summer or winter baby

For work reasons I'd love a March or an August baby... Of the two I'd rather a March baby as my mother and I are both March 1st (three gens on one day would rock my world) but also the idea of being heavily pregnant in winter clothing and weather just makes me want to throw things.

Dd was born in December and this one is due in september. I'm glad both will be older ones in the school year but I think I prefer this baby's due date as dd's birthday is so close to xmas. I know she'll never know any different though!

I have a September and December baby. In England/Wales this is the best time for children to be the eldest in their school year which has proven to have a positive impact on education and confidence.

This is a good point if you intend to send to school. We're home educating so luckily can ignore (luckily as DS is a very late July baby!).

I didn't like having a newborn in the summer heat. It made skin-to-skin and BFing less pleasant as we both got all sweaty, and the heat meant he tended to be a bit drowsier when feeding. Not needing many maternity clothes (just light tops, not layers or jumpers) was useful, though, and the sunshine was nice. The apocalyptically early mornings were at least light outside, so didn't feel quite so bad. And a middle of the year birthday is nice to break up the year from Christmas to Christmas.

I remember reading somewhere that Summer (and I think Spring) babies are healthier later in life in terms of heart disease etc than Winter-borns.

One thing I am wondering about is next LO's birthday in relation to DS's. My sister and I have birthdays 11 days apart, which was very good for eliminating jealousy on each other's birthdays - the non-birthday child had either just had theirs or would very soon. It also meant more complicated/expensive parties or those that needed quite a high minimum number of kids could be joint, which we did quite a few times, and big joint presents were a possibility too. Two lots of presents at the same time was probably expensive for my parents though.

So difficult!

I would like a summer baby next. My daughter was born in October and it was very cold, dark and rainy all the time. Id like to be able to get out and about with the pram next time around to relieve cabin fever

I hadn't thought about it with number one but I'm glad he's an august baby because it will save me a years worth of nursery fees than if he'd arrived 2 weeks later as a September baby! I think for number 2 I'd aim for spring/summer again, but it doesn't bother me really.

I have a July and an April baby. For me, spring/summer appeals more for several reasons.
1) everyhting seems better when the sun is shining :haha:. I get a bit glum when the weather is miserable so i thought it might help to combat any potential PND to have a chance at some sunchine! I'm a bit of an over thinkiner :haha:.
2) it is a lot easier getting up early after a night of little sleep when the sun is up, rather than it being dark!
3) I have a summer birthday and as a child I always liked that there was a big gap between Christmas and my birthday, rather than having them close together and having ages to wait for more presents and fun :haha:. So I wanted the same for my LO's.
4) there tend to be less coughs, colds, viruses and bugs around in the summer than in the colder months and that appeals with a little baby.
5) It is easier/nicer to get out and about with a little one in the warmer months- we can just step outside and go for a walk to get some fresh air and sun, rahter than having to go somewhere indoors or stay at home (I do go out everyday but enjoy the walk when the weather is nice, rather than just rushing from A-B).
6) having a baby when the weather was mostly dry and warm was great as it meant I could let my toddler play in the garden or take him to the park to run around and let off steam whilst holding LO. We spent the majority of DD's first few weeks out in the garden with the paddling pool up, sand table out and a few balls and garden toys- DS was able to run around lots and slept better for it, and the house didn't get super messy because we weren't indoors much :haha:.

There are a couple of reasons why I'd like to have an Autumn baby though. Mainly so that they are one of the older, rather than younger ones in their class at school.

Both mine were born in spring which was great as I didn't have to deal with 40+ degree summer days when heavily pregnant.

If we have a 3rd I would prefer a birthdate anywhere from Sept to April. I don't want May as they have to wait a whole extra year to go to school. It could mean having to be heavily pregnant in summer but it would be nice to wear different maternity clothes than the last two times :)

I'm hoping for an early summer baby. If all the timing works out perfectly I will have the baby late June after finishing up my second school year teaching. Haha, we will see how well my master plan comes to fruition. I just really hate winter with an all consuming passion so I would really prefer no December-February babies.

I have one in Jan and one in late Feb. I preferred Feb as once I'd had a couple of weeks to recover/get the hang of bf and be confident taking her out, the weather was getting nicer. If (big if!) I had another I'd quite like a summer or possibly September baby.

Personally id say Feb/March best for school. Not September.

Personally maybe but not according to statistics on academic achievement alone in the UK, there are lots of factors that would make other months preferable for school for other reasons, but the consensus is those older in the year achieve better academically and surprisingly up until secondary school, but this is just a general curve, it isn't right for every child obviously I know plenty of anecdotal evidence that demonstrates the contrary and I think parents and teachers have a bigger impact, it's just a little head start I feel. I wouldnt necessarily aim for autumn just for that reason, but I would avoid late summer for that reason (if possible). If we have a third I would like spring, a compromise.

Imo its about emotional needs as much as academic results :) though my June baby is 'above average' on her sats. It doesnt even matter though as my Miss j will be home schooled. I just feel Feb is a great time with regards for school age to be born. Not eldest in year and the light mornings are in sight. Not to close to Xmas either :)
Im not one fot 'official'😐😇😨 more about my own experiences working at school x

Imo its about emotional needs as much as academic results :) though my June baby is 'above average' on her sats. It doesnt even matter though as my Miss j will be home schooled. I just feel Feb is a great time with regards for school age to be born. Not eldest in year and the light mornings are in sight. Not to close to Xmas either :)
Im not one fot 'official'😐😇😨 more about my own experiences working at school x

Yeah you're probably right, I've read that in the early years children naturally can struggle if a bit younger which causes them to not have the confidence and this then impacts on their learning long term, but I'm sure with the right encouragement from the parents it is something that can be cancelled out, and something in the middle more appropriate and less daunting.

My second was born on December 20th.......definitely don't recommend that (although he was originally due on the 24th so I'm glad he was early! :haha:)

I think I would go for spring next time, especially to space out the birthdays and Christmas a bit! (Me and OH are Nov/Dec too and our anniversary is December :dohh:)

I loved having a November baby, and I'm so glad he'll be older in the school year, I was late August and HATED it for all sorts of reasons.

I also liked having a cute small bump through the summer that wasn't uncomfortable and looked nice in summer dresses.

I'd love another Nov baby but don't think it would be fair as there are lots of birthdays around then. October would be good too.

Im quite into my star signs, so wouldn't mind October for Libra, March for an Aries and May for a Taurus. They would all work well.

I think i would like that too a cute bump in summer would be nice in maxi dresses and november star signs suit too fingers crossed

We had both our children in winter (didn't plan it that way that is just when they were conceived as we were NTNP)

Next time round we are aiming for summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->