stuck on couch all night with newborn. normal?

Mabv812

Reaction score
I have a 6 day old newborn and I sleep all night on couch with him because he won't sleep otherwise. Ill bresstfeed him on command and he will fall asleep. If you try to wake him to go to bassinet and will wake cry and won't sleep. If I just let him sleep on me after falling asleep he is ok for an hour or so. But I don't move all night. Is this normal. Having a child hss just turnrd me into a ball of stress and anxiety.

That was my life too in the early days.just do the best u can.its not easy but it does get better.

I have been on the sofa for so long I was thinking of sending out change of address cards :haha:

Last night was the first time bubs and I went upstairs to bed. Normally she is in her basket and I've been sleeping on sofa / put up bed next to her. Mainly as sofa is so comfy to bf. but also so we don't disturb oh and dd1.

Hopefully we will get to leave the sofa soon :hugs:

I brought both mine into bed with me for the first couple of months, wouldn't have slept otherwise!

it would be much more safe to bring your lo to bed with you rather than fall asleep on the couch. When you're so tired it can be dangerous. I spent all my days in front of the TV on the couch in those early times too. I did discover that I had to work really hard to keep her awake and feeding (tickling, gently blowing on her, diaper changes, etc.) or she'd be up in about a half hour to feed again

I slept sitting up in bed with my lo first couple of nights, then we got a cosleeper off ebay and everyone is happy now - can feed without getting up at night and lo is easily comforted so doesn't wake up as much

We were the same, our little lady is now 10 days old and while we do spend a lot of time on the sofa with her she will sleep in her basket. The 2 things we did were making sure she feeds wrapped up in a blanket and goes in the Moses basket in the same blanket - so she's not going from warm arms to cold mattress. Also our girl likes to be snug. So we laid a blanket in her basket and have rolled the sides up in to sausages on either side of her (only up to armpit height) so she lays between the sausages and feels encased in. Those 2 tips plus Ewan the dream sheep have got me sleeping back in my bed :)

Better to learn how to feed side lying and co-sleeping safely than falling asleep on the sofa, I would sit on the sofa to help myself stay awake but would go to bed if I didn't think I could.

And to answer your question, yes it's normal for baby to want to feed around the clock during newborn stage.

It's completely normal for LO to want to feed all the time at this stage and have physical contact with you. I recommend looking up safe bedsharing methods and feeding on your side.

Would give co sleeping a try, all 3 of mine have been nightmares in their Moses basket so they come in with me only way to get some sleep!! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->