SSSSD leaving a child out-name wise

bassdesire

Reaction score
One if the names I really like for a boy is Simon. The Hebrew form is Shimon.

Anyways my second daughters name starts with S. Both me and my husband have names that start with S. so that would be 4 S names and one D for my first daughter.

Would this bother you? Like leaving one kid out?

I also like Asher and a few others.

Thanks!

I wouldn't even give this a second thought! Just explain it was a coincidence if asks but I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

I think I'd avoid it, in case it upset your DD. It might not, but on the other hand it might I know it's the sort of thing my younger brother would have gotten all upset about, wheras I can't imagine caring.

As a kid I was the only non-matching first initial in my family. Never gave it a thought. It's no big deal.

I dont think it would be leaving a kid out because you did not intentionally name the others with 'S' to spite her.

I'd say since she was your first and now everybody else has an S, she would feel left out, and it can't be "coincidence" if you're thinking about it now...

I'd say choose a different letter, but that's just me.

I just liked the name so much! And then recently started feelingike bad about it :/

I (personally) think it sounds so petty, its only a letter! If you love the name I'd go for it, if your DD asks I'd simply explain that you just chose names that you liked and they happened to start with an 'S' it really is a coincidence.

If anything I'd feel more special/unique if I was the only one in the family without an S name lol.

If you love the name I'd go for it (talk to dd first if you're worried) :thumbup:

love the fact that everyone thinks a child will NOT feel alienated and will buy a story about coincidence

as the member of my family with a different name I was massively aware that I didnt fit into my own family and yes it DID cause issues... being the oldest and having a different dad made it impossible to ever feel excepted as I was forever 'that early mistake' before they formed their 'perfect' family which I didn't match

I certainly would NOT force myself to come up with an S name if you'd prefer a name with a different letter. That would be compromising and you'd end up with what was to you a sub-standard name for the sake of a letter. Choose names you like and you want to give your child, don't choose them based on stuff like this.

love the fact that everyone thinks a child will NOT feel alienated and will buy a story about coincidence

as the member of my family with a different name I was massively aware that I didnt fit into my own family and yes it DID cause issues... being the oldest and having a different dad made it impossible to ever feel excepted as I was forever 'that early mistake' before they formed their 'perfect' family which I didn't match

This is a different situation. It had very little to do with the letters in your name. I'm sorry you felt left out but a parent's love is in no way overridden by a name, so assuming there's no such back story with the OP the child will be fine.

Id completely understand a child feeling a little left out because they had a different father to their siblings, that's fair enough but I 100% do not think that what the OP is asking can be compared in any way shape or form!

It's a LETTER and it is a coincidence that the names she likes / her and her OHs names all begin with S, her and her OH didnt chose their own names or purposely name their children S names, therefore it's totally a coincidence :/

Id completely understand a child feeling a little left out because they had a different father to their siblings, that's fair enough but I 100% do not think that what the OP is asking can be compared in any way shape or form!

It's a LETTER and it is a coincidence that the names she likes / her and her OHs names all begin with S, her and her OH didnt chose their own names or purposely name their children S names, therefore it's totally a coincidence :/

yes but as said before consciously continuing the theme is in no way coincidence - if you had 4 children called Martin, Sally, Susan and Dean you have 2 S names but it could be clear coincidence if you have Martin, Sally, Susan, Shaun it no longer looks like coincidence but like it was planned... I would automatically think the child was from a previous relationship as well - it wouldn't be a strange conclusion to jump to when one stands out from the pattern of the other as well as being older

there was a news report a while ago where 7 children of the same family all died in a horrible fire, first thing you think is 'thats horrible' the second thing you notice was 6 of the childrens names started with B and flowed well but the oldest ones name didn't - it looked so weird that it ended up being something talked about almost as much as the tragedy (turned out the oldest had a different dad so the 'theme' had come later)... it will be obvious, people will notice, your child will be self aware of that

yes but as said before consciously continuing the theme is in no way coincidence

No it's not, it's choosing a name she loves.

I'd be more offended if my mum had chosen a name she didn't like as much just because she wanted to create a pretty pattern with the string of first letters of our names. I'm an individual and I deserve better.

I think you'd have to be pretty thoughtless to talk about the letters in the kids' first names rather than the fact that they died. That's just freaking weird.

The coincidence is the fact that those are the names she likes, thats why it's a coincidence!

Like I said maybe she could tell dd which name she likes and see if shes bothered which tbf I do doubt but that may be because I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
OHs cousin has 4 Ks, 2 As & 1 L .. Nobody's ever batted an eyelid.

Anyway OP, I'd go with what you think :)

yes but as said before consciously continuing the theme is in no way coincidence

No it's not, it's choosing a name she loves.

I'd be more offended if my mum had chosen a name she didn't like as much just because she wanted to create a pretty pattern with the string of first letters of our names. I'm an individual and I deserve better.

I think you'd have to be pretty thoughtless to talk about the letters in the kids' first names rather than the fact that they died. That's just freaking weird.

nobody said it was talked about like that the opposite of what I said when I said the first though was 'how horrible'... i said talked about nearly as much :wacko:

dont come off all high and mighty like you 'wouldnt' of noticed

I agree with Varenne, I wouldn't of thought about their names either.

Imagine being called Sarah, meeting Steve and getting together then having a baby and liking the name Danielle, so they have Danielle and then get pregnant again and like the name Sam.. So they've got Danielle and Sam and get pregnant again and want the name Simon..

I can't see a problem, I can't understand what you think is bad.. 2 out of 3 have S names, its not like they've named 500 kids the same initials and one child has a completely odd name :shrug: unless I'm missing the point..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->