Sticking Together Until We Are In Diapers Ourselves!

Jyllian- love the video and the comment back at your coworker! lol

Pam- so excited for you!!!! Post pics after!!

So I haven't done much research on bumper pads or anything yet.. What is their purpose? Just asking to know..

Tomorrow is my genetic testing/ultrasound ! Haven't seen the baby in weeks and I'm dying too!! I was spoiled last month seeing him/her a few times due to their twin being around. I miss getting to see the baby often! My nausea stopped a few days ago so I could really se the reassurance that everything is still ok!

:yipee: can't wait for more updates..... Are you going to find out your baby's gender with the genetic tests? I'm sure your LO is doing fine and growing healthily there.

Sounds like a great plan but I would be careful about too much sugar as matthew may move too much to get a clear picture.

Yip, that is why I'll keep it in my handbag when I go. If he needs help I'll have orange juice... if no luck then we go to the fudge :D Hopefully he won't need prodding and will only be too happy to share with us.

Love the video jyllian!!

Pam cannot wait for your scan. I'm only about a week behind you!

This will be our last scan and first since about 8 weeks so I'm ridiculously excited to see the LO. S/he must have had a huge growth spurt over the last few days because my bump is huge AND I've finally been feeling some unmistakable baby punches. Last night I even put my hand over baby and got a nice ole body slam so I did it again when DH was home and LO punched me so hard it scared the crap out of me and I started laughing hysterically. So dh put his hand on LO and he got a nice kick too. Not going to lie, they're so sudden and weird they kinda freak me out! It was the first time I'd felt it last night so I know I'm just getting used to it but it was a little "Alien" if you know what I mean.. :rofl:

I love baby movements :dance: Happy DH could feel it as well.

So if you go for your scan in a week how long are you making us wait for gender? :haha:

Cheryl isn't it amazing?!?! :happydance: My LO was SUPER active over the weekend and my OH was so excited he got to feel so much action.

A coworker of mine told me I looked like a pumpkin this morning (I'm wearing an orange shirt). I really don't think he was trying to be mean or insulting, just being silly. He's really skinny and drinks alcohol often so my reply was 'Don't be jealous. We both know no matter how much beer you drink you'll never get a gut like this bad boy right here', as I rubbed my belly :laugh2:

Nice come back! :rofl:

Aunt Flo finally came, a week late. How cruel of her to give me all the symptoms (which I'm still dealing with) and show up so late, distracting me from my weight loss goals and getting my hopes up for nothing. I don't even want to tell Lalo she came. He's been kissing my belly and referring to "the little princess" inside it.. :cry:

I'm sorry AF came, hopefully your new cycle holds more luck for you :hugs:

So I haven't done much research on bumper pads or anything yet.. What is their purpose? Just asking to know..

Tomorrow is my genetic testing/ultrasound ! Haven't seen the baby in weeks and I'm dying too!! I was spoiled last month seeing him/her a few times due to their twin being around. I miss getting to see the baby often! My nausea stopped a few days ago so I could really se the reassurance that everything is still ok!

I cannot wait for your updates :D

I'll def post pics. The scan is the afternoon at 16h00 and then we have immediate obligations after so not sure as to when I'll be able to post but def. Thursday.

AFM: As you might recall I decided to contact another agency in town and they want to see me ASAP as in tomorrow night after work to discuss salary and hours. It sounds like half day job which would be amazing after Matthew is here and hopefully the salary will be great. They WANT me and it wasn't an advertised position so no-one else I have to compete with etc.

Please pray and keep fx for me that the salary is good so that if I do go I at least get the same or if it is half day I dont have to cut too much on my salary.

Even though my boss and I have "cleared the air" I don't want to stay there anymore at all. We have been through "air clearing" 3 times already and she always falls back into the same habits. There is a saying "never push a loyal person beyond the point where they no longer care"
My boss has pushed me beyond that point so I don't care for them anymore and the sooner I can be rid of them the better for me.

First off, good luck tomorrow and enjoy seeing the tiny person! It's quite a shock coming from seeing them all the time to once or twice the rest of the pregnancy.

The purpose of bumper pads is to keep baby from hitting themselves on the bars and to keep limbs from getting stuck between the bars. The aap recommends against them saying that they can cause sids, limp entrapment and possible suffocation. It sounds terrifying when you hear that BUT the cause for sids is completely unknown. I personally don't feel that a cushion up against the bars in a crib are enough to cause a child to stop breathing. The theory is that the pads restrict fresh air flow. I don't think it is any more restricting than a crib with 3 solid sides, and by simply turning on a ceiling fan or placing a fan in the room to move air should remove that risk. Additionally a newborn baby really doesn't move when they sleep. They physically aren't strong enough to roll into the pad where they could get stuck. Now as far as limb entrapment and suffocation, they site 27 cases from 1985-2005 as "evidence"that they aren't safe. What the study fails to mention is that there were other unsafe factors in a lot of those cases such as improper use of the bumper pad and blankets/toys/pillows being in the crib. 27 children seems like a lot, and it is tragic that something happened to them, but again look at the statistic.....its a little more than one child a year over a 20 year span. More children die from toy related incidents than they do from a bumper pad, that cannot solely be ruled as the reason for their death. Lastly, people are cautioned against them because they say children can use them as a stepping stool to get out of the crib. I have seen TONS of kids climb out of cribs.....bumper pads or not. If they want out, they will figure out a way. If you make sure the crib matress is at the proper height, it will be less likely that the kids will be able to actually get out of the crib at all.

