Supplementing low supply with cow's milk/ other milk?

freddie

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Hi!

Sorry to repost, I did ask this in the breastfeeding while pregnant thread but haven't had much reply so thought I'd ask all you ladies!

My LO is almost 13 months and I am 14 weeks pregnant...

So it's looking like my supply is pretty low now, many feeds I can't hear any swallowing at all, just sucking so I think LO is often dry nursing. He never used to ask for milk during the day, I fed him on waking, before both naps and before bed and he was happy with that but he is asking a lot all through the day now... After his morning "feed" he is back and forth to me asking for milk and then he asks for it a lot all day.

I am presuming this is because he's not really getting any so he is not satisfied? He doesn't get upset or anything but I feel bad that he clearly wants it and it's not there!

He is good with his food now, his appetite seems to have really picked up in the last couple of months (probably due to much less milk!) but I am wondering if he needs cow's milk or some other milk substitute? The thing is, the last couple of mornings I have tried giving him a little warm cow's milk after his feed but he's just not very interested. He'll take a couple of sips and then chuck it aside. I tried offering it when he keeps coming back asking for milk but it won't do!

I am not sure what to do? Should I be looking for a replacement milk? Does he need it? I'm worried what he might be lacking/ missing out on now that he's not having breastmilk.

An additional note - he was weighed at his 12 month check and he weighs the same as he did 3 months ago. Now the hv was not concerned as he had been putting on weight very fast and had gone off the charts by 9 months so obviously he was due a slow down. Also he started crawling/ pulling up and never stops moving so I know it's all logical and normal but there's still a little part of me that wonders if he'd have slowed down as quickly if my supply hadn't dwindled Argh gotta try to stop feeling guilty...

Sorry for the essay... Any advice would be so appreciated ladies

How are you giving the cow's milk? We just started giving a cup of milk with breakfast when Isaac was around 17 months. I wouldn't try and make it part of your BFing routine personally-just add it in as a drink. We also give plain Greek yogurt and cheese, as it all counts as dairy intake. Don't stress it, just add a few bits into his diet as you can, and he'll pick it up if he needs it (isaac's milk consumption definitely increased around the time I felt my supply dipped)

As for the weight, I'd say if your medical people aren't worried, then don't worry. Toddlers do only gain a couple of kilos over the year, if that (have a look in the red book for the growth charts-I was surprised at how little they gain after the first year. Isaac is only 800g heavier than 12 months ago, but that's perfect for his percentile). If he's started moving, then he will be using more energy for that rather than growth. As long as he's developing in other ways - height, head, language, physically - then I wouldn't be worried about a small gain or a maintain :flower:

My DD1 weaned at 16 months (which was in the April) and she wouldn't try cows milk until September. Oddly she liked it ice cold. It was also a case of finding a cup she liked - which turned out to be an ikea beaker.

She had dairy in food, cereal and lots of cheese and yoghurt so I wasn't too fussed. She is a milk monster now though, it is all she would drink all day given the chance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->