Starting to wean - help needed

sheepy99

Reaction score
My little one has been happily eating baby rice for about a week now so I thought I'd try a little pureed carrot. Well I may as well have been putting poo in her mouth! The face she pulled, tried again and she started to gag. After a few tries I gave up as didn't wan't to push it so gave her some baby rice. She screwed her face up for that for the first couple of times but then remembered she liked it and ate it happily.

Do I try with carrot again tomorrow or do I try something new? Also if she doesn't like a food do I give her baby rice again or skip the solids that day? (She only eats about 1 portion)

Phoebe didn't like carrot the first time she tried it so we went back to baby rice for a few days and then tried a different veg. Personally now you have started weaning I wouldn't stop unless she is not interested.

We re-introduced carrot a few weeks later and she loved them.

You could try mixing the carrot in with some baby rice? And then gradually reduce the amount of baby rice each day until it's just carrot alone. I got that advice when i asked the same question and it worked a treat. I did the same with other veg aswell ie sweet potato, parsnips etc until she was happy with trying different tastes x

Isobel hates carrots!! Loves mashed banana, sweet potato, stewed apple and plums, we're trying broccoli and sweet potato tomorrow. I've given up on carrots for now, try them later.

Its hilarious isn't it, its almost like your feeding them poison. I tried carrots for about 3-4 days in a row and no luck, tried sweet potato, butternut squash and he hated them. In regards to fruit he loves apple and pear and hates peach. I thinks it just hit or miss with all babies, if they dont like it, dont push it and try something else and re-introduce it later. Or like someone else suggested try mixing carrot or whatever with the rice.. think i will try that too.

Ive tried plums, spinach, carrots, broccoli and banana and gradually used less baby rice and used the purees as they are. Touch wood no issues. He also loved those baby meals the dried boxes stuff that I also mixed purees in - they are a baby rice texture/base too.

Oh yes... the poo face - I remember that!

Definately try mixing it with baby rice then just reducing the amounts. Also have you tried sweet potato? Thats good mixed with carrot. Keep trying, it just takes ages for them to get used to the flavours and textures of different foods

Lol - Sam does this with potato... I was laughing because in the years to come this will be his most staple food!!! They are funny!!!

Tried her on plum and apple yesterday (I cheated and bought a pot) and she loved it! She definitely likes the sweet things, I'm gonna try more veg tomorrow.

Isobel hates her veg... doesn't like broccoli now either! Trying her on butternut squash today

Elliot makes that face when he eats food sometimes but it doesn't seem to be an indication of if he likes something or not!!!

We didn't start weaning til he was ready at nearly six months though and he can chose not to eat something if he doesn't want it. It's been found that babies will sometimes avoid foods that they're allergic to (with baby led weaning, not sure if it's the case for purees?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->