Sterilising?

OMG thank god this thread was started.... lol

But now I have a questions.... at my antenatal on Friday all 3 MW's stressed that milk must be added to water at 70 degrees and must only be boiled once... so when we are putting pre boiled water in the fridge how do we do that when the water is cooled???? ARGH!!!! xxx

My thoughts before the above class was sterlise, make up feed I need now, then fill the remaining sterlised bottles with the water, once cooled put in the fridge, then when ready take them out, add milk formula, shake and place on the bottle warmer? Or do I only add the formula once I have re heated the water?? Oh please help me.....

xx

So wonder what we do with pumped breast milk? I was planning on pumping some for the night DH is feeding so he just has to get out of fridge do the necessary heating and feed. Can we still do that?
Don't worry I just found out I can lol Phew

So wonder what we do with pumped breast milk? I was planning on pumping some for the night DH is feeding so he just has to get out of fridge do the necessary heating and feed. Can we still do that?

hmmmmm good question lol... i was going to do this if i could feed myself as i have prolactinoma and will have to express my excess milk cos i over produce milk, even when not pregnant or got a baby to feed lol..

i think it came from when everyone went through a phase of feeding room temp bottles and just left them on the side etc... then a baby got sick cos the milk went off so the food standards said right to eliminate anything going off we'll say make bottles up as you go along... but bottle don't stay sterilised once you take the top of steam one's...

oh noooo i'm all in a kerfuffle over this lol...:wacko::headspin:

hmmmmm good question lol... i was going to do this if i could feed myself as i have prolactinoma and will have to express my excess milk cos i over produce milk, even when not pregnant or got a baby to feed lol..

i think it came from when everyone went through a phase of feeding room temp bottles and just left them on the side etc... then a baby got sick cos the milk went off so the food standards said right to eliminate anything going off we'll say make bottles up as you go along... but bottle don't stay sterilised once you take the top of steam one's...

oh noooo i'm all in a kerfuffle over this lol...:wacko::headspin:

Found this site... https://transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/parented/Pump.htm So I guess what we plan is OK. I will still as the MW/HV anyway just in case :)

Yes you can still store expressed breastmilk:happydance::happydance::happydance:

For the bottlefeeding mums, read this....

https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/en/fe/page.asp?n1=1&n2=5&n3=27&n4=47

I sterilise my bottles, put the water in them and seal and then add powder as necessary. As already said, water must only be boiled once and must be freshly ran before boiling. I find this easy especially at night becuase all i do is unscrew the bottles, add formula and feed (Bella takes hers at room temp. as recommended by my HV) So easy!!

OMG thank god this thread was started.... lol

But now I have a questions.... at my antenatal on Friday all 3 MW's stressed that milk must be added to water at 70 degrees and must only be boiled once... so when we are putting pre boiled water in the fridge how do we do that when the water is cooled???? ARGH!!!! xxx

My thoughts before the above class was sterlise, make up feed I need now, then fill the remaining sterlised bottles with the water, once cooled put in the fridge, then when ready take them out, add milk formula, shake and place on the bottle warmer? Or do I only add the formula once I have re heated the water?? Oh please help me.....

xx

Good questions!! Im not sure myself either!

Warm the water 1st or the milk powder won't dissolve properly.

Goodness....I feel like I've confused everyone:blush:

Go ask your midwife:rofl:

just read you have to walk round with a bleeding flask if you go out,
it says add the water no more than 30 mins after the kettle has boiled....

it takes ten hours to get out the house anyway without stating that malarki as well.
everything contradicts, sounds a right farce to me...
there has to be an easier way.

please let me be able to breast feed lol

just read you have to walk round with a bleeding flask if you go out,
it says add the water no more than 30 mins after the kettle has boiled....

it takes ten hours to get out the house anyway without stating that malarki as well.
everything contradicts, sounds a right farce to me...
there has to be an easier way.

please let me be able to breast feed lol

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Curiouser and curiouser"

as Alice in Wonderland says:rofl:

I've always added it to room temp. water and its absolutely fine. Even the HV said that its ok so dunno. There is so much contradicting advice out there that its getting ridiculous. The way i see it is that freshly boiled water, sterile bottles and the right amount of scoops= success. Shoot me if i'm wrong!

I've always added it to room temp. water and its absolutely fine. Even the HV said that its ok so dunno. There is so much contradicting advice out there that its getting ridiculous. The way i see it is that freshly boiled water, sterile bottles and the right amount of scoops= success. Shoot me if i'm wrong!

thats right as long as you aint giving sour milk does it matter.
if you put powder into a bottle thats steaming it doesnt fall out the scoop properly and sticks to the rim of the bottle lol.

think i'll stick to making a few at a time storing in the fridge and warming as i need them jobs a good'n, if i go out i'll use a thermal pod to keep it cool.
when the midwife says anything i'll just nod in agreement and yerrrrr thats what i do lol :blush:....if she tells me an easier way then i'll go for it and try it, right or wrong my daughter is fine and i've never heard anyone child being ill another way.
x

a question.......... why warm the bottles up? my 2 have always had room temp bottles fed to em from birth.... theyre fine.... hospitals dont warm em up 4 u.. they just hand u the bottle and a teat n off u feed....

Well, thank you for posting all of this... Its one thing I thought I WAS quite secure about doing, now I'm totally confused. Luckily have an antenatal class on Sunday so I think I'll bamboozle a few more expectant mothers with this one haha

Wow i didn't realise how little I actually knew - thanks for all this info ladies x

I think I have just about got my head round it, apart from not knowing whether to keep the boiled water in the fridge or at room temp and how long for?!??!

Had a bash with the steriliser today... lol !!!

xx

I still dont understand any of this :| why doesnt my sterliser come with step by step proper understandable instructions.. would make it alot easier!!! Im confused about the whole water thing like you Donna ^^^^

seems like there are too many rules n regs out there miss jacey... was talking to mum last night and thinks are constantly changing... i was bottle fed n still here and mum used to make a day up in advance....

heads a shed... sure it will just come together and we will find our method xx

Ive just found some info in the net, its recomended that you fill the bottle up with cooled boiled water, seal it and it stays sterile for upto 24 hours.
I think a good way to go about would be on a rota basis. When your preparing one bottle (putting milk in ready to feed), put the water in another and seal it off, so its fresh, cool and ready for to be prepared for the next feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->