Support thread for all the atheist,agnostic,non-religious and secular humanist TTCers

; Norse mythology? ;) (like Thor, Embla, Hekla and such...)
I´m just being silly ya know. :haha:

Also flower, and bird names, modified. (that´s what my grandmother did).

That's basically what we're trying to do. My husband had crazy stuff like Mountain Ash on his list of names. He told me it was just his process of brainstorming. He's also a composer/musical instrument inventor, and he listed several exotic instrument names that actually could be reasonable baby names. The female one is winning.

Still no boy names, though. We can't have a boy.

Hi ladies!

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread! I was so glad to find it after countless times I've been involved in other threads and felt so disappointed and bordering offended by people replying 'I'll keep you in my prayers' or 'it's all part of god's plan and you will be blessed with a child when he decides it's your time' etc, I have never commented in response to the religious content specifically, for fear of offending others or starting a virtual riot, but then again it does bother me that so many on here assume everyone is religious and shares the same religion they do.

I went to a Christian school, and although my family were never particularly religious, I loved the whole idea of it when I was younger, you just kind of grow up believing that's how it is when you're told that by teachers every day! But as I got older and learned more for myself about the world, it just didn't make sense. Seven years ago I lost my best friend in a car accident, and I lost my dad two years ago this week in a horrific hotel fire where 28 innocent people including children lost their lives, and I think that was the final straw with me and my mum. If god exists, where was he that day and why did he allow it to happen. Doesn't seem like a good plan to me for any reason.

Since that, although I always wanted a church wedding, I realised it was for the wrong reasons and I ended up having a civil ceremony as I thought a church was too hypocritical. Last year myself and DH were asked to be godparents to our friend's son, and I felt so awkward and out of place that day. A lot of our friends have young children and are all getting them christened even though they're not religious at all, which I don't understand.

DH's family are Catholic, and the older ones in particular are quite strong believers still, and I think they're disappointed in those of us that don't follow. Fortunately DH isn't interested in any of it at all.

Anyway sorry for the long post! I'm 30, DH is nearly 31, we just got married in May and have been TTC since then, although still waiting for my cycles to get back to somewhere near normal after BCP.

Good luck to all! xx

Hi, Bubbles! I'm so sorry for your losses--those both sound devastating! It does seem like those who think "God has a plan" have a lot of explaining to do. :hugs:

One of the reasons I can't participation in any religion, aside from the rampant hypocrisy, judgmental behaviors, magical thinking, and denial of science and/or facts, is that it seems like supreme arrogance to say "My religion is right and all others in the history of humankind were wrong." So many religions!

:dust:

With you on that one! There are soapy different religions that they can't all be right, yet they're all convinced theirs is the right one with absolutely no proof. It amazes me how so many millions of people around the world are so drawn in by something they just have to believe is true when noone knows.

Hi ladies!

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread! I was so glad to find it after countless times I've been involved in other threads and felt so disappointed and bordering offended by people replying 'I'll keep you in my prayers' or 'it's all part of god's plan and you will be blessed with a child when he decides it's your time' etc, I have never commented in response to the religious content specifically, for fear of offending others or starting a virtual riot, but then again it does bother me that so many on here assume everyone is religious and shares the same religion they do.

I went to a Christian school, and although my family were never particularly religious, I loved the whole idea of it when I was younger, you just kind of grow up believing that's how it is when you're told that by teachers every day! But as I got older and learned more for myself about the world, it just didn't make sense. Seven years ago I lost my best friend in a car accident, and I lost my dad two years ago this week in a horrific hotel fire where 28 innocent people including children lost their lives, and I think that was the final straw with me and my mum. If god exists, where was he that day and why did he allow it to happen. Doesn't seem like a good plan to me for any reason.

Since that, although I always wanted a church wedding, I realised it was for the wrong reasons and I ended up having a civil ceremony as I thought a church was too hypocritical. Last year myself and DH were asked to be godparents to our friend's son, and I felt so awkward and out of place that day. A lot of our friends have young children and are all getting them christened even though they're not religious at all, which I don't understand.