Now in our instance: Luke will actually be in the pack n play bassinet for at least a little while. And probably won't be in the crib until after the risk of sids has passed. In the rare occasion he is in the crib, we will have a small fan blowing to circulate air. Additionally, I have created safeguards to ensure that the pads themselves are safe. They actually tuck under the matress so he can't get stuck under it and have very small elastic ties that he won't be able to get anything more than a finger under. And if he happens to get something stuck in the tie, it's a snap so the one tie will just unsnap.

Love the video jyllian!!

Pam cannot wait for your scan. I'm only about a week behind you!

This will be our last scan and first since about 8 weeks so I'm ridiculously excited to see the LO. S/he must have had a huge growth spurt over the last few days because my bump is huge AND I've finally been feeling some unmistakable baby punches. Last night I even put my hand over baby and got a nice ole body slam so I did it again when DH was home and LO punched me so hard it scared the crap out of me and I started laughing hysterically. So dh put his hand on LO and he got a nice kick too. Not going to lie, they're so sudden and weird they kinda freak me out! It was the first time I'd felt it last night so I know I'm just getting used to it but it was a little "Alien" if you know what I mean.. :rofl:

I saw this onnfacebook last night and was so excited for you I was telling Ronny about it lol. There are still times when I haven't felt Luke moving for a bit and all of a sudden he'll make a giant movement and scare the day lights out of me. It's awesome and amazing and terrifying all at the same time. Just wait until you have little hands exploring your ribs and little feet kicking you in the other side. Freaky!!

My DS2 was great about the "Alien" kicks, especially when I'd try to lay down to sleep at night. He was a Walmart/waffle house baby. They were the only places open at 3am where I could safely walk out the discomfort in the a/c. lol

Aunt Flo finally came, a week late. How cruel of her to give me all the symptoms (which I'm still dealing with) and show up so late, distracting me from my weight loss goals and getting my hopes up for nothing. I don't even want to tell Lalo she came. He's been kissing my belly and referring to "the little princess" inside it.. :cry:

I'm sorry.

Sorry for the long post above, just wanting to get both sides of bumper pads out there.

In other news: we hit the double digit countdown today and I freaked out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1
:wohoo: double digits are AWESOME!!!! If you are freaking out now imagine how you'll feel when you get single digit weeks till birht :dance:

Sorry for the long post above, just wanting to get both sides of bumper pads out there.

It's not SIDS you have to worry about with bumper pads. It's that if they roll (my daughter almost rolled right off the couch when she was 6 days old) and their face gets stuck in there - it's suffocation. Not because they can't breathe either cause they can - it's the fact that they're breathing in the air they've just released. Which is carbon monoxide. Poisonous to anyone in the right amount.

Whoah, how did i miss that!!!! :yipee: 3 digit countdown was so long wasn't it??? 2 digits will be fast, what more when we're at single digit countdown.... :D

It's not SIDS you have to worry about with bumper pads. It's that if they roll (my daughter almost rolled right off the couch when she was 6 days old) and their face gets stuck in there - it's suffocation. Not because they can't breathe either cause they can - it's the fact that they're breathing in the air they've just released. Which is carbon monoxide. Poisonous to anyone in the right amount.

In my post I cited the aap and they specifically state risk of sids. The use or lack there of in using bumper pads is a highly debatable topic and everyone is going to have their opinion on the matter, just as every other parenting decision out there......cloth vs. disposable, breast vs. bottle fed, circumsicion or not, co sleep vs. solo sleep, coddle or cry it out...... There is no right or wrong, only what you feel is best for your child.

We will be using bumper pads, but baby won't even be in the crib for at least a few months and then we will monitor him and see if we will continue with the bumper pads or not. It is mine and my husbands decision and we both agree.

In my post I cited the aap and they specifically state risk of sids. The use or lack there of in using bumper pads is a highly debatable topic and everyone is going to have their opinion on the matter, just as every other parenting decision out there......cloth vs. disposable, breast vs. bottle fed, circumsicion or not, co sleep vs. solo sleep, coddle or cry it out...... There is no right or wrong, only what you feel is best for your child.

We will be using bumper pads, but baby won't even be in the crib for at least a few months and then we will monitor him and see if we will continue with the bumper pads or not. It is mine and my husbands decision and we both agree.

