spd?

Roxie

Expecting #3
Reaction score
i had SPD with my last pregnancy,

i was aware i am likely to suffer with it again

but is it possible to have it already at 11+2 :dohh:

im in soo much pain already , struggling to even walk the dog around the fffing block :sad2::sad2::sad2:

anyone know of any exercises to strengthen the pelvis?
when i google it it comes up with pelvic floor muscles

I'm sorry to say I don't know what SPD is, but would it be possible for you to try yoga? People keep saying acupuncture worked wonders on them for a variety of things.

I had severe SPD with my last pregnancy and it terrifies me this time round that it'l be so bad it will be debilitating :(

Iv got an early referral in at my docs app to confirm my pregnancy as i mentioned it to GP that i was concerned. I'l hopefully get a pelvic brace and physio this time round as last time by the time id got to the top of the waiting list i had given birth!

I'm definitely no expert, but I think it is possible to get it this early. I was 'researching' because I had an ache going straight down both sides of my bottom, mostly at my right side, and it came up with a lot of info on this and PGP - some people said they had it almost immediately in a second/third/etc pregnancy after experiencing it in an earlier pregnancy. I've never been pregnant before and hoping my 'bum-ache' gets no worse, but who knows! :)

Hope you find something to ease your pain. I think I read things like keeping your knees together when turning, not sitting cross legged, separating your knees and legs all the way down with a pillow when sleeping on your side etc. - but I've read so much random stuff that I might have got that wrong lol :)

Also yes it is possible to get it this early...spd is the softening of the bones due to the hormones your body releases during pregnancy...

To allow for childbirth and growth. As soon as the pregnancy hormones are in your system its possible to feel ths effects. Especially as you have had it before.

My mum is a midwife and saw the signs of the spd before i knew what it was....but the 'system' didnt process it quick enough and i suffered! :(

Iv had physio when my daughter turned 3 as it still affects me quite badly.

Also look up the pregnancy sacroiliac belt.

:flower:

I was better when I rested and didn't walk around. Exercises seem like they would make it worse.

Hi

I am a physiotherapist. I have never treated someone with spd, but I have treated a pregnant woman with sacroiliac joint pain who got better as her pregnancy progressed. I would recommend trying a sacroiliac joint belt to see if the pain decreases... if it's something that is helpful the pain should decrease immediately with wearing it. Make sure you put it on right though... if it's not tightened and positioned correctly it will not help. If the belt helps, physiotherapy exercises to strengthen your deep core muscles like your transverse abdominis and pelvic floor muscles will help to hold the pelvis together as everything loosens up with the hormone changes. The woman I treated got to the point that she no longer needed to wear the belt at all as her pregnancy progressed thanks to the exercises. If the belt helps, you can wear it as much as you want under your clothes. It takes about 6 weeks for the exercises to work to feel a change in the pain. Hope this helps.

Hi

I am a physiotherapist. If the belt helps, physiotherapy exercises to strengthen your deep core muscles like your transverse abdominis and pelvic floor muscles will help to hold the pelvis together as everything loosens up with the hormone changes. The woman I treated got to the point that she no longer needed to wear the belt at all as her pregnancy progressed thanks to the exercises. If the belt helps, you can wear it as much as you want under your clothes. It takes about 6 weeks for the exercises to work to feel a change in the pain. Hope this helps.
Do you have some good suggestions for core/transverse muscle work? I've been studying diastisis recti and it seems that pregnant women shouldn't do hundreds (Pilates) or some of the normal core workouts? I am worried about losing transverse muscle tone, it creates bladder complications and it sounds like it's good for spd (which I'll have to read more about). Thx!

There are specific exercises to do for diastasis recti that are different than transverse abdominis (TA) exercises. Unfortunately it is really difficult to explain these exercises over the Internet... Which is why it's hard to find concrete information from googling. You will likely need to see someone to show you how to activate the TA as many of the exercises are subtle and you will need someone to make sure you are doing them correctly. A physio may even have an SIJ belt for you to try out. If you are having SIJ pain or SPD the exercises should be done with the belt on to start to make sure things are being held in the right position so that you strengthen in the right position. Hope that helps!

i googled sacroiliac joint pain and it donest sound like my symptoms but im glad to know that some of you think its possible to suffer aleady, i was concerned it was all in my head, but i will be mking an appt with my gp and see what they can do to help me

:flower:

No problem. In theory, I think the belt and exercises for SIJ pain may work for SPD too as the belt and same muscles are holding the pelvis together. With SPD the laxity is in the front of the pelvis, whereas SIJ pain the laxity is in the back. In theory, if something is holding the pelvis together (which the belt and the transverse abdominis (TA) would be) it should still work. If you can't find a medical solution through the doctor, I would give it a go.

I am 8+2 and about 2 weeks ago I must have had a surge of the hormone relaxin because I had severe hip pain coming from the SIJ for 2 days on 2 separate occasions where I could barely walk and pain that awoke me at night. I held my TA when I walked and that made the pain go away. I was also sleeping with a pillow between my legs when on my sides which helped a lot. Things seemed to level out though and I am not having pain right now. So it can definitely happen in early pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->