Stock

Cookie1979

Reaction score
I have been trying to cook from scratch not only to be healthier but because when I get to the point of my lo eating properly, I want to be able to give him the food we have. So anyway I have started cooking, not very well, but I am trying and alot of the recipes I follow contain stock, but stock contains salt and sugar, at least the one I looked at in my cupboard does. So I take it we can't use stock? Or is there stock that doesn't contain salt or sugar?

Am thinking its all very well me following these recipes, but if my lo can't have it then well its abit of a pain!

Do you ladies let your lo's have food with stock in it?

You can buy special baby stock cubes from Boots, which is what I tend to use in my cooking. Alternatively you can make your own stock with a chicken carcass and/or leftover vegetables. :)

I'm not sure about there but here they sell stock without any added salt which is what I buy, I haven't looked at the other contents though (I should really go do that :lol:)

Thanks ladies.

I will look in Boots then. I'm barely managing to cook, I think trying to make my own stock is going abit too far!! lol

as someone said you can get baby stock or boullion (sp?) do a no added salt stock granules.

i got some kallo stock cubes from morrisons which have virtually no salt, and heinz do one, too, which i have seen in asda in the baby food aisle.

You can get the baby stock in the supermarket, near the baby food. It's more expensive though. I'm going to attempt to make my own & freeze it.

Put a chicken carcass and whole or halved vegetables (e.g. garlic, onions, leeks, carrots, celery) in a large saucepan, add herbs (e.g. bay leaves, rosemary, parsley, thyme, peppercorns) and cold water. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 3-4 hours, skimming as necessary. Sieve it, leave it to cool and then put in the fridge or freezer ready for use. It's very easy, as long as you don't let it boil dry... :blush:

Oh god, i have been using oxo cubes..... Eeekkk, i didnt even consider that wouldnt be ok!!!

Off to store tomorrow to restock my cupboards....

Thank you for this post x

Boots baby stock cubes are great. I use them for all of our cooking now, don't bother with regular stock now as it is so high in salt. You can make veggie stock too using the same method as Freckleonear says, just leave out the chicken obviously and cook until the veggies are soft, about 30-40 mins, drain and the cooking water is your stock. Is quicker than meat stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->