Stacey Solomon Smoking whilst pregnant

I am late to this thread and so apologise if this has been said somewhere and I missed it, but...

I wonder, if Stacey Solomon had been pictured falling out of a nightclub blind drunk or injecting heroin, anyone would still say 'it's her body, her baby, her choice'?

I do feel that she doesn't deserve such a hard time for it when plenty of other celebs and Mums aren't so berated about it, but as a adult women who choose to become pregnant, it is up to us to do our absolute best for our baby and I truly believe that many Mums continue to smoke in pregnancy because they think it won't happen to them, their baby will be fine.

Im against it too but I dont think smoking is comparable to injecting heroin or getting shitfaced. x

Why not? The potential outcomes in all cases are harm to the unborn baby. What makes one different to the other?

I just dont think its comparable. Shooting up surely has more of an impact on an unborn baby than smoking cigarettes. :shrug:

Im not saying Im right but thats my opinion on it.

(I personally dont understand how anyone could do either (or get pissed for that matter) but some people choose not to stop. I say choose because for me its as simple as that. You choose to stop or you choose to continue. Noone forces you to put a cigarette in your mouth and inhale. I still crave them regularly and stopping cold turkey wasnt easy (was horrible in fact) but my babys health is too important to me to act upon my cravings. x

I started smoking again November 2010, I smoked for 5 days and then got my bfp.
I felt horrible for smoking even tho i had no idea i was pregnant, Stopping that time was harder but I did it.
Now I still think god I could do with a fag when I've had certain things to deal with but thankfully I haven't been able to get my hands on them lol

The legality of smoking has much to do with it and social norms. To me anything that harms an innocent unborn is unacceptable.

I agree :thumbup: I also believe smoking would be completely illegal if the Government didn't make so much money from it.

& I'm sorry but giving up isn't THAT hard. If my Doctor suggested I continued smoking whilst pregnant then I would never accept her medical advice again! x

Why do grown up adults call for threads to be loacked? Surely adults are able to debate and discuss? Just because people disagree with each other does not mean that all threads like this need to be locked?

I know that I for one followed all guidelines and do all I can to make good choices. I constantly look at the choices I make and critcally reassess them. I know many, many other parents who do the same. I feel no differently about Stacey Soloman than I do anyone else smoking in pg. For me , it is not okay and never will be. Last time I looked I was entitled to have these opinions and as an adult wearing my big girl pants I stand by them.

Because its getting down right rude and offensive. :thumbup:

Then perhaps those on both sides who are being offensive need to get a grip. If you cannot take part in a discussion without being offensive when others disagree with you then I question if a forum is the right place for you. This happens over and over again. People don't like how a thread is going/ the fact people disagree and immediately call for it to be closed. Why do adults need someone to jump in all the time? It is akin to being in the playground.

I haven't been offensive at all, but found some comments, especially comparisons drawn with BF/FF and smoking, ridiculous and offensive. Its not a debate, its just going round in the same circles.

In reality though most debates on a forum, as opposed to face to face, will go round in circles. People come and go so the conversation does not flow the way it does when discussions happen orally. Some people will feel that smoking and BF/FF are a similar issue while others won't. Surely that is okay?

I still stand by what I said. If people find something said by another offensive then they should address that person directly. Discussions between adults should not have to be monitored and people should be able to conduct themselves without resorting to insults etc. I just cannot understand why, among adults, there is this constant need for someone else to come along and sort out disagreements.:shrug:

I've said it once. In one thread, because i felt that at the time, it was becoming ridiculous and offensive, yes its gone back round in a circle now, i'm sure it'll reach an offensive point again soon.
Fair enough that you feel it should be addressed directly. However you didn't address me directly and i made the comment that it should be locked...

I'm really not trying to be obtuse to be argumentative but I am not sure what you mean at the start of the post? I have publically said that I don't think that threads need to be locked because people disagree. I thought that more than one person had said it should be? I cannot quote when I am on my phone hence not a quoted reply but a reply saying that I don't think threads always need to be closed.

Why do grown up adults call for threads to be loacked? Surely adults are able to debate and discuss? Just because people disagree with each other does not mean that all threads like this need to be locked?

I know that I for one followed all guidelines and do all I can to make good choices. I constantly look at the choices I make and critcally reassess them. I know many, many other parents who do the same. I feel no differently about Stacey Soloman than I do anyone else smoking in pg. For me , it is not okay and never will be. Last time I looked I was entitled to have these opinions and as an adult wearing my big girl pants I stand by them.

Then perhaps those on both sides who are being offensive need to get a grip. If you cannot take part in a discussion without being offensive when others disagree with you then I question if a forum is the right place for you. This happens over and over again. People don't like how a thread is going/ the fact people disagree and immediately call for it to be closed. Why do adults need someone to jump in all the time? It is akin to being in the playground.

I haven't been offensive at all, but found some comments, especially comparisons drawn with BF/FF and smoking, ridiculous and offensive. Its not a debate, its just going round in the same circles.

