sun beds - your views

If it was just a one-off I might use them but tbh I get by with fake tan on the odd occasion I want to look a bit darker. I wouldn't use them regularly just because everyone else is though, I'm sort of used to being the milk bottle so I've never been tempted to anyway :haha:
I don't know what the dangers are really past the scare stories in girly magazines, but to me it's one of those unnecessary potential health hazards that I can just avoid.

Never. Think they should be banned unless for a medical reason (e.g. skin conditions that improve with UV light).

So sad that our society is so obsessed with the colour of our skin. So many skin tones in this world and I just don't understand why one tone is seen as more desirable than another.

Agreed!

I suffered with a severe case of gutate psoriasis when I was younger (just turned 19 when it happened), my whole body was covered and the doc said to get some UV rays whether sun or sunbed.

As it happens we were going to Spain in less than a month so I stuck it out and used the Spanish sun and it did really help,it was mostly cleared after two weeks of Sunshine, but I was (and my mum was) weary of using a sunbed.

Never used one yet.....and probably never will.

I'm really against them and can't believe they're still allowed for use. I always make sure to slather myself in spf cream I'm hardly going to go out of my way to purposefully damage my skin.

I never would. I'd rather be pale. There are some fantastic fake tans and salon spray tans available which I'd much rather use than a sunbed which could risk your health.

This might be because i'm pale or that i've seen enough to cancer in my family for a lifetime but, i genuinely think they should be completely banned.

Just my opinion though :)

I used them when I was young and dumb in high school, as it was the thing to do to look cute. Then I got older, more educated on the matter, and really regret any damage I may have done to myself. I work in cancer diagnostics. Skin cancer cases come at ALL ages. Its not just older people who get it; we get a LOT of young people with skin cancer, teens, twenties, etc, which is enough to scare me straight on the matter. While tanning beds may be safer than being out unprotected in the sun, they are still not safe. They still cause skin cancer, so you really need to weigh that risk in.

Also, just wanted to add about skin protection with tans in general: If your skin has a base tan, you STILL need to be using sun protection. I think this is a HUGE misconception amongst people. They think that once they have a tan, and aren't going to get a sunburn, they don't need to worry about sunscreen. major contributor to skin cancer with all that time skin is exposed without protection. Your skin may not be getting sunburn, but it will still be getting sun damage from the UV rays if not using SPF.

Id burn in 2 seconds flat without sunscreen lol. I use 30spf without fail x

no thank you - i can't believe they're still allowed now we are aware of the risks. i'll stick to pale and interesting!

Having worked in Clinical Oncology and seen what sun beds do to people, there's no way I would ever use one.

No I'd never use one! The risks NEVER outweight a bit of colour imo!

Each to their own but not for me...would rather not look haggered by the time I'm 40!

So unbelievably bad for you too, why chance it?

I used to use them as a teenager and I burnt myself badly on one once. There were no age checks in place or anything and I wasn't aware that they were so dangerous at the time :nope: I wouldn't use one these days. I would love a tan as I think they look gorgeous, but it's just not worth the risk to use a sunbed.

I use them when im coming up to a holiday but even then i wouldnt do it everyday. Maybe every second and building up my mins. Ive never went over 10 and thats just before i go on holiday.

They do scare me after i have been on i spend the whole time looking at my body for moles :dohh: i dunno why i dont just leave it

No way.. Get a spray tan if you want to be browner ( oranger) :)

I hear stories that they can course skin cancer etc but i know plenty that have used them and are fine. I cant use them cus i suffer with ocular albinism so no good for my skin

I hear stories that they can course skin cancer etc but i know plenty that have used them and are fine. I cant use them cus i suffer with ocular albinism so no good for my skin

I know loads of smokers who are so far fine.
What a silly thing to say.

Hasn't there been a lot of recent research saying that use of them once a week for a short period can get rid of seasonal depression and actually be good for health (vitamin D)?

I used them before my wedding for a month. I didn't go brown but I like to think I was slightly less transparently white. I'd use them for a week or so before a holiday too. I wouldn't go on them regularly due to the risk of wrinkles/cancer. Once in a while isn't ideal but it's like an occasional drink or a social cigarette.

I've never used one and doubt I would! Not for me, I'm happy being pasty white and I always use sun cream :) I do however like the occasional drink and social cigarette lol! xx

I've never used them for various reasons, I'm happy with my skin colour, I wouldn't want to risk myhealth and I don't want to look like a leathery old basketball when I'm 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->