Studying? Primary

My ds is year 1. We get 2 homework sheets on a friday. One is spellings and the other is maths, english or topic. This takes him about 10 minutes. He usualy does it after a quick snack on a friday ( i also photocopy it for dd who is 2 so she can do her " homework" and not scribble over ds work. ) he is meant to get a reading book a week, his teacher said she would increase it to 2 books a week, however we have had the same book for almost a month now. Luckily we have a wide range of books at home, ds picks a couple to read at bedtime himself, and one for oh to read to him. We do lots of reading, i enjoy reading and the kids do too. Ds is loving science atm so occasionally, we do one of his science kits, or do a couple simple experiments. Nothing is forced though, all done if he asks. Same with work books. He enjoys them and will sometimes sit down and do a couple pages, or ask us to write out sums for him, or ask us to help him learn his times tables. All of this is done because he wants to, we dont ask him to do any of it. He genuinely enjoys learning, almost as much as he loves power rangers and lego.
Sorry for the typos. On my phone.

That is SO complacent of them to not have changed his book in a month??!!

I actually give up waiting for them to change them. They put a note in his reading log asking us to coment on his reading, seems pointless to me since me and OH are the only ones who read the lig and we already know how his reading is, ( its great, he reads everything, and understands what he reads. If he doesnt he asks and re reads till he gets it) his reading books seem quite easy but its taken me from sepetember to just before half term to get them to asses his level and move him up. We have enough books at home ( possibly have way too many) that he can read whenever he likes.

With ours they change books twice a week but *only* if we have commented in his reading book (to ensure parents are reading with them) we do this most nights (maybe not weekends). We have loads of books but his school books seem to tie in well with what he's doing at school in terms of phonics etc, biff/chip characters etc, so week nights we stick to school books.

My ds is year 1. We get 2 homework sheets on a friday. One is spellings and the other is maths, english or topic. This takes him about 10 minutes. He usualy does it after a quick snack on a friday ( i also photocopy it for dd who is 2 so she can do her " homework" and not scribble over ds work. ) he is meant to get a reading book a week, his teacher said she would increase it to 2 books a week, however we have had the same book for almost a month now. Luckily we have a wide range of books at home, ds picks a couple to read at bedtime himself, and one for oh to read to him. We do lots of reading, i enjoy reading and the kids do too. Ds is loving science atm so occasionally, we do one of his science kits, or do a couple simple experiments. Nothing is forced though, all done if he asks. Same with work books. He enjoys them and will sometimes sit down and do a couple pages, or ask us to write out sums for him, or ask us to help him learn his times tables. All of this is done because he wants to, we dont ask him to do any of it. He genuinely enjoys learning, almost as much as he loves power rangers and lego.

I actually give up waiting for them to change them. They put a note in his reading log asking us to coment on his reading, seems pointless to me since me and OH are the only ones who read the lig and we already know how his reading is, ( its great, he reads everything, and understands what he reads. If he doesnt he asks and re reads till he gets it) his reading books seem quite easy but its taken me from sepetember to just before half term to get them to asses his level and move him up. We have enough books at home ( possibly have way too many) that he can read whenever he likes.

With ours they change books twice a week but *only* if we have commented in his reading book (to ensure parents are reading with them) we do this most nights (maybe not weekends). We have loads of books but his school books seem to tie in well with what he's doing at school in terms of phonics etc, biff/chip characters etc, so week nights we stick to school books.

Id be happy with this sort of of system. But it is just a case of them not doing it. I mentioned in january that ds seems to memorise books, so he doesnt read them he just goes of memory. So we only read the school book once then we switcj to home books. Most nights its a biff chip book, i recently got him the next stages which is the ones he is bringing home anyway so its still the same sort of thing. He does like to read though, and has been trying a few different topic books based on stuff that intrests him. Iv actually filled in his reading log for 3.5/4 weeks before the christmas holidays, with the exact same book. He looses intrest after a few days and it doesnt challenge him.

Id be happy with this sort of of system. But it is just a case of them not doing it. I mentioned in january that ds seems to memorise books, so he doesnt read them he just goes of memory. So we only read the school book once then we switcj to home books. Most nights its a biff chip book, i recently got him the next stages which is the ones he is bringing home anyway so its still the same sort of thing. He does like to read though, and has been trying a few different topic books based on stuff that intrests him. Iv actually filled in his reading log for 3.5/4 weeks before the christmas holidays, with the exact same book. He looses intrest after a few days and it doesnt challenge him.

I mentioned the memorising thing and they said it was an important part of the learning and recognising words again. But that said I'm talking memorising after having a book for 3 days max, a month is utterly pointless and boring, I'd be quite concerned about it tbh, do you know what literacy levels are for that school? Reading is just so fundamental it's terrible how complacent they are about it!

I mentioned the memorising thing and they said it was an important part of the learning and recognising words again. But that said I'm talking memorising after having a book for 3 days max, a month is utterly pointless and boring, I'd be quite concerned about it tbh, do you know what literacy levels are for that school? Reading is just so fundamental it's terrible how complacent they are about it!

Honestly, its one of a long list of issues with the new teacher. He should be having a new book each week i counted and he has had 19 books this school year. I havnt worked out how many books he should have had tbh. I think they follow the oxford levels. With the coloured bands. He is green. Which i think is about 5? Happy to be corrected. A few of the other myms are having the same issue and the kids are all in the same class. It has been mentioned a few times but nothings being done.

Thomas is Year one and has no homework but he's special needs and doesn't work from the national curriculum (ks1). He works from P scales instead. Thomas cannot read so doesn't have books and can barely write so no spelling as everything is still sounded out. He's still mainly doing play focused learning. At home it's the same. I don't actively go out of my way to make him learn but if I can work something in whilst we play that's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->