DH's family are Catholic, and the older ones in particular are quite strong believers still, and I think they're disappointed in those of us that don't follow. Fortunately DH isn't interested in any of it at all.

Anyway sorry for the long post! I'm 30, DH is nearly 31, we just got married in May and have been TTC since then, although still waiting for my cycles to get back to somewhere near normal after BCP.

Good luck to all! xx

Welcome to the thread :)

; Norse mythology? ;) (like Thor, Embla, Hekla and such...)
I´m just being silly ya know. :haha:

Also flower, and bird names, modified. (that´s what my grandmother did).

That's basically what we're trying to do. My husband had crazy stuff like Mountain Ash on his list of names. He told me it was just his process of brainstorming. He's also a composer/musical instrument inventor, and he listed several exotic instrument names that actually could be reasonable baby names. The female one is winning.

Still no boy names, though. We can't have a boy.

Hehe. I have 3 girl names standing by, and one boy name (though I´m trying to talk my OH out of one of the girls names, it´s sure to bring on some severe teasing).
He likes Þórborg Embla (translation: Thor´s City, last name is a traditional icelandic name) Þórborg is a really really heavy name, he likes it because it´s a combination of his grandmothers names... it´s not a common name at all here.
I like Ásrún Huld (basically Aesir´s Writing, last name Hidden)
and Sóley Lilja (Sunny Lily)
For a boy, my favorite is Þorgeir Ezra (traditional icelandic name, and, ironically enough a biblical name "Ezra")

Brilliant, thanks for this. I started hanging around in the mc forums for a while and there are hardly any religious people in there, or maybe they are, but they just don't speak about it much. Since I've moved on to ttc, all I am reading is, like everyone else has said; God will decide, god has a plan for you etc. If there was an enlightened higher being with total power to control life, why would it let such evil things happen in the world and let people suffer so horrifically. If "god" can decide when these people have a baby, surely "god" can stop people starving in Africa? Or does he just hover over a few athletes and ttc'ers and shape their lives, never mind the billions of people who starve every day!!!
Christianity is a nice religion when you are sat in your warm house with a nice turkey to eat on a Sunday after church, not sure about the poor, starving, abused child wandering the streets of Mumbai.

Sorry to get so serious, I am just glad to have an outlet to discuss ttc that doesn't have religious opinions in it that aren't helpful.

Good luck to you all with ttc and hope you get your bfp's soon.

Welcome everyone! It's nice to have others atheists/agnostics/non-religious, etc to share this journey with :thumbup:

@RoccoBoxr That is definitely a tough one. I worry about the same thing. In my family being a godparent is about more than just religion, it's also committing to be a special person in that child's life. If your brother and sister-in-law ask you to be a godparent and they know your beliefs, then I think that it's clear they don't want a religious person in that role. It might be difficult to get through the ceremony repeating things you don't believe though.

@pbl_ge I am trying to avoid overlying Biblical names - ones were the meaning is "God's plan" or something. However, I like traditional names so I wouldn't be surprised if one I pick it one that's mentioned in the Bible. Girl names that aren't in the Bible are a lot easier.

@bubbles82 and @Lynton81 The problem of suffering in the world is ultimately why I stopped believing in an all powerful god that intervenes in daily life. All my life I've felt guilty for the comforts I have while other people struggle to get their basic needs of food, water, and shelter met. I have done nothing to deserve these "gifts from God". I can't believe that a god would be working to help me get the job I wanted or conceive a child when he should have much more important things to be working on. And I didn't see him working on those things. Why let people suffer? Is life just a horrible test for the poor and starving of the world? :huh:

The hardest thing for me to understand has always been the death of children. Religious people never have a better response than "It was part of God's plan." How could innocent children dying be part of god's plan? Well, those same people are never able to answer that. They usually say something like, "Only God knows and it will all make sense in the end." :dohh:

In the end, not believing makes so much more sense to me. It's not always as comforting but it fits what I see in the world. It keeps this whole TTC thing in perspective too :)

I love this thread!

