stopping swaddling

Vickie

Hannah & Rhys <3
Reaction score
I know we probably should have stopped by now but swaddling seems to be Hannah's cue that it's bedtime (she's only swaddled at night). She closes her eyes immediately after being swaddled and goes right to sleep. Anyways she's now rolling over and spends most nights sleeping on her stomach. Was reading a website and it said that sleeping that way could cause suffocation if swaddled :shock: So now needless to say we are looking for ways to stop swaddling her at night.

Anyways was reading up on it a bit and some sites suggest doing it slowly i.e. freeing an arm and than a few nights later the other arm etc.

Others suggest using a grobag instead of swaddling so that baby still feels sfae and secure.

Anyone tried any of these methods (or others) with an success?

Mia absolutely refused swaddling past 3.5 months. She just couldn't do it.
However, at night, she falls asleep in my arms wrapped in a blanket, but not swaddled.
I then just set her down to bed and let her free.

Have you been swaddling her arms too this entire time?? lol... I am amazed she let you! Jasmine would only allow us to swaddle her legs from birth, shes always slept with her arms above her head. Now she isn't swaddled at all.

Hannah LOVES being swaddled, arms and all. It calms her right down and puts her to sleep almost immediately! The nights we have tried not to so far have resulted in her waking herself up repeatedly until we finally give in and swaddle her :wacko:

awww... that is cute... have you tried the wedge things? That go on either side of the baby, maybe those would keep her from rolling and keep her being able to be swaddled?

not tried it but might look into it if we can't get her to stop with a grobag. The only reason I hesitate is that she sleeps soooooooooo much better on her stomach now. We put her on her back and within 2 minutes she turns onto her tummy and sleeps really well

I couldn't even find a blanket big enough to try to swaddle Mia at 5 months!

We played with her receiving blanket the other day and I tried to swaddle her, but she just looked like an overflowing burrito.

hmm that is quite the predicament then eh? I hope the growbag works.

We got a blanket from our hospital that is huge and has worked really well for swaddling. It's getting small though! I mean Hannah's over 27 inches long at this point!!

I stopped swaddling Savannah by slowly loosening the blanket over a few nights

Renah won't be swaddled, and hasn't for weeks. She just kicks her blankets off, so I've just been dressing her in fleecy sleepers to keep her warm!

They have the sleeping bag things at Sears!

We swaddled until a couple of weeks ago. She started loosening it herself more and more. One night I just decided to see if she could go without... and here we are, no more swaddling. She was a bit restless for a couple of nights but within a week she was good. For that week I found that I still swaddled her for naps cuz she would sleep a bit longer but now we are swaddle free :D

Well it's after 4 a.m. and Hannah's been up TWO HOURS "talking" to her pacifier because she's not swaddled! :dohh:

Sorry, but :rofl: at talking to her pacifier! So cute! No real advice, as Sam always refused to be swaddled, but once he started moving around more he'd wake himself up if an arm or leg moved or knocked against something but that only lasted a couple of weeks and now he wriggles around all over the place at night but stays asleep. Hopefully she'll get used to not being swaddled after a few nights x

I don't think she's cute at all right now :rofl:

This wont help stop swaddling, so apologies firstly....

But I am always paranoid about suffocation and as a way of stopping Jade and Alfie from rolling over when swaddled, I used to put a rolled blanket semi under them on one side to make it impossible for them to turn, as they couldn't get a momentum going to turn.

My niece only recently stopped being swaddled and she is over 2!! She would have it done in the blistering heat too and sweat like hell :S - But she liked it and it kept her calm.

Alfie stopped at around 5wks or something stupid, he hated it and was strong from the get go! Jade maybe swaddled up until around 4 months.

Good luck babe! :hug:x

We swaddled Joey until he was 4 months, then started using a growbag, he loves it! :) I put it on him straight away with no probs.
Hope something works for you hun x

Oh I just thought, there was one thing we use to do with Jade once we stopped swaddling her, and that was tightly tuck her blankets in so she was anchored down! HTH x

I don't think she's cute at all right now :rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

No advice hon. Chase hasn't like to be swaddled since he was 1 month old. He loves a blanket on him but not swaddling.

This wont help stop swaddling, so apologies firstly....

But I am always paranoid about suffocation and as a way of stopping Jade and Alfie from rolling over when swaddled, I used to put a rolled blanket semi under them on one side to make it impossible for them to turn, as they couldn't get a momentum going to turn.

My niece only recently stopped being swaddled and she is over 2!! She would have it done in the blistering heat too and sweat like hell :S - But she liked it and it kept her calm.

Alfie stopped at around 5wks or something stupid, he hated it and was strong from the get go! Jade maybe swaddled up until around 4 months.

Good luck babe! :hug:x

Sorry to hijack the thread. Just noticed you are pregnant! Huge Congrats! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->