Sterilising?

OMG i am super confused. thank god i plan on breastfeeding. none of this steralising stuff hehe

I make the bottles up (enough for 24 hours) right after sterilizing them, and put them in the fridge. You'll find that the guidelines do vary from country to country

OMG i am super confused. thank god i plan on breastfeeding. none of this steralising stuff hehe

Ditto! I had no idea it was so complicated!

You'll still need to sterilise bottles if you plan to express milk for late feeds or for your OH to feed. And also dummies and suchlike will need sterilising too. I agree it is complicated though! I've got a steriliser and keep thinking that I should read the instructions at some point and try it out...

Ditto! I had no idea it was so complicated!

You'll still need to sterilise bottles if you plan to express milk for late feeds or for your OH to feed. And also dummies and suchlike will need sterilising too. I agree it is complicated though! I've got a steriliser and keep thinking that I should read the instructions at some point and try it out...

Yes I know, but once the bottle is sterilised and has the milk in you can just pop it in the fridge and keep it until you need it. None of this sterilising four bottles at once but only being able to get one out at a time and not make up the bottles in advance malarkey!

And we won't be using dummies.

Yes I know, but once the bottle is sterilised and has the milk in you can just pop it in the fridge and keep it until you need it. None of this sterilising four bottles at once but only being able to get one out at a time and not make up the bottles in advance malarkey!

And we won't be using dummies.

Afraid not babe...you're not supposed to make milk up in advance anymore. You have to do it fresh, immediately before use:dohh:

Sorry to put a spanner in the works babe:blush:

Afraid not babe...you're not supposed to make milk up in advance anymore. You have to do it fresh, immediately before use:dohh:

Really? Where have you seen that? Do you mean to quote me on breast milk? Because current guidelines say you can store breast milk in the fridge for several days:
https://www.thegoodbirth.co.uk/storing_and_using_expressed_milk
https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breastfeeding/pumpingexpressing/expressingbreastmilk/#8

Even Cow & Gate say I can store breast milk in the fridge!
https://www.cowandgate.co.uk/feedin...rticle/how_do_i_express_and_store_breast_milk

My mums always made bottles up and put them in the fridge, and caused no harm. So I will do the same. It's just a new rule they've brought out. What haven't they said 'No' too? They're adding more and more rules onto pregnancy each year goes by. No wonder I'm a paranoid wreck, lol. I was going to follow the rules and use them as I make them, but I'm not anymore. It wasn't a rule before, so I'll stick to the old way. :)

whats the difference in storing formula or breast milk. i don't understand it.
i kept formula in the fridge warmed it up wam bam, same with breast milk wam bam lol,
some people like room temp but i my daughter slept better slightly warmer.
hopefully i'll be able to breast feed but run risk of getting mastitis as i over produce.
think i'll stick with what i did before.

My mums always made bottles up and put them in the fridge, and caused no harm. So I will do the same. It's just a new rule they've brought out. What haven't they said 'No' too? They're adding more and more rules onto pregnancy each year goes by. No wonder I'm a paranoid wreck, lol. I was going to follow the rules and use them as I make them, but I'm not anymore. It wasn't a rule before, so I'll stick to the old way. :)

That's up to you, of course, but the reason that the "rules" are always changing is because research is ongoing and the more medical advances that are made the more we learn about what is and is not safe/safer.

I'm not convinced that all this sterilising is really that necessary myself, but if we all decided to ignore medical advances "doctors" would still be using leeches to cure everything!

I know that it's all down to research and that, but if it hasn't caused harm before, why change now. Alot of people will follow the new rule, but alot will still do it the old way. :)

Really? Where have you seen that? Do you mean to quote me on breast milk? Because current guidelines say you can store breast milk in the fridge for several days:
https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breastfeeding/pumpingexpressing/expressingbreastmilk/#8

https://www.cowandgate.co.uk/feedin...rticle/how_do_i_express_and_store_breast_milk

Ooooh, shite....I thought you meant formula. I'm sooooooooooooooooo sorry:blush:. Pregnancy brain:dohh::dohh:

Really sorry, yes you can store breastmilk....oh shite. I've just come home from my friends and thought I'd peep on here before bed.

:dohh:Sorry again:blush:

Well many babies have got sick and a couple have died over the years too. According to my midwife (who I saw today) one of the main reasons is that "some" people were making up formula with boiling water....leaving them on the kitchen side for hours to cool, then putting them in the fridge:dohh:by this time lots of nasty bacteria were growing and can make babies very poorly. Also many people carry or were carrying around bottles of warm milk for hours at a time....again, the results were very poorly babies:hissy:

It's not worth taking the risk in my opinion....people fed babies on watered down evaporated milk for years, I'm sure there were plenty of babies who were fine but lots died. Just coz they did that for years doesn't mean it was ok:dohh:

Im making my LO bottles up a few in advance (say 3), Im going to put cooled boiled water in my bottles, store in fridge then heat and add milk when they are due a feed :)

i didnt even know it had changed glad i come across this thread or id still be making 6 in advance from boiling water

Ooooh, shite....I thought you meant formula. I'm sooooooooooooooooo sorry:blush:. Pregnancy brain:dohh::dohh:

Really sorry, yes you can store breastmilk....oh shite. I've just come home from my friends and thought I'd peep on here before bed.

:dohh:Sorry again:blush:

That's OK hun, I thought you'd probably just got muddled. Don't worry :hug:

very interesting... when i asked my mw where it had all stemed from she said it was a few cases where people had bottles lying around going off and leaving them in bottle warmers, or on a radiator, as well as saving left over milk for the next feed, or cooling then warming up more than once.
if i have to make up every bottle for every feed one at a time. i'd check the temp but the guidelines say water should be left 1/2 hour but its not cool even then, then another, god knows how long to run under a tap to cool it lets say 10-15 mins, by then you have a screaming baby that'll be so worked up it won't feed anyway.
how do people cope?, bending the new rules i bet.
my guess is the making up bottles as you go along will change soon and they'll be telling us to go back to keeping bottles fresh made straight in the fridge and used within what ever the hours were before.
it werent that long ago when we were told to put babies on the front. all these guidlines are to cover manufacturers backs, thats why we have labels saying 'may contain nuts' on practically everything.

can you put the water in the bottles out those in the fridge and then put the powder in afterwards, and then warm the cool water up?

i was wondering if you use steam sterilisers, how do you keep bottles sterilised as once you take the top off they're exposed. hmmmm i use cold water anyway and i think i'm going to use readymade milk.

Im making my LO bottles up a few in advance (say 3), Im going to put cooled boiled water in my bottles, store in fridge then heat and add milk when they are due a feed :)

think thats what i'll do as well
x

All these posts about people leaving warm milk sitting around! Gah! It's a bit scary because this is not 'rules for babies' this is good practice in the food preparation in general. Things left warm for ages will grow bacteria at an accelerated rate. Things in the fridge will still grow bacteria but at a much much slower rate. Boiled things will be sterile until they are exposed to air and have cooled enough that they no longer kill any newly introduced bacteria. This is all why it's important that when things are reheated they are heated piping hot right through to kill any bacteria. The more bacteria, the higher the chances of food poisoning and the more severe the effects of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->