stupid question. how do i get my baby into my house!

podders91

Reaction score
I know it sounds really daft, but once i explain it'll make sense.

we've just bought our pram, and not until we got home did i wonder how i'm actually going to get baby and pram in and out of the house.

leading up to our front door, we have a step up the side, and then one forwards, and they are huge. I have to put extra effort into getting up these steps. They're not regular kerb size (or even large curb!). And it also goes round a "bend" because of the sideways step.

So i was thinking how i'm going to do this. to tip the pram far enough back to actually get it up the step, the baby would end up sliding down the carrycot and underneath the pram apron!
i can't lift it up the steps on my own either.

it seems that the only way i can do this is to take out the baby and take them inside, to the moses basket, and then go back and get the pram. but i'm not comfortable with the idea of leaving baby inside on their own, OR leaving the pram outside whilst i put the baby down.

sorry it's long, but, any ideas?? :wacko:

I'm sure a few moments to go retrieve the pram shouldn't be an issue. Maybe put the Moses cot close to the door and have the pram as close as possible so when you're getting you can leave the door open and see your baby.

Or if there was a spot outside, like in a vehicle or something that you could always leave it until you need it.

I agree with pp, when my daughter was little we lived in a first floor flat. On occasions I used the buggy I'd have to park it at the bottom of the stairs. Take her up and go back for the buggy. She was fine for a few seconds. Don't think you'll have much other choice really. I used to have to take the buggy down before we went out and go and get her. I did used to try to leave it in the car when I could but wasn't always possible.

Agree with PP, you will be fine putting your baby inside and running out for a few seconds to get the pram. You can put them in the moses basket, a play-yard, or a car seat by the door. As long as they are in a safe spot, they will be fine for such a short time!
If it is collapsible, you can also lift out your baby and hold them and collapse the pram and carry it in.
The other option is just to leave the pram outside until later :p

We have steps leading up to our front door, too. There's no way to get the stroller with the baby in it up the stairs. I always just put my son inside, then got the stroller. To leave the house, we'd just do it in reverse (stroller out first, then get baby). If you live in an area where you are afraid someone will swipe the stroller while you're inside, you can always get a bike lock and attach it to a railing or tree before taking baby inside. the baby will be fine inside for those few seconds alone.

If you really really just don't want to do that, I guess you could get some kind of baby carrier to put baby on your back while you carry the stroller up and down the stairs.

You could always carry a ring sling. It's quick to pop on and pop baby in just to take pram througo then put baby into pram and pop ring sling off. (If heading out)

I would be more worried about wearing the baby in a sling and possibly falling while carrying the stroller in then I would about putting baby down in some safe spot in house.

If you think the stroller could be stolen I would do bike lock or a very cheap stroller.

This is why we're investing in a travel system, the one we choose it's a one hand collapse.

If the pram can be tipped enough to get it up the steps then why not take baby out and hold it while u push the pram in with the other hand?
This will only be an issue until the baby is big enough to be strapped in then he/she won't fall out.
Or, could you look at getting the steps altered into a ramp or something? Xx

If he was asleep in the pram part I used to detach it from the base and bring that in before going back for the frame.
Or transfer him to a bouncer or something, there's always going to be times when you need to leave baby inside for a few minutes I'd just make sure there's no way you can lock yourself out and baby in.
Xx

I would think you could just bring the baby inside and then go back for the pram. It should be ok for a few minutes outside and baby would be ok inside while you grabbed it.

We keep our stroller in the car so I never have to worry about bringing it inside.

Could you go out the back door and around the side? Depends how you house is situated, but just a thought :)

My back door is at the side which has a 6 foot gate, i have dogs so i use that door and let them straight outside anyway, what i am going to do is take baby in and put him in travel cot then go back out for pram while the dogs are outside, he will be fine for a minute on his own :)

You might be able to get the pram up the steps by going backwards. That's how I negotiate steps, you only have to tip it back a little then roll the back wheels up the steps.

thanks for all the suggestions ladies.
tbh it looks like i'm going to have to risk leaving it outside whilst i set baby down inside. i don't really want to since it's not known for being the nicest area..
we don't have a car so we can't leave the pram in the boot, and because we have no car, we didn't buy a travel system, so i dont have a car seat that i can detach and take inside.
the suggestion of getting a ramp is something i'd like, but our landlord refused any structural alterations :( and the suggestion of going round the back, our back door goes into a completely closed garden, so we don't have a back gate :(

i *can* tip the pram to get it up the steps, but they are so huge that even when baby is old enough to be strapped in, he/she would be dangling forward if parent-facing because i have to tip it so far... this wouldn't be a problem if they were normal sized steps, but they are literally huge. even my mother can barely manage climbing them! (i'm also starting to struggle now lol! )

sorry that it was such a stupid question! i just really couldn't think of a way other than leaving the pram outside :dohh:

My pram stays In my car permanently so after we go out I put it back in car, go home and then carry baby inside and pram stays in car

You soon realise never to take a pushchair front wards up/down bigger steps. Just put the back wheels against the steps, lean on it so the person inside always remain vaguely level/leaning backwards rather than forwards and pull up the back wheels kind of wheel up the step but you leaning on the handLe keeps the pushchair level. This a voids the tipping issues and little one slipping or falling out.

Alternatively tip back and lean on handle to lift front wheels. If steps are deep enough you can get up one step to do the same on the next. Not ideal while in lying position but certainly better to tip n back once seated than tipping forwards

Not sure it will work in your circumstance with turn etc to contend with as will depend ln wheelbase size etc. But I'd prob have a go and do a trial run.

Hopefully it's a 4 wheel as 3 wheels tip easier going up/down steep steps.
Also if u have a cesarean u won't be able to get up and down them with baby for a month or 2.
I would be seeing if there's someone u can contact like an ombudsman and say there is no safe entry / exit to property pretty sure the landlord legally has to provide one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->