sterilizing....

kayjor04

Reaction score
when can i stop sterilizing bottles?? my mum told me 6 months is old enough to not have to do it anymore....?

i worked in a nursery n we sterilized eveyrhing if their underr 1 (plates, cutlery, bottles, teats etc...) and over 1 we jus kept their teats and dummies sterile, but thats in a nursery x

i believe for milk bottles its 12months and for other things 6months, however for us i will be sterilising everything until a year :) x

can anyone else not wait for this sterilizing stage to be through??
I have a microwave sterilizer so its not too much of a hassle... but i have dr.browns bottles.. for anyone who has them you know those little rubberish pieces? the valve thing? Haha i do those in boiling water cause i donnu if they're supposed to go in the microwaver sterilizer.... it'll be nice to never use bottles again hahaha.

i sterilise his bottles will do till 12 months dont steralise plates etc

i used to use the doc brown bottles changed it back to boots now he can burp himself

We sterilise his bottles and teats but not plates or spoons etc.

i have stopped steralising everything apart from bottles. I have the Dc Brown ones which are a royal pain in the butt to clean. I will stop doing the bottles at about 8 months but keep doing the teats. If i were using normal bottles i think i'd stop those at six months, but the fiddliness of the dcbrown ones means germs could be lurking.

i sterlize her bottles and teats and when she is having solids i will sterlize her spoons all up to 12months but not the plates. they put so much other stuff in there mouths at that age that i dont see the point in sterlizing plates aswel.

if you're doing the bottles why not plates spons etc too? Surely it should be all oir nothing?
I'm doing all....but hoping someone can convince me I can stop soon as it's all just such a pain!!

if you're doing the bottles why not plates spons etc too? Surely it should be all oir nothing?
I'm doing all....but hoping someone can convince me I can stop soon as it's all just such a pain!!

Its got something to do with germs breeding in milk.

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/formula/stopsterilisingbottlesexpert/

When can I stop sterilising my baby's bottles?

All babies are vulnerable to the germs that cause diarrhoea and vomiting, and so it is best to continue sterilising bottles and teats (and breast pump equipment) until your baby is one year old and has built up more resistance to bacteria generally. The recommended age for starting solids is now six months, and bowls, plates and spoons can generally be cleaned using your usual washing-up method from this age.

Cleaning your baby's bottles and teats in a dishwasher will not always heat them to the right temperature to kill off all known bugs, so it's generally still advisable to sterilise after washing. If you do want to rely on your dishwasher alone, it needs to be run on a hot programme at a minimum temperature of 80 degrees centigrade. The bottles then need be filled with feed straight away as the dishwasher will not leave them in a completely sterile condition.

It may seem pointless to sterilise feeding equipment when your baby is crawling around the floor and putting all sorts of things in his mouth, but the bugs that stick to milk curds can be dangerous. Your baby's immune system will grow stronger into the second year and he'll be able to combat infections more easily.

What's the point in sterillising bowls and spoons, they're just going to get bacteria on them anyway.

Its got something to do with germs breeding in milk.

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/formula/stopsterilisingbottlesexpert/

When can I stop sterilising my baby's bottles?

All babies are vulnerable to the germs that cause diarrhoea and vomiting, and so it is best to continue sterilising bottles and teats (and breast pump equipment) until your baby is one year old and has built up more resistance to bacteria generally. The recommended age for starting solids is now six months, and bowls, plates and spoons can generally be cleaned using your usual washing-up method from this age.

Cleaning your baby's bottles and teats in a dishwasher will not always heat them to the right temperature to kill off all known bugs, so it's generally still advisable to sterilise after washing. If you do want to rely on your dishwasher alone, it needs to be run on a hot programme at a minimum temperature of 80 degrees centigrade. The bottles then need be filled with feed straight away as the dishwasher will not leave them in a completely sterile condition.

It may seem pointless to sterilise feeding equipment when your baby is crawling around the floor and putting all sorts of things in his mouth, but the bugs that stick to milk curds can be dangerous. Your baby's immune system will grow stronger into the second year and he'll be able to combat infections more easily.

thanks!

i sterilise his bottles will do till 12 months dont steralise plates etc

i used to use the doc brown bottles changed it back to boots now he can burp himself

Boots? I dont think i've ever heard of this.. i'd love to chuck these dr.browns... they're soooo much work to clean... i have the little mini scrubber to get inside the valve... but it takes sooo much time!

What kind of bottles does everyone use??

Boots is a shop, they do own brand bottles that are really good. I am guessing they don't have it in Canada?

If your lo doesn't need the valve anymore, try just using the bottle without it. I agree they are a pain in the butt to clean!!!!

I stopped sterilising at 6 months and I never sterilised plates or cups. My HV suggested once a week from 6 months but I never got round to it and they've been right as rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->