surname for baby when parents arent together...?

My DH's parents are not together, and DH has his father's surname. My MIL and FIL do not get along at all, and FIL has not been involved in my husbands life. That being said, I asked my husband once if he wishes he didn't have his dad's last name and he said no. He's really glad that he has his dad's last name regardless of how absent he is because he is still his father, that's his blood and history and nothing can change that. MIL's gone through 3 husbands and taken on and changed her name every time...so where would that have put DH? Constantly changing his name? He says it was hard enough growing up with a single mom, he's glad that he had his dad's surname.

My brother in law and his girlfriend split and now she wishes she'd given her daughter her last name as she only did it on the condition they'd be married someday

My children would have my last name if I wasn't with/married to the childs father

I don't even think you have to be married, just in a relationship...I wouldn't give my baby the last name of someone I wasn't with. Father or not.

I would give LO your surname, and then in the future if you marry the father, you can change it to the fathers surname if you so wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->