Stacey Solomon Smoking whilst pregnant

All sarcasm aside..yes, there should be a campaign to make unborn, viable foetuses legal entities, affording them the same rights as newborn babies.

Its atrocious that there isn't already.

Completely concur. The balance of rights needs to shift, there is currently too much emphasis placed on 'my right, my body', frankly when pregnant it is no longer 'me, me, me', when there is another life growing inside you, who if it could communicate would probably have far harsher things to say than some here have taken offence too.

All sarcasm aside..yes, there should be a campaign to make unborn, viable foetuses legal entities, affording them the same rights as newborn babies.

Completely concur. The balance of rights needs to shift, there is currently too much emphasis placed on 'my right, my body', frankly when pregnant it is no longer 'me, me, me', when there is another life growing inside you, who if it could communicate would probably have far harsher things to say than some here have taken offence too.

Totally agree. IT get complicated though doesnt. Like if a woman needs medical treatment in the 2nd/3rd tri. That 'may' be harmful to the baby, but will definitely harm the mother if she isnt treated. Then who would have more rights iyswim.
Yes obviously smoking/drinking/bungee jumping its clear that the right of the baby should overcome the right of the mother to do so. But what happens when we are looking at treating mum and threatening to harm baby, or not treating mum and risking her health

Totally agree. IT get complicated though doesnt. Like if a woman needs medical treatment in the 2nd/3rd tri. That 'may' be harmful to the baby, but will definitely harm the mother if she isnt treated. Then who would have more rights iyswim.
Yes obviously smoking/drinking/bungee jumping its clear that the right of the baby should overcome the right of the mother to do so. But what happens when we are looking at treating mum and threatening to harm baby, or not treating mum and risking her health

You are right where the mothers life is in danger her right to life should trump the unborn especially when other children rely on her. I understand that those with depression are taken off medication for the benefit of the baby and many more necessary medications are not routinely prescribed for this very reason but I do not see how smoking/drinking is 'necessary' in the sense of the aforementioned conditions, if anything those women often need prescriptions more and manage to stay without them for the benefit of the baby. I don't really care what ones drug of choice is but society should care where this choice is made to the detriment of those who have no voice. I think as a society we have become too preoccupied with rights but refuse to take responsibility for those rights.

Yeah I agree her right to life would take priority for the mere fact that her baby's existence depends on her being alive. x

I just sat here and read quite alot of this thread and now i feel like ive wasted 15 minutes of my life that i wont get back! It amazes me that someone's bad decision can make so many argue! All a bit pathetic and im entitled to my opinion too!! Wise up!!!

My best friend is 7 months pregnant and smokes and gets high and stays out all night. Poor poor baby :(

Stacey solomon has been stripped of her mum of the year award.

I just sat here and read quite alot of this thread and now i feel like ive wasted 15 minutes of my life that i wont get back! It amazes me that someone's bad decision can make so many argue! All a bit pathetic and im entitled to my opinion too!! Wise up!!!

With regard to the bit in bold, I think that is unfair thing to say..and insulting as well.

This is News and Debates, and this part of the forum was set aside specifically for people to discuss current issues and debate (not argue, DEBATE) them, regardless of whether they would directly impact our lives.

People's "BAD DECISIONS" make good topics for debate because we can all learn from them. Its not just smoking mothers who make these BAD DECISIONS, by blowing people up, terrorists make BAD DECISIONS. By invading and killing civilians, governments make BAD DECISIONS. By polluting the earth, humans make BAD DECISIONS. These are all issues that we have discussed on this forum and none of them are insignificant.

By saying "all a bit pathetic.....wise up"..you are implying that the people who responded are PATHETIC and DUMB? Right? (That's a rhetorical question because we all know that that is precisely what you are saying..your "right to an opinion" notwithstanding).

I do agree that you are entitled to an opinion, but your opinion is such that it seeks to prevent people from giving their own opinions because they will fear coming across as "pathetic and in need of a lesson in how to wise up".

I generally don't respond to posts like your because I feel by doing so, I lend them some legitimacy (the whole don't dignify with a response) but today I have to say something because it is UNFAIR, DISRESPECTFUL AND MEAN-SPIRITED to say someone is "PATHETIC AND DUMB" purely because they wanted to discuss an issue that appears trivial to you.

While I do not live in the UK, and I have never heard of this woman until today, I do have my own story about smoking. My mom started smoking when pregnant with me. I was only a 5 pound baby, with breathing problems. I have Multiple Sclerosis, which is strongly suggested by my neurologist was caused by my mothers heavy smoking and marijuana use while pregnant. M.S did now show until I was 24. My sister(father and step mother) died from SIDS when 6 months old. On her death statement it says that heavy smoking of cigarettes and marijuana attributed to her death. That is why it makes me sad to see pregnant women smoke.
Also, my husband would never allow me to smoke, (which I do not) because it is his child too, and should he not get an opinion on what happens to the baby?

Thats a good point how much of a say should fathers get in regards to their unborn children??? although it is the mother who carries the baby it would not exist without the fathers 'input' lol.

I think Staacey is only doing what plenty of other women up and down the country do so the treatment she received was a bit harsh imo she already knows full well what shes doing and was merely trying to do what she felt was best.

I think that's a really good point. I always said to my OH that it was my pregnancy and my labour so choices were mine to make, until it was a choice which would affect the baby (weird still calling Oli 'the baby' :lol:). I know for a fact that if I'd continued to smoke Nick would have been very angry and deeply upset.

I don't think women are ever in a more responsible position than when they are pregnant and men need to trust that we will nurture our babies as well as possible. Unfortunatey I have found that most women who continue to smoke when pregnant haven't looked into nearly enough of the options available to them to help them to stop. I know quitting is hard (I did it myself) but there is much help available that just isn't utilised by many. I know some do, and some still struggle, but with myths such as "it'll cause more stress" still floating around, it's quite easy for some women to just make assumptions based on them and continue without realising how essential it is for them to give up.

Re the father thing...when I was pregnant, things were always "my way".. I felt that it was me carrying her, so me making the choices, but there weren't any real "choices" to make as such, and both DH and I were generally in agreement on most things.

I do feel sorry for dads-to-be....Oh my goodness I would be livid if my wife was doing something dangerous to my child..they are so helpless in this situation.

Kerry Katona's stood up for Stacey Soloman by saying silk cut (the brand that she was smoking) "Aren't even real cigarettes" :dohh:

Is that like well its not all cocaine there some talc in it to :dohh:

Smoking while pregnant is harmful. We all know this. We all know eating unhealthy and not taking prenatal vitamins is unhealthy too. I do not agree with smoking while pregnant and I think you should do what you can to quit before TTC and if you get a surprise BFP quitting is best, but it is hard. Quitting smoking is very hard. I think disagreeing is one thing, but being harshly judgmental toward the subject doesn't do anything helpful. All we can do is offer help and support to those around us who may be trying to quit, but not to pressure and attack as it will usually just make matters worse.

I think all the stick she was getting would be fair IF she wasn't trying to stop. But she is so I don't think they have the right to be so harsh towards her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->