In reality though most debates on a forum, as opposed to face to face, will go round in circles. People come and go so the conversation does not flow the way it does when discussions happen orally. Some people will feel that smoking and BF/FF are a similar issue while others won't. Surely that is okay?

I still stand by what I said. If people find something said by another offensive then they should address that person directly. Discussions between adults should not have to be monitored and people should be able to conduct themselves without resorting to insults etc. I just cannot understand why, among adults, there is this constant need for someone else to come along and sort out disagreements.:shrug:

I've said it once. In one thread, because i felt that at the time, it was becoming ridiculous and offensive, yes its gone back round in a circle now, i'm sure it'll reach an offensive point again soon.
Fair enough that you feel it should be addressed directly. However you didn't address me directly and i made the comment that it should be locked...

I'm really not trying to be obtuse to be argumentative but I am not sure what you mean at the start of the post? I have publically said that I don't think that threads need to be locked because people disagree. I thought that more than one person had said it should be? I cannot quote when I am on my phone hence not a quoted reply but a reply saying that I don't think threads always need to be closed.

Thats fine, it seemed directed at me because it came not long after my post. Obviously i was wrong :dohh:, sorry! I think, moving it to news and debates, in hindsight, is a better decision :thumbup:

I'm shocked that people want to defend her decision.

Yeah it is her body, but who is acting on behalf of her baby?
Yeah it is her choice - choice being the operative word. She has chosen to continue smoking knowing it is (not may be, but actually is) harming her child.

As for the whole "my doctor said quitting would cause more stress" - I thought it was now well known that is just a myth?

If you cannot kick a proven harmful habit you have no business having children. I wish the protection for the born extended to the unborn.

Be careful what you wish for. If this were to happen, all women with the potential of bearing a child would have constant monitoring with virtually no freedom. Although I do 100% agree that we should make harmful things like cigarette smoking illegal for all people, pregnant or not.

My doctor always said to cut down slowly and then eventually you will quit. he said quitting cold turkey will put your body into shock and stress. I quit and when I did i went through 4 weeks of really bad withdrawal. Quitting slowly is advised from a lot of doctors, but they all are different . If I did smoke when I was pregnant I would not be caught dead in public doing it, when I see women smoking I am mortified. I know it is really hard to quit and I give people a lot of credit for cutting down or quitting , but at least try that is all I am saying..XOOX

It is Emma, but it doesn't stop guilty Mums to be using it as an excuse :dohh:

My doctor always said to cut down slowly and then eventually you will quit. he said quitting cold turkey will put your body into shock and stress. I quit and when I did i went through 4 weeks of really bad withdrawal. Quitting slowly is advised from a lot of doctors, but they all are different . If I did smoke when I was pregnant I would not be caught dead in public doing it, when I see women smoking I am mortified. I know it is really hard to quit and I give people a lot of credit for cutting down or quitting , but at least try that is all I am saying..XOOX

I really don't think it will put your body into shock though I accept it will cause stress. But how does this pass on to the baby? Is it worse than the stress the baby has when a pregnant woman has a cigarette? Smoking denies the baby oxygen and so the heart has to pump so much more quickly to compensate for it. I doubt a mother's stress from quitting would compare. (I know you said this is what your doctor said so that's what I'm disagreeing with, not you. It just seems like a very old myth and it shocks me that it's still distributed)

Thats fine, it seemed directed at me because it came not long after my post. Obviously i was wrong :dohh:, sorry! I think, moving it to news and debates, in hindsight, is a better decision :thumbup:

No worries. Crappy wee screen and jumbo fingers don't mix well for quoting!

If you cannot kick a proven harmful habit you have no business having children. I wish the protection for the born extended to the unborn.

Be careful what you wish for. If this were to happen, all women with the potential of bearing a child would have constant monitoring with virtually no freedom. Although I do 100% agree that we should make harmful things like cigarette smoking illegal for all people, pregnant or not.

I was talking about legal (cigarettes) and illegal substances not foods. But I do welcome monitoring of those women who knowingly harm their children with smoking and the like.

There was a program last year with pregnant women which showed first hand the effects of smoking on the unborn and I recall one particular mother who continued to smoke because her mother and grandmother both smoked and they turned out 'fine'(clearly not) it is these and 'my doctor said so' that perpetuate these lies and continue to cause untold harm.

I was talking about legal (cigarettes) and illegal substances not foods. But I do welcome monitoring of those women who knowingly harm their children with smoking and the like.

There was a program last year with pregnant women which showed first hand the effects of smoking on the unborn and I recall one particular mother who continued to smoke because her mother and grandmother both smoked and they turned out 'fine'(clearly not) it is these and 'my doctor said so' that perpetuate these lies and continue to cause untold harm.

I wasn't talking about food either. I had the same substances in mind as you. I mean it's a nice thought in theory, but it's true that the only way it could actively be enforced would be to have constant monitoring of all women of child bearing age, even if it was limited to just enforcing no smoking and no illegal drugs. How else are you going to find these pregnant women? Some do it publicly, some admit it to their doctors, but many more hide behind closed doors and don't even get proper prenatal care. We'd all basically have to send urine or blood samples to our government once a month so they could keep track of who to monitor.

