Hope things get better for you soon x x

Hate to say this, but the only thing that got me through it was time. At 8 months it improved a lot, and went away at 11 months.

:hugs:

For me I take comfort that at least LO is 95% painfree (heavily medicated) so for us the continual puking is just a laundry issue, a bloody annoying one, but id rather have Nim going through 4-5 tops/outfits a day than deal with the old pain issues

For most babies it will reduce/end around the 6 month mark (although as Aliss said, some babies do have it for a little longer) but to cope you just have to make the best of it, I put LO in tops and trousers, as its easier to just change a top and have a huge 100cm x 100cm mussie on hand at all times. Huge big bibs are great, they don't contain all the puke but it helps.

Did you try Losec rather than generic omeprazol? The latter doesn't work at all for us, but her pain is managed by 20mg losec a day
Also you can try a thickener, it never worked for us but many people swear by it. Same with solids, my LO just pukes them back up.

If it was me I would ask about Losec (if LO is in pain with the chucking) and either Erythromycin (gentler) or Domperidone to try increased stomach emptying - although if LO is pain free I'd avoid that, as there is no point in medicating a baby just for vomit iykwim?

HTH

We didnt see much of an improvement until recently. Time is all that helped.

Which formula is he on? Is it a hypoallergenic one like Nutramigen AA or Neocate? Although Holly was never a puker, her silent reflux got loads better once she was switched to Nutramigen AA. She doesn't suffer at all with reflux now, I suppose she was almost 5 months when it started to improve. The doctor said that the reflux was caused by the CMPI. Have you seen the reflux support thread? There's a lot of advice over there. Also, Farie might see this thread - she knows loads about CMPI and reflux. Hope things get better for you soon x x

Hes on Aptamil pepti, we tried neocate, but it seemed to make him worse:shrug:

The funny thing is, he was improving and then all of a sudden things have got really bad again

Haven't seen the reflux support thread will have a look xx

Time helped us too...i really wish I had bought a wedge pillow when she had it...just for sleeping...to keep her a bit more upright

Hes on Aptamil pepti, we tried neocate, but it seemed to make him worse:shrug:

The funny thing is, he was improving and then all of a sudden things have got really bad again

Haven't seen the reflux support thread will have a look xx

Neocate might have made the puking worse because it's so thin. Some people use thickeners like carobel to help keep it down, although as the others said, sometimes that won't work either. There's practically nothing for them to be allergic to in Neocate, so it shouldn't really have made him worse. Holly was on Aptamil Pepti, but she was still bad on it as it still contains cow's milk (but heavily broken down). It takes a good month or so for them to totally settle on a formula. At first I thought the Nutramigen AA was making her worse, but after 4-5 weeks she totally settled on it. It takes ages to get the cow's milk out of their system. Hang on in there x x :hugs:

:hug:

As Sapphire said, Neocate makes the puking worse as its thin, Nim could power chuck for mtrs on it :lol: On EleCare shes a *little* better

If you're really struggling with the chucking try a thickener, also the CMPI cannot be to bad if LO is ok on Pepti, so I would think the puking is pure reflux rather than intolerance related iykwim?

Thanks for all your advice ladies, really appreciate it, was having a really bad week!

Reflux is so hard to cope with isn't it.....or maybe its just me ;)

We're back at the hosp tom, more than likely a waste of time! Don't know wether to try him on more meds? See what they say xx

It sucks!

Regarding meds, if LO is in pain and it's effecting feeding I'd say def ask for a re-try of Ranitadene or Losec. If LOs pain free then I'd say thickening is worth trying.

:hugs:

Thanks farie, we were at the hosp today, bit of a waste of time really. He did say we could re-try either omeprazole or ranitidine, think i'll see how he is over the next few days and if no improvement we'll try the meds again.

He also suggested a trial of nutramagin (think thats how u spell it) but again think we'll just see how it goes.

Hes also teething at the moment, which I think can flare the reflux up?

Thanks farie, we were at the hosp today, bit of a waste of time really. He did say we could re-try either omeprazole or ranitidine, think i'll see how he is over the next few days and if no improvement we'll try the meds again.

He also suggested a trial of nutramagin (think thats how u spell it) but again think we'll just see how it goes.

Hes also teething at the moment, which I think can flare the reflux up?

If the doc is suggesting you try Nutramigen AA, go for it (there's a few types of Nutramigen). It's much better than Aptamil Pepti and was the only thing that got rid of Holly's reflux. She doesn't even need ranitidine anymore. x x

If the doc is suggesting you try Nutramigen AA, go for it (there's a few types of Nutramigen). It's much better than Aptamil Pepti and was the only thing that got rid of Holly's reflux. She doesn't even need ranitidine anymore. x x[/QUOTE]

The only reason i've not gone for it (yet) is cause he was doing really well on the pepti, its only been the last few weeks hes been a nightmare :shrug:

Whats nutramigen like? heard its not the most palitable......can't be any worse than neocate tho:sick:

Hi... the only things that worked for us were.. ditching all the meds except Gaviscon in each bottle.... switching to Hipp Organic milk and 3 sessions of cranial Osteopathy. It changed everything for the better and very quickly too xx

Meeee toooo :( :(

i'm getting absolutely nowhere! Nobody is listening to me. I dont know what to do anymore.

x

Whats nutramigen like? heard its not the most palitable......can't be any worse than neocate tho:sick:

It's probably as bad as neocate. It makes me feel sick - it's kinda like liquid mashed potato. Holly didn't even notice the difference, but maybe she's weird!

I have heard that, but think Leo would drink anything, thats not a problem we've ever had with him!

What age was Holly when you changed her onto it?

Meeee toooo :( :(

i'm getting absolutely nowhere! Nobody is listening to me. I dont know what to do anymore.

x

I have to say that i've been quite lucky with my hv and gp they've been very supportive.

Is it just reflux your lo's got?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->