Stopping progesterone in week 13, any issues? Anyone?

Love3Hope4

Mama to 4 & 1 angel WTT
Reaction score
I have been on 200mg of progesterone since week 7. My ob told me to toss it as of this week (last pill was on 13w1d). She has reassured me that I do not need it anymore and that taking it orally, as I was, it really wasn't doing much to begin with. (I have a new OB now/no longer the one who prescribed the meds). But I am TERRIFIED now that I am not taking it. Has ANYONE took it, stopped, and then experienced any type of effects? Any input, please, as I am really worried about this. :wacko:

That's a great question, I was wondering the same. Im only 5w4d and I have been taking it vaginally since 3 days past IUI.

Ripkins...I know. It's stressing me like mad!! I was finally feeling "safe" in the pregnancy and now I feel like I'm 4wks again. Has anyone experienced anything? This may be a better question to put in 2nd trimester....considering that's when women usually come off of it. I think I'll try there.

Hi hun i took 200mg of progesterone from 4 weeks until end of 12th week and was exactly the same WORRIED

But it was fine. I was scared about spotting etc but nothing happened. All the healthcare advisors say end of 12th week so they are now wrong xxx

I stopped last time at 12 weeks.. was fine.. Am on 400mg everyday and I had to start putting it up the back door, as it was causing me SPOTTNG!

I was taking a mere 10 mg twice a day from about 4.5 weeks but I ran out of supplies at 9.5 weeks. It was given to me by a doctor while I was on holiday (that's when i for the bfp). I had a few flights to catch so Obs wanted to keep my uterus calm and steady with the progesterone. But she only gave me enough to last till 9.5 weeks.

I was a bit worried that I might start spotting or even miscarry but everything seemed fine.

11 week and 12+3 week scans showed baby doing fine.

My progesterone dosage was small though so please don't do anything based on my story. Just sharing.

Yes, taking it orally doesn't have as strong an effect as taking it as a suppository, so your doc was right about that.
Your fear is understandable though and every single women on progesterone seems to have this same fear but I've never heard of it going wrong when they stopped.
The placenta can take over as early as 10 weeks, definitely should have taken over by 12 weeks.

I'm only 4 weeks myself right now and on it as a precaution, and I'm sure I'll be just as scared when my time comes to stop, but wanted to share what I know.

I have been on 200mg of progesterone since week 7. My ob told me to toss it as of this week (last pill was on 13w1d). She has reassured me that I do not need it anymore and that taking it orally, as I was, it really wasn't doing much to begin with. (I have a new OB now/no longer the one who prescribed the meds). But I am TERRIFIED now that I am not taking it. Has ANYONE took it, stopped, and then experienced any type of effects? Any input, please, as I am really worried about this. :wacko:

I am on progesterone suppositories from the day I had IUI. My dr told me to continue that until my first US scan. That is going to be 09/09/10. I will be only 6 weeks by then. I don't know if she is going to tell me to continue that by that time.Since you are already past 13 w, may be your dr is right

I was using progesterone suppositories at the beginning of this pregnancy. I stopped taking them at 13 weeks with no side effects or problems. Try not to worry. :hugs:

I was using progesterone suppositories at the beginning of this pregnancy. I stopped taking them at 13 weeks with no side effects or problems. Try not to worry. :hugs:

Holy cow, triplets!!! congrats!!!

I was on 50 mg suppositories from about 6 weeks (the day I went to the dr to confirm the pregnancy.) I had a scan at 5+6 and everything was great. That's when I started the progesterone. Then I went in for a follow up appt for a referral to a new dr. (My ob that prescribed the progesterone doesn't deliver babies anymore.) The dr. that prescribed the suppositories said that with my scan pics and the corpus luteum that I had on my ovary that I could stop the suppositories at 10 weeks. She said to just stop and there should be no problems. At 9 weeks I went to my new dr. I had another scan. Everything looked great. He said to stop them then. He said it's not all that evident that they really help and he thought my former dr. was just trying to pad her bottom line. I liked the reassurance from them but who really knows if they helped or not. It seems like a lot leaked out at night anyway. But, I did stop them that day. I have my next appt on Sept. 8, but I still have my symptoms so I'm guessing everything is still going well. Hope this helps.

I was on 50 mg suppositories from about 6 weeks (the day I went to the dr to confirm the pregnancy.) I had a scan at 5+6 and everything was great. That's when I started the progesterone. Then I went in for a follow up appt for a referral to a new dr. (My ob that prescribed the progesterone doesn't deliver babies anymore.) The dr. that prescribed the suppositories said that with my scan pics and the corpus luteum that I had on my ovary that I could stop the suppositories at 10 weeks. She said to just stop and there should be no problems. At 9 weeks I went to my new dr. I had another scan. Everything looked great. He said to stop them then. He said it's not all that evident that they really help and he thought my former dr. was just trying to pad her bottom line. I liked the reassurance from them but who really knows if they helped or not. It seems like a lot leaked out at night anyway. But, I did stop them that day. I have my next appt on Sept. 8, but I still have my symptoms so I'm guessing everything is still going well. Hope this helps.

I took 200mg suppositories a few cycles back (started them before a BFP because my post-ovulatory progesterone was low). I saw my BBT rise up, and it held off my period. So I don't know about your dose or situation, but they definitely CAN have an effect on your body... and if your issue is falling progesterone that triggers the shedding of your lining, then a strong suppositority CAN prevent that from happening.

Just thought I'd share that! :)
Though my progesterone was finally good on this cycle where I got my BFP... my doc put me on them because its better safe than sorry. They don't hurt, but if your progesterone starts to fall, it can save a pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->