And you're right, the women on those programs are lying and it's not helping anything. Addicts tend to easily resort to lying to defend themselves when they feel cornered. I work with nurses who smoke in pregnancy, spouting that same "my mother smoked with me and I'm fine" saying. I've offended some of them by speaking with them, and a few won't even talk to me now because I spoke up. It's infuriating because they have been taught better, but they clearly are not ready to address their stress in a different way and take offense to anyone trying to offer factual information that goes against what they're doing. On our floor we're overworked and known for burning out and having to go on leave. So I can see why it happens, and unfortunately there is no easy solution. Our whole social structure needs to change, with better education and health care programs for stress and addictions.

I wasn't talking about food either. I had the same substances in mind as you. I mean it's a nice thought in theory, but it's true that the only way it could actively be enforced would be to have constant monitoring of all women of child bearing age, even if it was limited to just enforcing no smoking and no illegal drugs. How else are you going to find these pregnant women? Some do it publicly, some admit it to their doctors, but many more hide behind closed doors and don't even get proper prenatal care. We'd all basically have to send urine or blood samples to our government once a month so they could keep track of who to monitor.

And you're right, the women on those programs are lying and it's not helping anything. Addicts tend to easily resort to lying to defend themselves when they feel cornered. I work with nurses who smoke in pregnancy, spouting that same "my mother smoked with me and I'm fine" saying. I've offended some of them by speaking with them, and a few won't even talk to me now because I spoke up. It's infuriating because they have been taught better, but they clearly are not ready to address their stress in a different way and take offense to anyone trying to offer factual information that goes against what they're doing. On our floor we're overworked and known for burning out and having to go on leave. So I can see why it happens, and unfortunately there is no easy solution. Our whole social structure needs to change, with better education and health care programs for stress and addictions.

You are right and I too wouldn't like to see such system but in the cases where this has been admitted or noted following birth or HV visits more can be done to protect these children from the harmful effects especially when born. I read pages back women suffering ill health as a direct result of their parents actions.

This is entirely unacceptable to say, and I am taking extreme offense. Not because of your views on smoking, but because of your views on women. You are not God, you have no right to say who has business having children or not.

Dieting can fuck up your psyche.
Relgion, in some cases, can completely screw you up.
Being molested causes huge psychological issues and can create psychosomatic promblems.
Exercise addiciton can be learned through observation.
But notice how you wouldn't dare say anyone who has a bad body image, believes in God, was molested, or runs 20 miles a day has no right having kids.

I, for one, know plenty of non-smokers who should not have children, and many, many smokers who do just freakin fine.

This is entirely unacceptable to say, and I am taking extreme offense. Not because of your views on smoking, but because of your views on women. You are not God, you have no right to say who has business having children or not.

Dieting can fuck up your psyche.
Relgion, in some cases, can completely screw you up.
Being molested causes huge psychological issues and can create psychosomatic promblems.
Exercise addiciton can be learned through observation.
But notice how you wouldn't dare say anyone who has a bad body image, believes in God, was molested, or runs 20 miles a day has no right having kids.

I, for one, know plenty of non-smokers who should not have children, and many, many smokers who do just freakin fine.

This has nothing to do with women. The difference between your examples and my comment is simple, one is no longer just responsible for oneself but another innocent, vulnerable person.

Has nothing to do with women? Lol... ok then... Guess we aren't good for much else once we become baby vessels then.

Has nothing to do with women? Lol... ok then... Guess we aren't good for much else once we become baby vessels then.

We can still bake cookies (applesauce instead of butter, of course, because all that fat in there is definately abusive.) and let everyone else make all of our decisions for us! Don't want to worry our pretty little heads and maybe do something that would make us totally unfit to have children.

I really don't think it will put your body into shock though I accept it will cause stress. But how does this pass on to the baby? Is it worse than the stress the baby has when a pregnant woman has a cigarette? Smoking denies the baby oxygen and so the heart has to pump so much more quickly to compensate for it. I doubt a mother's stress from quitting would compare. (I know you said this is what your doctor said so that's what I'm disagreeing with, not you. It just seems like a very old myth and it shocks me that it's still distributed)

My body was definitely in shock, it was used to getting a supply of nicotine for 25 years plus and when you are stressed and are pregnant your baby is also stressed IMO. Your right that going through the withdrawl process or any thing else does not compare to the value of quitting for your unborn child, but let me tell you I was a mess. I was very sick and my body ached for 4 weeks and the doctor also told me it actually takes 12 weeks for nicotine to
leave your body completely.My body was in shock, when you take away something that has been a part of you for 25 years your body definitely reacts to it, so quitting slowly is better as your body will gradually get used to not having

the nicotine. I didn't do it that way I just stopped. But after the 4 weeks the aches and pains stopped and I was ok. I know most wont agree but I firmly believe when a mother is stressed their baby know it and feels it, that is JMO :flower::flower::flower:

All sarcasm aside..yes, there should be a campaign to make unborn, viable foetuses legal entities, affording them the same rights as newborn babies.

Its atrocious that there isn't already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->