Struggling with bath time... ????

seoj

Our family of four...
Reaction score
My LO had issues with baths as a baby- but not for a LONG time now...

The last 2wks though- suddenly, she HATES them again. She obiously needs them- especially with allergies and pollen in the air. We try to give them every 2 days during the summer. The other day I got her interested with bubbles- and she enjoyed it again- so I thought, we are past it! yay. Then last night- it was horrid- she cried big tears and seemed so upset at the thought of her bath- I tried everything to calm her down - but, in the end, I just gave her a quick rub down with a warm cloth (even that she cried the entire time) and got her dressed...

I know it's a stage- not sure why it's happening now? She LOVES water- loves playing in the sink, using her water table outside, using the spray hose... but a bath, nope :nope: Kinda quirky- just thinking I might have to continue with some quick wipe downs till she's past it- unless anyone has another suggestion we haven't already tried?

Ah, parenthood-- just when you think you've cracked the code... it changes ;)

Do you keep the room and the water really warm? Have you tried making it warmer? My LO hated them for awhile but he's gotten much better. I was ready to try anything too and started with the bubbles. I'd say keep trying that and have special bath toys and make sure she isn't cold. A "bath" with a warm cloth would probably still make her cold I would think if it's just like a sponge bath. Or can she try a shower? She should be old enough now I would think if you help her.

I also find it helps to warn LO if I'm going to rinse him. I use a toy submarine or tugboat that pours water and count to 3. That's the part he hates most.

Have you tried a shower? My little guy has his off moments with baths but absolutely loves having showers at the moment

Thanks ladies, I appreciate the input... tried all of it. I honestly think I'm out of ideas! lol.

And actually, she's always hated (still does) showers- gave that a go the other day (in case she'd grown out of it)- but nope. I even offered to take one with her- but no!

She has plenty of toys, body paint for the tub, bubbles (if wanted), warm tub, warm room, even put her waterproof bubble guppy toy in to take a bath first-- but no... I'm just hoping it's a short phase! Maybe I could fit her water table IN the bath :haha:

Does she enjoy it if you spray her with the hose outside? Seeing as it's warm, I'd just go with that! Put it onto a fine-ish spray and let her run around under it for a bit, you can use warm water if you want. When we were little my mum used to put bubble bath in the paddling pool at the end of the day instead of running a fresh bath :)

Does she enjoy it if you spray her with the hose outside? Seeing as it's warm, I'd just go with that! Put it onto a fine-ish spray and let her run around under it for a bit, you can use warm water if you want. When we were little my mum used to put bubble bath in the paddling pool at the end of the day instead of running a fresh bath :)

I have not- that's a good one. I forgot last year I tried "bath" time in her little plastic pool outside- which didn't go well (but that was when she hated baths all the time)- might be worth a go this year as she LOVES playing outside! She's probably live out there right now if we let her! :haha:

Is she speaking much? She hasn't said anything about why she hates it so much? Sorry I couldn't be more help. Maybe there just isn't much you can do but wait.

I was going to suggest putting her in an empty tub and letting her play with the running water while it fills? But it seems like it's the idea of bath time that she dislikes.

I like the idea of bathing her outside, she may consider it still playtime :)

New bath toys? Sometimes even if they already have a ton, just rotating them or getting new ones altogether can make bath time exciting again. Bath paints are another fun activity you could try. You can make some with food coloring and shaving cream in little bowls, let her paint all over the tub, and then it'll rinse right off with the shower when she's all done with her bath.

Thanks ladies- I've tried asking her why she doesn't want a bath, she talks pretty well- but get's so upset in the moment and I'm not sure she even knows how to explain why... (although I try to make it light and fun best I can)- last night I just ran the bath, then got her in with me. She was upset at first- but calmed down after a bit... so that's progress! I wish she likes showers- so much easier! lol.

The weather has cooled down- but once it warms up again- I'll give the outside rinse/bath a try ;) Even a little bubbles in the pool might be good.

Have you tried getting in with her? Ben goes through phases still of refusing them but if I get in with him he loves having someone to play with his toys with him. Also it's a lovely bonding experience IMO.

If it makes you feel any better, Fin is on a real off with the bath at the moment. Normally loves it! No idea. It'll pass. X

Yes- this too shall pass... like all else with kids ;) hehe.

And yes- I've offered to get in, and I actually did last night and eventually she calmed down. So progress made! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->