What do you ladies think about a team name for us? I suggest this partly because I think it's important for the heathens to stand up and be proud. I'm sure y'all have read about rampant discrimination and bias against atheists, and I'm sure the same is true for agnostics. E.g.,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...slike-atheists/2011/02/18/AFqgnwGF_story.html

So I'm thinking of something like the "Baby-dancing newlyweds" or "Team Curvy Bumps" for us. I'm not so good at names, so I'm hoping you ladies are better. Perhaps the Friendly Heathen Mommies to Be? The Godless Girls? Errr..., I said I was bad at this.

Anyone into this? Anyone got some good ideas?

I don´t think I fit in any one category, so it might be really hard to find a name for what I "believe"... ;)

How about: The anti religious-nut group or 21st Century realists or Let's praise the womb instead group...... Bit ott maybe, but fun to think of them.

You guys are clearly ace, so glad I found this thread.

I also want to add that; even though the UK has some serious social problems, religion is becoming less of a significant one, in that; most people don't go to church at all and it is very acceptable to be atheist and pro-science etc. The media is very negative about Christianity especially in pop culture programmes and street preachers, of which there are about 3, are pretty much ridiculed.

Now we just have to sort out; teen gangs, riots, football hooligans and general crime and we're there!! Brilliant. xx

I love this thread!

What do you ladies think about a team name for us? I suggest this partly because I think it's important for the heathens to stand up and be proud. I'm sure y'all have read about rampant discrimination and bias against atheists, and I'm sure the same is true for agnostics. E.g.,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...slike-atheists/2011/02/18/AFqgnwGF_story.html

So I'm thinking of something like the "Baby-dancing newlyweds" or "Team Curvy Bumps" for us. I'm not so good at names, so I'm hoping you ladies are better. Perhaps the Friendly Heathen Mommies to Be? The Godless Girls? Errr..., I said I was bad at this.

Ha, I love this idea!!! :laugh2: I too am not very good at thinking of names. I think Godless Girls is funny, and I also like 21st Century Realists. Maybe Team Make Your Own Plan? Nonreligious TTC's? The Happy Heathens? I like alliteration :)

I love this thread!

Ha, I love this idea!!! :laugh2: I too am not very good at thinking of names. I think Godless Girls is funny, and I also like 21st Century Realists. Maybe Team Make Your Own Plan? Nonreligious TTC's? The Happy Heathens? I like alliteration :)

I like those ideas!

Can't think of any good ones, I thought of Religion-free TTC coz it kind of rhymes...

...or Lordless Ladies along the same lines as Godless Girls!

Love it! What do you think?

https://img33.glitterfy.com/12193/glitterfy2062006T744D31.gif

Or should it be Team Religion-Free TTC?

Here's the text for this. Add brackets to the front, before the img, and at the end.

url=https://www.glitterfy.com/]
img]https://img33.glitterfy.com/12193/glitterfy2062006T744D31.gif[/img][/url

That looks great pbl_ge! If you change it to this below (again adding in the brackets), it links to this thread when someone clicks on it. I'm trying it in my signature now. I could go either way on whether to add Team or not.

url=https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/trying-conceive-1/943215-support-thread-all-atheist-agnostic-non-religious-secular-humanist-ttcers-8.html]

That directed to page 8 of the thread so here it is again directing to the first page of the thread. What do you think?

url=https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/trying-conceive-1/943215-support-thread-all-atheist-agnostic-non-religious-secular-humanist-ttcers.html]

I wasn't expecting you to have chosen my suggestion when I popped back in! Thanks for the siggy! :)

I'd thought of a couple more dodgy suggestions:

It's down to me & my man, not god's plan

We only believe in trying to conceive

Testing--this is great!

So how is everyone's TTC stuff going in the midst of all this naming fun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->