Struggling between Vbac and csec

Koifish

Reaction score
Warning this might be a bit long.

I got a surprise on the way, #3! However I am having a hard time after OB said they will only do a c section. I did not get to have a vaginal birth with my twins because of complications with one. My c section went fine and recovery wasn't bad, it's the epidural that I am dead set against. I hate needles as it is but the needle hurt and went to far and caused a spinal fluid leak giving me a spinal headache aka I thought I was dying.

My one son was transferred to nicu at all children's and set for major surgery. I finally got to go there when the spinal headache kicked in, I saw my son for 1minute before I puked my guts out, the nurse had DH rush me to the emergency room across the street. I was there 8hours and missed my sons surgery, I was heartbroken and had no idea how he was. Then I had to go through the horrible process of having needles shoved in knuckle to pull sterile blood to then have a needle in my back to use the blood to patch it. So also a bit of resentment toward the section causing me to miss this major event for my son.

It was the worst thing I've ever gone through and I explained this to my OB and all she said was we can meet with anesthesia to make sure they don't do it again. I ve been thinking and I am just really not ok with it, I do not want an epidural. I found a hospital near my work that will do Vbac but that also means I have to switch OB, outside of my No Vbac, section only issue I love my ob and I am comfortable with them. If I had to have an emcs I feel confident in them. I really don't know what to do. It's scary to me to switch OB, but I really rather experience what I missed out on and obviously don't want an epidural.

Any advice or has anyone had a spinal headache and had a normal section? Has anyone switched OBs and it went well? If pregnancy goes well I'd love a Vbac, I am just scared and confused on what to do at this point.

Summary: Previous c section ended with spinal fluid leak from epidural, had spinal patch=worst experience I ve had. Do not want an epidural, would prefer Vbac but this requires me to switch hospitals and OB which makes me nervous. Not sure what I want to do, just looking for help/advice/support/place to vent.

Medical mistakes are a horrible horrible thing to live with. Can be so distressing and will probably stay with you forever, especially since it was at a time when it was supposed to be a very happy time in your life. They way I would look at it is, if you had been with the other OB initially you may be 100% happy with them just like you are with your current one. Changing may be scary but also going in for another epidural will be far more traumatising given your experience than changing OB. Maybe just list pros and cons of each, try to work out which will make you less anxious. As someone who has endured 2 medical mistakes I'd be changing doctors (don't have that option here in the uk). Only you know how you cope in situations like thag though. So sorry you had to go through at of that. It really gets to me that if you are a 'victim" of a error in medicine normally you can take it further but in childbirth it's so different, it's always just excused by the doctors doing their best to save the children. While I'm sure you agree you would do anything for your children it's so difficult to deal with these things. wanting to be there for your newborn but can't be because you haven't been looked after properly. Makes me so mad.
I wish you all the best xxx

How awful for you! I'm sorry you missed your son's surgery.

My c section went well but like you, I had a spinal leak. Mine wasn't diagnosed until a week after the baby was born. I was even discharged from hospital with it as they weren't listening to me. By the time I was readmitted into hospital it had pretty much healed itself and I had lost a whole week of my life unable to look after my baby lying flat on my back unable to move because of the headache and awful static crackling in my ears. I didn't need the patch thank God but I would have if they had diagnosed it in time.

I am going in to be induced in 2 days on a mild regime of drugs. I don't want another c section after that. I know is there are risks with induction but I can't go much further as I had a previous vaginal delivery of a large baby who got stuck. I'm positive though.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

I'm going for a vba2c. I had to switch providers to be allowed a tolac. So I totally understand. I was with mine through losses and heartache and she became a good friend. But I can not go through another c-section if I don't have to. I have had a spinal leak (not from my c-sections) after a spinal tap and it was horrendous I thought I was dying. I still have complications to this day! Awful! I'm sorry you are going through such turmoil, but I'd seriously consider a switch to a vbac supportive dr!

I got a surprise on the way, #3! However I am having a hard time after OB said they will only do a c section. I did not get to have a vaginal birth with my twins because of complications with one.

I'm sorry but I have to ask, are you in the States? I only ask because I so frequently hear from pregnant friends over there that a lot of doctors are NOT supportive of a VBAC and will often not agree to it. Honestly, I think it's wrong to not be supportive of a mother's choice in how to deliver. After watching The Business of Being Born childbirth in the States just seems like a money making propaganda for medical professionals.

All woman in NZ are encouraged to deliver vaginally (unless you pay for private health care) and a section is only offered if a medical emergency arises. Second pregnancy you are assessed for the possibility of successful VBAC and if you are willing, are allowed to try for it as long as you accept that you may need a repeat section and you are generally not allowed to have your first VBAC anywhere other than a hospital setting so no home or Birthing Unit. Otherwise then you have the choice if you want another section but only after the first. 2 sections, no VBAC for safety reasons.

If you are dead set you want a VBAC then I would be doing research into finding an OB/GYN who will allow you that. Just because you had one emergency delivery doesn't mean you can't VBAC successfully the next time. My first son was an emergency section, my last 2 were spontaneous labours and un-medicated VBAC. This is your baby, this is your body and this is your recovery time. If I were you I would be fighting tooth and nail for what I believe is the best choice for me.

Best of luck.

I echo what wackymumof2 says as we are the same here in the U.K. I was encouraged to have a VBAC with my DS even though the gap was only 15 months. As wacky said you have to VBAC in a hospital in case there is a problem and an EMCS is needed but I found that more reassuring than anything.
This time round they are encouraging me to have a VBAC again even though I also had an assisted delivery and blood loss as they still think it's a better option.

Also in the U.K. we don't have set doctors/consultants and don't really have a choice in who we see regarding our pregnancy and birth. It's great to have that choice you have but if you feel that after researching you think a VBAC is really the best option for you then don't let having to switch OBs be the thing that stops you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->