I didn't say you shouldn't use them - I was just giving you more information as to the REAL reason they're unsafe. It has nothing to do with SIDS. SIDS doesn't have a known cause yet. Bumpers create a suffocation risk. Thus the argument over it being a SIDS risk is incorrect.

Wow. My bad Jess. I wasn't suggesting that you should lean either way with them and of course any decision you and your husband make for your child is your decision. Just as I've decided not to use them. We aren't all as experienced or researched so I just wanted to FYI as it was news to me and may be for other women.

Pamela I'm not sure HOW exactly we are going to go about announcing gender, time-wise :shrug: I was actually thinking about it today. My OH is going to want to blab it to everyone as ASAP so I'm thinking we possibly may need to prepare a reveal both ways in advance, depending on how we decide to do it, so him and I can share with close family first and then post away on social media. He says he wants to share the surprise news with close family in person, however, so hoping he can keep his mouth shut until next Monday evening when we can get the reveal together and presented to our families. He had mentioned something about putting either pink or blue socks in the little Nike Air Jordan infant shoes we used for the initial pregnancy surprise to reveal the gender. I'd like to do a photo or video reveal for the public which shouldn't take long to throw together. I'd say if everything goes smoothly you will know by late that evening...

I used bumper pads with both my children and had no issues. I'm like Jess and will be using the pack-n-play as a bassinet for a little while before transitioning to crib.

I think you're right Jess, everyone is going to have their own opinion and reasoning. Thanks for all the info!! :)

Congrats on 99 days left!!!!

Jennuh and Jess are right... We all need all the info we could get. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion and i'm sure no one wants to tell someone how to raise or care for their newborns. It's just a matter of how parents or soon-to-be-parents take take that information. Spreading <3 in this thread. :D

Im getting really excited about your gender scan Jyllian and the gender reveal as well. I'm sure you'll come up with a perfect one for you both.... :dance:

Wait so when is your scan jyllian? Monday? Can't wait to find out your baby's gender!!! Then Cheryl will be next !!! and then me (if I don't find out from the 3D scan earlier)..!!!!

Jamie, you're having a genetic test right? I thought they'll be able to tell but not after the results are back. :wohoo: more gender reveal coming up in a few days/weeks.... So excited for you all....

Wow. My bad Jess. I wasn't suggesting that you should lean either way with them and of course any decision you and your husband make for your child is your decision. Just as I've decided not to use them. We aren't all as experienced or researched so I just wanted to FYI as it was news to me and may be for other women.

I wasn't saying you were, and I truly appreciate the information that you gave. A lot of women aren't aware of the controversy over them and aren't aware of the potential danger.

I think you're right Jess, everyone is going to have their own opinion and reasoning. Thanks for all the info!! :)

Congrats on 99 days left!!!!

Thank you. Time sure is flying.

Jennuh and Jess are right... We all need all the info we could get. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion and i'm sure no one wants to tell someone how to raise or care for their newborns. It's just a matter of how parents or soon-to-be-parents take take that information. Spreading <3 in this thread. :D

It may just be hormones or something but I am literally in tears. I didn't want to create a controversy or start some sort of issue. I was just excited that I was almost done with the bumpers I have worked on all weekend. If I offended anyone or made anyone mad, I'm sorry. I was just stating my reasoning behind going against the aap and choosing to use bumper pads. If I hadn't done research and read about the risk associated with them, I probably wouldn't have known about the potential danger, and I appreciate the concern and information.

Moving on......I'm over halfway through my list of things I need to get done for this child to arrive. Just a few more things to get! Target has the bottles I want on sale this week for cheaper than the completion discount price so I might try to talk Ronny into getting some.

Aside from bumper pads, I thought there was major controversy regarding co-sleeping... yet I find it's becoming more popular nowadays :shrug: I think to each their own. I use bumper pads and choose not to co-sleep for my own personal reasons. I think every mommy has a right to be informed but yet make their own choices for themselves and their child :thumbup: I'd love to see your bumpers Jess, and anything else you've made! I am jealous at how crafty and motivated you are!

Yup, Monday Jamie... 8am. I'm so nervous and excited! I'd like ya'll to give me your guesses beforehand so we can see who's right!

Cheryl I stopped back to see if you posted your bump update yet...

Don't worry ladies, we feed of of each other's knowledge. On this site alone I have learned so much from everyone about ttc and now being pregnant. I didn't take any offense and actually started reading now as I was completely unaware that there was even issues about bumper pads and I've got one tied down in the crib already.

Jess, it's great how much you've gotten done for baby and I really envy your craftiness in being able to do so much yourself. I don't have the skills. Is it safe to assume your nausea is better as you haven't said much about it lately?

I'm so excited for ourt next gender reveals :dance: I cannot wait to see if team blue will even out a bit.

Jyllian, I'm going to guess girl for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->