Starting University in September but now i'm pregnant!

C

Cupcakebabe

Has anyone else been through similar? Can it be done?

I have plenty of help and support and will be due around the beginning of December. I realise it will be hard (this is not my 1st baby). Childcare is also sorted, i am just more worried about what the uni will say? Will they take my place away? Say i can't start this year? Let me start and then make me take a year out? :nope:

My plan is to start University, stay right up until i am due, use the Christmas period to recover and then go right back. Uni is going to be 3 days per week and then i'd use another day to study there. I'd have 3 days at home then. I have it all worked out in my head but will the Uni allow this? Need some advice, i have not called them yet as its the Easter holidays.

I know i am keeping this baby, i had a MC in November so any other option is not an option for me. It may not have been planned but it is definitely wanted, i am in a long term (13 years) relationship with the father and he is supporting me. Its literally just the uni situation i need advice on, as i worked so hard for this and believe i can make this work.

The uni won't take your place away people get pregnant all the time it would be conpletely up you whst you wanted to do in the situation woth regards to university. Don't worry.

Oh and congratulations xxxx

Me. I found out I was pregnant August 2011, due April 2012. I started at uni in the October doing nursing. Continued up until 12 days before he was born. Spent the last 3 months doing 13 hour days at placement. They made me take a year out, but during this time I changed my mind about the course I was doing, so made a last minute application to the closest uni to me and started in September. I started with a 5 month old who didn't sleep at all so it was tough! Really tough, but now I'm nearly finished my first year before I was even due back from maternity. Inbox me if you want. It is possible!

If I was you I'd defer for a year and start next September when your baby will be 9 months old.

I think it'll be much more manageable for you. You could plan to have baby in December break but what if he/she came early or late, or if you had complications. Not trying to put you off but uni is very demanding and having a newborn baby is even more demanding! Going back to uni when your baby was days old would be extremely difficult.

I'm almost certain your uni would let you defer, you've got a very good reason! They can't just take your place away.

My friend deferred because she found out she was having a baby and it was also her second time deferring and then when she went she changed her mind on the course she wanted to do so unis can be very understanding x

I found out I was pregnant at uni and for many reasons decided to leave the course. One thing I didn't consider is that I was so ill with morning sickness that getting to class whilst pregnant was almost impossible. I was gonna start my Open University degree as soon as he was born but couldn't get the finance sorted so I started it when he was 9 months and am so glad I did. I'd take a year out if I were you, you'll never get this time back again. As for the uni, no, they won't make you give up your place.

If you have the option I would defer for a year but if nit it is doable. If its anything like my Uni they'll be really supportive of whatever you choose to do. I found out I was pregnant half way through my second year and had lo just 4 weeks before I started this year, my final year. Its very hard work but I keep to a similar schedule as you have planned and it works :) I have found I have to get all my work done at Uni though as I have no hope of doing it at home. Good luck with whatever you work out. It most definitely is possible :thumbup:

Thank you all.

My previous babies have been a couple of days late or a couple early, i could go with my plan but have to rethink if there are problems or the baby decides to come early.

I think i am really worried i will get forced to take a year out or defer when i am certain that is not what i want to do. I like a challenge. I did two OU modules when i was pregnant with my last baby and shortly after he was born, i had an essay due just after his birth and got that in in time. Obviously going to a brick uni will be different but i know i can do it. I'm stubborn and not one for giving up easy. lol

I suppose the next thing to do is speak with the uni, i am dreading it because i have a feeling they will not want me to start this year. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->